Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:49 AM

13 posts, read 42,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
carbondaleproud....First of all, I didn't say that all, or even most, people in Carbondale are white trash. I know lots of good people from Carbondale, and have friends that live there.
No, you didn't say that all of them are "white trash", but the way you put it ("way too many mulletts per capita for me" and "white trash vibe" your words), you made it seem like a few select people were not and the rest of them were all running around wearing mullet hairdos in NASCAR t-shirts. People who oddly enough, are "lots of decent people" (your words). So if they're "lots of decent people", tell me, what gives you the right to backhandedly call them "white trash"? So...what...are they "decent white trash??" Or is the fact that they make less $ than you, or like NASCAR...is that what gives you the right to berate?

True some people will say the same thing and try to sugar coat it but really...what it comes down to is you berating a town and a segment of population (that exists in EVERY town and EVERY corner of the U.S., not just Carbondale) just because they aren't the white-bread, richie, preppie, beautiful people you want to think that you are.

So why can't YOU be "decent people" too? The problem with Carbondale or towns in general isn't the "white trash" or "redneck." The problem is people with a prehistoric, childish, at best high-school mentality towards anyone "different" from them, who spread stupidity and lies about towns they never even grew up in, hardly ever visited, and never even lived in for a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonart View Post
The problem is people with a prehistoric, childish, at best high-school mentality towards anyone "different" from them,

Funny, when I lived up in Archbald and Jermyn, I found the same mentality....towards minorities. Hopefully attitudes are changing, but racism was rampant up there just 10-15 years ago. I would not have wanted to be one of the few black kids that were in my high school.....the remarks and slurs used by people were sad. And I don't really think its a "KKK" type of hatred, I think its just ignorance towards people who different from them. Which is another reason I'm glad I live in Scranton, its a little more diverse than where I grew up, and my kids do not think its "strange" to go to school or play sports with someone of a different race. Growing up in Jermyn and Archbald, people would honestly stare at a black person walking down the street.

And I'm not looking down my nose as some snooty yuppie at Carbondale. I'm far from a yuppie, I live in a simple house in a working-class neighborhood. I don't look down on working-class people, since I am working-class myself. I do look down on ignorance, druggies, and people who make a living off of welfare. And the whole "redneck" lifestyle just doesn't appeal to me...I don't like NASCAR, WWE, hunting, or very much country music (some is OK I guess).

Last edited by FightinPhils; 07-22-2008 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbondaleproud View Post
...while my scanner keeps buzzing with other criminal activity occuring 16 miles away, I can't help but think, "Thank God I live in Carbondale."
I can't even tell you how many times my husband and I said that when we'd watch the news, seeing worse news come from other towns. Often we'd laugh at the local news in comparison to the NY news we used to watch. NY News – murder at 10. Local News – tomato festival at 10.

And the community, at least where I lived, came together whenever there was a snowstorm, helping everybody out. One of my neighbors even had a mini-bulldozer that he'd use when the snow was really bad. Or during one of those times when the river flooded, the response from the fire dept. and townspeople was amazing. And the good times. I miss them. I even used to enjoy sitting on my porch (and once even on the roof of my house), in true "redneck" fashion I guess, and watch the fireworks blooming above the turret of the house on the 4th of July.

One favorite memory I miss so much...walking down Main Street to the Convenient Mart to get a cup of coffee, in the slow-falling, heavenly snow, with the smell of hardwood from fireplaces, meeting and greeting people, poor, rich, and even what this guy calls "white trash" good folk.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:30 AM

If you found the same mentality, just towards race, not class, and are hoping attitudes are changing, then why do you adopt and promote the mentality, towards class, on this forum?

I don't like NASCAR, WWE, and some country music either...it doesn't give me a gold-leafed license to call the people who do like it "white trash." Nor does it give me, or anybody for that matter, the right to look down on them.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,902 times
Default I'

Quote:
For your sake I hope you tone down the volume a bit on mentioning the triple-homicide in Scranton, as incidents like this can happen anywhere. Carbondale's most recent claim to fame might have been an ugly hairy naked guy robbing a convenience store or something several months back because he was "bored," but rest assured as long as there is a serious drug problem in Carbondale (which I know there is from talking with acquaintances there), then the potential always exists for a murder to happen there to, at which point you will have to eat crow.
[/quote]

Dear Mr. ScranBarre,

First of all, you have my most sincere condolences over the loss of someone you knew in that horrific triple-murder. I deal with the public as part of my job, and I'm well aware of how dangerous and odd many people can be. Any loss of life under any circumstance is a very sad thing, and I hold the three victims and their families in my prayers. I hope I did NOT offend anyone by bringing attention to this recent travesty.

The Ugly Hairy Naked Guy ~ Recent claim to fame? THAT was so long ago I almost forgot about it! I used to manage that Turkey Hill on Eighth Ave, and few people know that that same guy was arrested for standing, again, in the attire God gave him at birth, on the roof of the Western Bar on the corner of Salem Avenue and River Street! My friend Detective Aaron Haley cracked (no pun intended) that case, and had I still been working at Turkey Hill and found myself dealing with Ugly Hairy Naked Guy, I would have probably been laughing too hard to call the police. That man needs a hobby!

I was in Pittston once! Someone took me to Cooper's for dinner. The site of that bridge aglow in an assortment of colors made my heart skip. And my heart broke when someone vandalized your firefighters' memorial. Did they ever catch whomever did that? I didn't see much of Pittston, but it seemed like a nice little town. I'm pleased that your local leaders are adopting the nuiscance ordinance. It DOES make a difference!

Carbondale's law ended up being somewhat credited to me and my family after I kept approaching my friends on the police department regarding a troubling property on Dundaff Street, right across from my family homestead in 2003. We ended up with undercover county drug agents in my mother's bedroom while staged drug buys were attempted, and unmarked police cars parked far up the driveway watching the activity across the street on a regular basis. After a short while, the police department collected enough evidence to arrest, not cite, but ARREST the building's owner on 52 counts of owning a nuiscance property. This slumlord was NOT from Scranton, nor out of state, however, but still is a prominent local businessman who made the mistake of telling concerned neighbors along Dundaff Street that he did not care what went on in that house as long as the rent was paid on time. He doesn't own it anymore ...

My position comes with a swing shift, so I miss a lot of what goes on on my block due to either being at work, or sleeping early due to an opening shift. Last year, after an out of state landlord rented to undesirables, my neighbors approached me about problems at the house right next door to mine. I was clueless, but there was actually a huge drug bust there, one evening, while I was at work, and the upstairs tenants were gone. I would have LOVED to see that! A few weeks later, I saw one of the teenaged girls who lived in the downstairs apartment shimmy up a tree and break in to the vacant second floor home. I immediately called the police. They responded quickly, I did not know the particular officer, and wasn't crazy over the way he handled the call. I emailed Mayor Taylor. Within a week, code enforcement arrived with Justin, the police, and the fire department, and an order to vacate the property was posted on the building. My neighbors and I got our "hood" back thanks to that law, a committed administration, and the efforts of my neighbors. The law worked in our favor, and once Pittston has it on the books, you'll reap the same benefits. Everyone who's a law abiding resident needs to stay alert, and keep the police informed of problems. Good luck to your beautiful town!

Oh, and if you ever do find a stunning fixer-upper in Carbondale and move up this way, the Pioneer City would be very lucky and very proud to welcome you! We'll try to keep Ugly Hairey Naked Guy clothed so he's not greeting you in his birthday suit at the city line ...

~ Nancy

Last edited by carbondaleproud; 07-22-2008 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Not familiar with the way the site works and didn't type anything yet!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 19,152 times
Default Racism in Carbondale

I am an African American women who commutes to Carbondale, PA to work for a social service agency. Since I have started there three months ago, my car was spit on. I get the dirty ****** looks and the disgusted. The primary people who work for the agency live in the neighborhood and has worked there for over 18, 19 years. They are pretty much settle in their ways so they don't know truly know how to retain employees in a professional atmoshere because they have been there for so long. The abundance of confederate flags and the constant repetative names of "the colored girl" since I am the only african american working there. I wish I can find something different so I don't have to deal with the concept of being lynched. My tires screech out of Carbondale after 4:30pm. The fear of being there after dark. My car has been scratched up, bumped, blocked in. I feel helpless, out numbered and hopeless. I have looked every where for a new job even with having a master's degree in January, there still isn't the demand as of yet due to the economy. If I were to make complaints to the police, everyone knows everyone in the town. I am sure they speak of me since I have to pick up client's and take them to their appointments in town. Who would I complain to the cops, my supervisor, the mayor? I am scared of the consequences. I guess until something comes up, I have to stay at N....S. But the minute my life is in danger, I will not call the cops, I will call as many civil rights activits as I can. There will be so many black people in Carbondale, when I finish they will think it's Harlem.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroecounty4lilsam View Post
I am an African American women who commutes to Carbondale, PA to work for a social service agency. Since I have started there three months ago, my car was spit on. I get the dirty ****** looks and the disgusted. The primary people who work for the agency live in the neighborhood and has worked there for over 18, 19 years. They are pretty much settle in their ways so they don't know truly know how to retain employees in a professional atmoshere because they have been there for so long. The abundance of confederate flags and the constant repetative names of "the colored girl" since I am the only african american working there. I wish I can find something different so I don't have to deal with the concept of being lynched. My tires screech out of Carbondale after 4:30pm. The fear of being there after dark. My car has been scratched up, bumped, blocked in. I feel helpless, out numbered and hopeless. I have looked every where for a new job even with having a master's degree in January, there still isn't the demand as of yet due to the economy. If I were to make complaints to the police, everyone knows everyone in the town. I am sure they speak of me since I have to pick up client's and take them to their appointments in town. Who would I complain to the cops, my supervisor, the mayor? I am scared of the consequences. I guess until something comes up, I have to stay at N....S. But the minute my life is in danger, I will not call the cops, I will call as many civil rights activits as I can. There will be so many black people in Carbondale, when I finish they will think it's Harlem.
While things in Carbondale may not be ideal, I certainly
do not think you are in any 'real' danger. Confederate
flags are more a symbol of back woods lifestyle than
racial hatred in NEPA. A banner of rebellion for teenage
white males. Calling you a 'colored girl' is more a sign of
ignorance - you can always correct them if it
bothers you.

You say your car has been scratched up, bumped and
blocked in. That's not racism, it's the regular bad NEPA
drivers.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 AM

I lived in Carbondale for over 4 years and never, EVER say a confederate flag anywhere, not even once. I am sorry you went through some baloney with a few really stupid Darwin Award winners, but I have to say that while Carbondale does have it's problems, it is FAR from being a racist place to live. If I were still living there, you would be just as welcome as everyone else to share goodies from our garden, hang out, even just chit-chat at the convenience store. Carbondale is just a small town with small town people living in it who have lived there for decades. If people are calling you colored and it bugs you, TELL THEM TO STOP. As for your car getting scratched...don't let that make you fearful, who hasn't had their car dinged or scratched in NEPA? How do you know it wasn't some dingbat on a cell phone? There's an abundance of those just about everywhere you go.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,819 times
Carbondale is a terrific place to live!!
I have lived in New York [now there's a dump!] London, Dublin,Cork, Limerick, Capetown [South Africa] , Muscat[Oman] , Manchester UK, Los Angeles[dangerous!], Boston, Breda[Netherlands], Esbjerg[Denmark],Hanover [Germany] and lots of otherplaces.
I moved to Carbondale in February '08 on the advice of a friend of mine who is a long term resident of Honesdale. He maintains that Carbondale is better than his hometown!
There is no denying that the facilities here are not of the same calibre of most of the places listed above, BUT who cares? I want a safe environment with a reasonable standard of living. This place has what I want. There is a progressive administration in place and the city will be a worse place if the seeds sown by the present Mayor and Council are not to flourish .
There ought to be dialogue with similar communities here in USA and abroad where the good times have gone and the focus is now on generating a new prosperity in order to garner ideas which may help 'our' case. That prosperity will not happen if the movers and shakers are discouraged by the less desirable elements around. To be fair those elements are replicated in any community on the face of the Earth.Do not 'dumb down' to accommodate; rather seek to inspire.
I agree with correspondents that the school leaves much to be desired, but I and others lay the blame for the failure of the students on the fault of the teaching staff and the charade which passes for a school board. Some of those involved in either the school or on the Board should never have been allowed anywhere near education. They are " educational assassins" Whose self interests rise to the surface, if reports of the Board meetings etc.are to be believed. Radical changes need to be made because, like it or not, the present state of affairs in the school district has occurred on their watch. In other words they are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.
The most precious commodity I have experienced in Carbondale is the amazing generosity and friendliness towards a total stranger,me.
I am appalled by remarks of some correspondents who refer to others amongst us as 'white trash'. They would do well to realise that a decline in personal lifestyle can be only an accident or a protracted illness away. There are people who choose to live that way but that is their prerogative and such name calling tels us more about the name-caller than they may care to divulge.
Anyway --
Carbondale is fine for me. If you are the type who wants/needs Bright lights, REAL crime, box stores,appalling traffic systems, brutal police forces, etc., go and live somewhere else because Carbondale has none of those.Some of the cities listed above may fulfil your needs.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,819 times
Re Racism in Carbondale,
When I worked in Africa ;- Kenya, South Africa and Tanzania, I was a member of a racial minority group. The only comment I can opine to the young lady who feels that she is a victim of racial intolerance in Carbondale [Carbondale?] is to rise above it. You are only a victim of such remarks and comments if you consent to be a 'victim'; to paraphrase Eleanour Roosevelt. You sound like a well educated lady so you ought to be aware that any and every racial/ethnic group has had its share of being vilified depending on the circumstance. Irish, Italians, Hispanics,Whites Blacks have all suffered the 'lash throughout history. It serves no useful purpose to 'threaten' a small town with an 'invasion' of a racial stereotypes. To do this would re-inforce the already inflammatory situation which exists in your view and would solve little or nothing.
Such remarks as you experience are from small-minded individuals and ought not to be taken as indicative of the total population of the city. There are many who would feel that THEIR rights were being infringed should they be 'threatened in their hometown by strangers, however well-meaning those strangers may be. This is not the Deep South of the 50s,60s, or 70s.
No, you should rise above it.As a friend of mine used to say when faced with a similar situation -- "I just try to visualise what they/he/she looks like wearing nothing but a pair of ankle socks and the thought of that makes them look ridiculous to me. "
RISE ABOVE IT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania