Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Timer00,
My feeling is that it will get much worse before it gets better. Transcontinental trucking might be a thing of the past when the Panama Canal finishes it’s makeover. The large container ships can then pull into the east coast ports. That work should be completed in about 5 to 6 years? It could lead to more drivers out of work and companies that pay less. Just more pressure on the drivers that are left to perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM

18 posts, read 29,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Timer00,
My feeling is that it will get much worse before it gets better. Transcontinental trucking might be a thing of the past when the Panama Canal finishes it’s makeover. The large container ships can then pull into the east coast ports. That work should be completed in about 5 to 6 years? It could lead to more drivers out of work and companies that pay less. Just more pressure on the drivers that are left to perform.
I hear ya, I always hear people talking about their plans in 10-15 years for their kids and everything I think to myself we at the rate were going there may not be many decent years left before the country is a shell of its former self which is very sad because everyday I look at my kids and realize how unsure their future really is

Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I-84 is so much less congested than I-80. I also use it to go to NY, rather than take I-80 to the GWB.

Can you give me those directions? I will be heading out to Knoebels in 2 weeks and if there is a different way for me to get past Rt 80 in the Stroud area I would be happy!

Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 PM

Interesting that the issue of non-english speaking drivers has come up. The day after I started this thread, a USPS truck driver came to my job. I asked him if he goes thru NEPA and he said every day. We talked about the accidents and the roads and he hates the area after the Gap on Rt 80 too. He brought up the garbage trucks from NJ and said most of the drivers can't even speak English and that they are not trained well. Well those are the scariest trucks I have encountered but had no idea they were not English speaking and not properly trained. They drive aggressively and are very rude and dangerous! The absolute worst! How do these people get these jobs??????

Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
J5K5LY,
For a while I had a partner, driving sleeper team, that used to drive garbage in NJ. He was a very good driver and had a spotless record. One of the reasons why I don’t like to stereo type anybody - even though sometimes experience tells me differently.
However; like I said before. It was hard for me to get directions at some of the large rail yards (especially in NJ). I have tried to contact drivers, that appeared tired, with my CB. Many times I could not catch up to them, if I wanted to; because of governor on my trucks. Other truckers would also try and complain that the tired driver did not have their CB on or they didn’t speak English. We really don’t know.
Sometimes the State Police would monitor the CB’s and pull over trucks that we thought looked too tired to drive. I have seen that happen down in the Southern states. I presume that it happens up here?

Old 08-03-2010, 08:36 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Can you give me those directions? I will be heading out to Knoebels in 2 weeks and if there is a different way for me to get past Rt 80 in the Stroud area I would be happy!
I'm going out there in 2 weeks myself. I really don't know any other way to get out there but I-80. I would have to look at a map or program my GPS and get back to you.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I'm going out there in 2 weeks myself. I really don't know any other way to get out there but I-80. I would have to look at a map or program my GPS and get back to you.
Thanks. I guess I can just look it up. but then I usually feel most confident going the tried and true way. I would like to skip the Cross Bronx Expwy and Rt 80 just in the stroud area but if there is little traffic, it goes fast. I'll be fine. I need wings on my Jeep to fly over those areas!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
J5K5LY,
For a while I had a partner, driving sleeper team, that used to drive garbage in NJ. He was a very good driver and had a spotless record. One of the reasons why I don’t like to stereo type anybody - even though sometimes experience tells me differently.
However; like I said before. It was hard for me to get directions at some of the large rail yards (especially in NJ). I have tried to contact drivers, that appeared tired, with my CB. Many times I could not catch up to them, if I wanted to; because of governor on my trucks. Other truckers would also try and complain that the tired driver did not have their CB on or they didn’t speak English. We really don’t know.
Sometimes the State Police would monitor the CB’s and pull over trucks that we thought looked too tired to drive. I have seen that happen down in the Southern states. I presume that it happens up here?
I don't like to stereotype either but if the shoe fits, well, there ya go. I never met those drivers so I can't say for sure but this info was from a trucker that drives it every day. I have seen those roll off trucks from Jersey drive extremely recklessly in the Stroud area after the Gap. It was truly frightening and if they shifted the weight or lost control, there is no where for a car to get out of the way. They weave in and out, cut you off, speed, and have NO respect for anyone else. I wish the cops would revoke their licenses!

Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 17,880 times
Quote:
I am now retired. I drove truck for about 15 years or about 1,500,000 miles (100,000 mile per year). I had no accidents. I have known truckers that have driven for 30 and 40 years without any accidents.
I cannot say that I could do it again or any of the 30 or 40 year drivers could either. Conditions change. We did not even know what a cell phone was 40 years ago. Then; truckers were all on CB’s. I also think there was more trucker comradery?
There have been other changes in the last 40 years. Trucks were allowed to be longer and wider in 1988. Doubles were allowed. Our regulations were changed - now we can drive for 11 hours instead of 10 hours. Most of these changes were for the company’s bottom line - not for safety.
Unions are just about out of business. There are a few left. However; their numbers are dwindling. They used to fight for better working conditions. Now they are afraid that they won’t have a job tomorrow.
We also are opening up our borders to truckers (NAFTA) that have a hard time with our language and therefore our laws. The Panama Canal is currently under renovation. When the Canal is finished; it will eliminate much of the transcontinental trucking jobs. The large cargo ships will pull into the eastern and southern ports. This, I think, will further pressure an industry that is already under pressure.
Bottom line is that the public will eventually have to chose whether you want safety or cheap goods.

I see FEMALE (and male) semi drivers on their cell phone all the time. Add in a canadian license plate and that would be the trifecta of SCARY.

I have a 911 only (free) cell phone. I'm 51 and don't believe ANYTHING is important enough to endanger myself and others. It can wait. And I own my own business. I have plenty of excuses to follow the other sheep. If I can avoid doing this, most anyone can.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
I hate to state the obvious, but it appears the area isn't patrolled enough. The word gets out. Is it budget cuts or maybe not enough staffing/cars in that area for the increased traffic?

We ran into a horde of hundreds of NY/NJ based motorcycles one weekend in that area. They rode very recklessly and endangered others as well as themselves. There were many near misses at speed. It was amazing no one was killed or injured (that we know of).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania