Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM

208 posts, read 650,821 times

Advertisements

Where in the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton or Hazleton area can I get a good and tasty plate of creamed dried beef? Yes, I know....it's not exactly good for the diet, but I like to treat myself once or twice a month.

Last edited by pennsynative; 08-11-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: added another city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,138,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Where in the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton or Hazleton area can I get a good and tasty plate of creamed dried beef? Yes, I know....it's not exactly good for the diet, but I like to treat myself once or twice a month.

any greasy spoon diner would have it

Old 08-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
any greasy spoon diner would have it
I'm fully aware of that. That is why I used the word "tasty." I'm looking for a place that makes a good one. I've had the tasteless flour and milk globs many times and do not want to waste my time ordering from those that make it that way. I am not familiar with the diners in the area so please enlighten me.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,381 times
Ever looked at the price of that stuff? Unless I buy premade frozen blocks it costs $7.44 per pound which breaks down to $1.84 per serving not counting the butter, flour and milk. Insanely simple either way, why not just make a small batch?

I would have to charge $6.00 for a small 4oz plate just to keep my gross percentage, Not worth it. The frozen blocks come in around 65 cents a serving but who wants that garbage? Hence, why I don't serve it.

If you want to make a small batch:

Melt butter, add flour, cook till lightly brown, add milk. Simmer with peppercorns and bay leaf for about five minutes. Add the beef and simmer for another 15 or so. Stir constantly to avoid a scorch on the bottom of the pan. Pour over toasted Challah bread or some other nice thick bread, Voila.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,634 times
No, not every greasy spoon has it...........Its almost impossible to find SOS or sausage gravy and biscuits around here..............I don't know of anywhere in the Scranton area that sells it, we just make it at home. If there was a place that I could go for it that I knew of I would be there almost everyday, nothing sticks to your ribs and gives you that full feeling like a heaping plate of SOS over some white toast.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Can’t you just re-up? Perhaps the new, modern army doesn’t approve of SOS anymore?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Mel Roes is on Route 11 near Berwick, which isn't too far away from Hazleton.

www.MenusNEPA.com...Mel Roe's Family Restaurant, Berwick, PA

Tony Thomas's Deli is on S. Main Street near Public Square:

www.MenusNEPA.com...Tony Thomas Deli, Wilkes Barre, PA

These places don't have websites or menus on menusnepa, but they are worth a try since they serve classic diner foods:

S&W Restaurant
149 North Main Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA

Sweet Treat
230 Wyoming Avenue
Kingston, PA

Bus Stop Cafe
2 East Broad Street
Nanticoke, PA

Old 08-11-2010, 08:00 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Ever looked at the price of that stuff? Unless I buy premade frozen blocks it costs $7.44 per pound which breaks down to $1.84 per serving not counting the butter, flour and milk. Insanely simple either way, why not just make a small batch?

I would have to charge $6.00 for a small 4oz plate just to keep my gross percentage, Not worth it. The frozen blocks come in around 65 cents a serving but who wants that garbage? Hence, why I don't serve it.

If you want to make a small batch:

Melt butter, add flour, cook till lightly brown, add milk. Simmer with peppercorns and bay leaf for about five minutes. Add the beef and simmer for another 15 or so. Stir constantly to avoid a scorch on the bottom of the pan. Pour over toasted Challah bread or some other nice thick bread, Voila.
Assuming the cost is 1.84 per serving for the meat, the additional meal ingredients consist of bread,butter,flour,and milk and you would propose a price of $6.00, then you must have one heck of a gross margin %.

To the OP - try the Moosic Diner at the intersection of Rte 11 and 502 in Moosic Pa. I had it there about a year ago and it was very good.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Sorry Fisheye, I've never been in the service. I was raised on this as my grandparents were depression babies and my mom grew up on it.

Chefkey, thanks for the recipe. I have made it at home but can never seem to get it to taste as good (assuming I find a good place to eat it around here lol). I have eaten it in other areas and have been able to get it for $5.00 a plate or less with home fries. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Thanks to the rest of you for diner suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying them all. I'll let you know where I found the best one. I guess that means I will have to do another day of Zumba after visiting each of these places

Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,588 times
That's cool, let us know. Tony Thomas sounds like a good choice since it's so close to us. My wife loves it, she gets the Stouffers frozen kind and makes her own open sandwich, but would love to try something more homemade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania