Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:48 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not talking about premiums, I'm talking HUMAN LIVES.
Go back and re-read your post #17 in this thread.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
What a sicko. And like most sickos this one tries to demean any opposition and has a very closed minded sense of reality.

Seat belts have been statistically proven to save more lives than not wearing seat belts. You can argue all you want, but you are wrong even though you defend your point of ignorance. Now, if I do pass by you some day and you have been ejected from your vehicle, I will respect your decision not to wear a seat belt by just driving by the scene of the accident. You remind of the crazy PA motorcycle drivers who justify riding without a helmet.
First I'm an anti-govt anarchist living in a bunker, now I'm a sicko..

Gotta love the open-minded caring liberals.

Statistics can/are skewed everyday. One needs to look no further than the current administration in the White House as it tries to defend it's dismal performance to create jobs in this country. First time in history I've heard the term "jobs saved" LOL.

There are many factors that come into play with regard to auto accidents and occupant injury. Seat belts are not the saving grace. If you want to wear them fine, that your choice. I opt out. If I get a fine for not doing so, I'll pay it..

If seat belts are so important for passenger safety, why are school buses exempt? After all, if anyone should be protected, it is the precious cargo they haul..

I doubt I will ever need your assistance along the highway. I don't speed, don't drive erractically, maintain safe distances from the vehicle in front of me, don't use a cell phone or text while driving, and will slam bambi to the ground with the bumper of my F250 pickup in a NY minute.

But, thanks for offering your possible assistance..

Old 09-04-2010, 09:19 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
Sure they have the right, but when they split their head open, or in the case of a car driver get ejected through the wind shield, as a tax payer, I don't want to have to pay for all the emergency vehicles, accident scene investigatiion costs, etc, ...and as a commuter, I don't want the road shout down longer because now we have a fatality investigation, and I have to get home late because the person acted like an idiot.

If you want to argue their "liberty" or their "right" to do these things, then let's open the barn doors and get rid of all the laws that restrict impulsive behaviors...speed laws, drug laws, and many, many more.
And also there's the fact that the more injuries from lack of helmets or seatbelts, the more lawsuits. Someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt or helmet should have no right to sue if they get injured in an accident.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:12 AM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post

Statistics can/are skewed everyday. One needs to look no further than the current administration in the White House as it tries to defend it's dismal performance to create jobs in this country. First time in history I've heard the term "jobs saved" LOL.

There are many factors that come into play with regard to auto accidents and occupant injury. Seat belts are not the saving grace. If you want to wear them fine, that your choice. I opt out. If I get a fine for not doing so, I'll pay it..

If seat belts are so important for passenger safety, why are school buses exempt? After all, if anyone should be protected, it is the precious cargo they haul..

I doubt I will ever need your assistance along the highway. I don't speed, don't drive erractically, maintain safe distances from the vehicle in front of me, don't use a cell phone or text while driving, and will slam bambi to the ground with the bumper of my F250 pickup in a NY minute.

First, I am FAR from a liberal.

You are right. Statistics can be skewed. But, show us how the seat belt statistics have been skewed...and please, use some facts.

No one ever said seatbelts are the saving grace, but they do save lives...many of them...and the facts are there to prove it. Why would you not wear one??..afraid of wrinkling you jeans and flannel shirt, does it get caught in your gun rack, or does it just keep you from reaching another beer on the passenger side floor? Or, do you just like ignoring the law and think you are above it?

You make it sound admirable that you are willing to pay the fine if you get a ticket. LOL

OH, BTW...you are right about school buses. It is a shame we can't devise something that would better protect our children, especially the little ones who already get thrown all over from the momentum of a large, bumpy bus. But as someone who drives a school bus, I could never even begin to imagine what it would take to get 50-60 K-2 children buckled in and then each one unbuckled, whether on the way to school or on the way back home. We'd have to start picking them up much earlier than we do now, and they wouldn't get home until much, much later. Already the parents raise hell about how long little Johnny is on the bus.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:16 AM

177 posts, read 467,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
And also there's the fact that the more injuries from lack of helmets or seatbelts, the more lawsuits. Someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt or helmet should have no right to sue if they get injured in an accident.
Now, that is not a bad idea, go phillies. You then can break the law if you don't agree with it or the statistics or just don't like wearing a seat belt or helmet, you can willing pay the fine if you are caught, but you have no right to sue if you get ejected from your car or crack you skull open when you fall off your bike.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
speeding, assault, stealing, etc. All of these things are either enacted for the public good or to curb undesirable behavior.
These are all thing that have direct impacts on other people. You can't claim it as liberty when it can profoundly impact others. The higher insurance rates argument used for things like seat belts is bogus because there is so many activities people do that can impact them. FYI all this safety equipment the insurance companies are pushing for doesn't come cheap, your rates may be lower because of them but the cost of your car has increased.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Three years ago, I was in a show in Scranton and was returning home from the after-party (which was held in a bar), when I came upon a DUI check in Old Forge. It was about one a.m. when I pulled up to the very nice State Police Officer. He asked how I was and handed me some safety literature. Suggested I have a pleasant evening and sent me on my way.

Was I drinking? Had a glass of wine with my sandwich followed by a cup of coffee from a very accommodating bartender.

Was I intoxicated? No, I was not.

Did the officer inquire as to whether or not I had been drinking? Nope.

Guess he took a look at my age and figured I was past having a good time. :snicker:

Altogether, took a little less than a minute.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Go back and re-read your post #17 in this thread.

Meh. I am still talking human lives.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Federal tests have shown time and again that busses are safer than cars or trucks because of compartmentalization. IOW, they don't need seatbelts to make them safe. Cars and trucks are much smaller and more dangerous than busses.

Do you think you can control other people's actions? You can be Perfect Woodsy F250 Driver and still be hit by someone who isn't paying attention. It doesn't even have to be a bad crash. I know someone who lost their son last year when he got into a slow speed, minor crash. He wasn't wearing a seat belt and his head hit (not went though) the steering wheel. The way he hit it, he was killed.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
These are all thing that have direct impacts on other people. You can't claim it as liberty when it can profoundly impact others. The higher insurance rates argument used for things like seat belts is bogus because there is so many activities people do that can impact them. FYI all this safety equipment the insurance companies are pushing for doesn't come cheap, your rates may be lower because of them but the cost of your car has increased.
But not wearing seatbelts DOES effect other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania