Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:20 AM

17 posts, read 98,940 times

Advertisements

We have friends in East Stroudsburg and they have been trying to convince us to move there from VT. We're actually headed there this weekend to check things out. I noticed that a great home on > 1/2 acre can go for only $200-250K, so the housing prices seem quite reasonable.

Also, there seems to be good employment opportunities if you are willing to commute to NJ or NY.

I did notice that the East Stroudsburg grade and middle schools are fine, but both high schools have poor test scores and graduation rates. Is there a reason for this? Any difference between the two high schools? Are there gang or drug problems at the high schools beyond what is considered normal these days? We're wanting to leave VT partially because of the poor quality of our local schools (drugs, teen pregnancy rates, etc.), but will we be getting into a worse situation?

Is the commute into NY difficult traffic-wise, or would a person be better off taking public transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,183 times
you need to go to www.poconocommuter.com I know all about the poconos and the commute. But truly visit www.poconocommuter.com and pose the exact question. YOu will get TONS of advice. I promise you!!!

commute is doable but might wear some people out. Don't drive into NYC take the Martztrailways bus into it. Schools in Monroe county are getting overcrowded. Don't move to stroudsburg, east stroudsburg. Look to surrounding towns. But again, check out the other website.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,215 times
I live in stroudsburg for the past 4 years. The commute to NY is about 2 hours but you need to leave early as traffic gets bad by 6am. The best Schools in the area are in Hamilton County, My Business partner has Kids in School there and cant say enough about them. Good Luck

Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM

10 posts, read 49,643 times
I commute daily to upstate NY and the commute is ok if you can do it either in the early morning or late night, with of course fewer cars on the road. A big minus is truckers are tired at those hours and I've narrowly missed getting in accidents with trucks several times from them drifting halfway into my lane without signaling or they start to brake suddenly for no reason from lack of sleep.
Trying to commute up 81 during midday is a nightmare! Lots of congestion from cars trying to get home, and many delays....thank god I have a gas conserving hybrid!

Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 AM

17 posts, read 98,940 times
Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely factor in the commute when checking out jobs and places to live. I've been spoiled by my 25 minute scenic commute and lack of traffic in VT. You'd have to pay me alot of money to put up with a 2 hour commute with real traffic.

gilsenanb - I'll check out Hamilton County.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 AM

29 posts, read 140,359 times
Stay away from the stoudsberg school district. Lots of gangs and problems with drugs there and high taxes!!! You certainly don't get what you pay for in taxes there. Wallenpaupak school district I believe is the best in all of Northeast PA. Taxes are lower too! Wallenpaupak is part of Pike county. Now there could be an exception to EAst Stroudsberg schools I suppose. Just look at the school report card of Wallenpaupak. Price on a house I feel is always relative to the area anyways. You certaily want to make a good investment decision I'm sure. In some respect thats true with taxes as well but when it comes to stroudsberg you fall short of that. More is not necessarily better.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 47,368 times
Out of curiousity, where in VT are you?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 PM

19 posts, read 79,983 times
Hello Vermonter,

As school systems increase, the schools are able to recruit better teachers and refurbish their buildings. Moving to an up and coming town is precisely the way to go. We moved to East Stroudsburg 3 years into Blue Mt. Lake. We are on the border of Sburg/E burg, and are in the Sburg school district, which is a better school system. We have been very happy. The homes are upscale with no renters/college kids, and are on at least 1/2 acre. No crime seen.......except for kids playing at the pool, breaking a light,etc......

Old 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM

13 posts, read 43,037 times
Default east stroudsburg

High School South is preferable as North (Bushkill) has the majority of the urban kids who have moved in fom NJ & NY to Middle Smithfield & Lehman Townships.

The community & police are aware of minor gang infiltrations and are atempting to deal with it before it takes hold and becomes a real problem. Gangs are here, they are everywhere.

My advice is NOT to move into any of the private communities which represent 80% of the available homes & lots outside of the Boroughs.

Stay in the Borough of East Stroudsburg and you can buy a nice Victorian for $300,000 or less and have the University and Hospital on your doorstep. Borough of Stroudsburg across the bridge is the same. Both are nice small towns. Delaware Water Gap is a very small and attactive town with great restaurants.

The commute is a killer in the long run. However it looks as if the city is coming to east Stroudsburg as Wall Street West will be there within to years.

Check out Pocono Record Pocono Record - serving Monroe and Pike Counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania for local news & forums (mostly locals whining about newcomers) and Pocono Commuter Community Portal has great info for anyone looking to move here and work in NYC.

Good Luck. Visit first and check it out. Dont move north of Marshalls Creek becuase the traffic will drive you mad.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,913 times
Default Home is what you make it

The Poconos can be a nice place to live. There is crime everywhere. It appears there is more opportunity to be victimized when you are not involved in your community or in the schools. You don't have to be the kool aid mom but they should know who you are and you should respond when requested. If you have friends, family or neighbors who share in the lives of your children your experience will be rewarding. Many people move to the Poconos and commute to obtain higher salaries but often the cost of leaving their children at home unsupervised is much higher. It is best, if possible to have a parent or someone local because even the best kids need guidance. I would suggest you explore various neighborhoods yourself to determine your preference. This would include diversity on all levels. Each area carries its owns risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania