Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

We open one gift on Christmas eve too - PJs and slippers. This was a custom from my childhood. I think my mom thought it up so that no one would be wearing worn out or mismatched PJs for all the photos takenon Christmas morning! Good thinking mom! RIP...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
Summer, we are coming over for dinner on 12/26 ok?
Sure, lots of leftovers........I hope. Join the crowd, I think I am having some stayovers.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM

I love all the stories. Christmas is so very full of memories......they all come rushing back.
I got so in the mood for Christmas today that I did a bit more decorations. I put a wreath on the back door that everyone seems to use instead of the front. It has bells I wired on. It is a vine wreath but with red and green sparkles on some of the ends. I added a bow and wa la........

I brought the Angel up from downstairs and she has a lighted candle. I think that the little ones love to see that kind of thing.

I opened up a package to be sure to have enough batteries for three things ......and found it it will be 12 all together. Lucky I have them on hand.

I scattered some lights in a wagon and have to go out for greens to place there and greens for the back window that I scattered lights in too.

I just felt overly festive. I even turned the dining room chairs and table a different way.

Since we are on a tire hunt tomorrow I wanted to be ahead of myself.....I don't know where we will wind up.

Then I must get the cookies going and the last minute food shopping.......

Oh happy day........Isn't Christmas such a busy time, but a joyous time.

Not forgetting that the day is for Jesus, but I think he is surely happy, that we all take such good care of our wonderful families.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
AHHHH,that is SO sweet. But I wouldn't imagine there will be many other people walking around the city on Christmas.
It will be a nice way to pass the day.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It will be a nice way to pass the day.
Yes, that's how so many of us want to spend Christmas, walking around in the cold and snow saying hello to strangers.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I love all the stories. Christmas is so very full of memories......they all come rushing back.
I got so in the mood for Christmas today that I did a bit more decorations. I put a wreath on the back door that everyone seems to use instead of the front. It has bells I wired on. It is a vine wreath but with red and green sparkles on some of the ends. I added a bow and wa la........

I brought the Angel up from downstairs and she has a lighted candle. I think that the little ones love to see that kind of thing.

I opened up a package to be sure to have enough batteries for three things ......and found it it will be 12 all together. Lucky I have them on hand.

I scattered some lights in a wagon and have to go out for greens to place there and greens for the back window that I scattered lights in too.

I just felt overly festive. I even turned the dining room chairs and table a different way.

Since we are on a tire hunt tomorrow I wanted to be ahead of myself.....I don't know where we will wind up.

Then I must get the cookies going and the last minute food shopping.......

Oh happy day........Isn't Christmas such a busy time, but a joyous time.

Not forgetting that the day is for Jesus, but I think he is surely happy, that we all take such good care of our wonderful families.
Great post! Made me feel good just reading it!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Christmas at my house will be 22...Five sons, five DsIL, 9 grands and a couple of "visitors". One GD and her hub are not coming from AZ...They'll stay on base and host a dinner for some of the airmen who aren't able to get to their homes...We'll have "horses ovaries" - Teenie Weenies, deviled eggs, shrimp, cheese and veggie tray. After everyone arrives, around 3ish, we'll dine on roast turkey, prime rib, ham, potato salad, cole slaw, Stuffin' Muffins, beans, baked corn, pickles, olives, cranberry sauce, assorted cookies. (Alcohol is optional. BYOB)Then we get down to business...The children will get gifts from all the aunts and uncles and of course, from The Big G., (that's me), and while they all do some crafts around the kitchen table, the adults will have the grab bag...Throughout the year, I gather gifts of every size and description, put 'em in brown lunch sacks, and everybody gets to pick roughly 10 apiece. Some of the purely useless stuff gets traded - sight unseen, but with the promise that, "You'll love this". So far, no one has been punched for passing off the silly stuff. Then we all say Merry Christmas and good night and it's over 'til next year. Unless some of them want to return the next day. In which case, all they're getting is leftovers!
TheaterGypsy, I stopped by the Pittsburgh/NEPA forums from the NoVA forum to find out how RestonRunner is doing -- am glad I did because I enjoyed reading about and envisioning this happy time at your house! So Merry Christmas from a total stranger!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:58 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Yes, that's how so many of us want to spend Christmas, walking around in the cold and snow saying hello to strangers.
What else would you suggest I do? I'm also looking for volunteer opportunities for the day.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Have a few of your new friends over Christmas night.........have a little bash.
Maybe there is a Christmas dinner going on at a "helping hand" place that you can help at.
Leave a couple of toys at a needy families doorstep......
There is always things to brighten a day.....
Then take a walk in the snow at the park.......

Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Until...this morning I was in full blown Christmas gear, all the shopping is done, the only thing left to do is the food and wrapping and 3 sets of pjs. I spent last night wrapping 600 Christmas presents with some other ladies from the PTA and thought I had all day today to wrap....but sadly my friends father died and that just took the wind out of my sails...

My daughter said she was bringing my granddaughter up Christmas eve...so I have to run and get them their PJS ( my mother started the pj Christmas eve present thingy about 26 years ago!) When I was growing up we were allowed to open one gift on Christmas eve, because back when I was a kid, Santa brought the TREE AND EVERYTHING...ALL ON CHRISTMAS EVE!

Anyway, we always had our gifts from our Uncle George and Aunt Florence about a week or two before Christmas. They would drive out east from Plainview to N. Patchouge to see my Grandma and dropped off our presents! God love em' but my Aunt Florence had the ****ty taste for presents for all us kids. Soooooooooooo it became a family tradition to open up the presents from Aunt Florence and Uncle George on Christmas Eve...just to see if it could top the previous years tacky gift! They never failed to deliver!!!!

When my Uncle George passed in 1984, that Christmas we realized how much we loved those terrible gifts...and it made the next few Christmases feel different...that's when my Mom started buying us ALL PJS FOR CHRISTMAS!!! God do I miss her....and the simple ways she mothered us...she always made it look so easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania