Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And my 7 year old does help me in the kitchen. He peels the veggies for our dinners, he helps mix things with ::gasp:: an electric mixer and he does dishes one night a week.

Good Luck in your search ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I did not shoot everything down. Not at all. I agreed with VB and I also spoke with someone else privately via DM about scouting.

You are being nasty. Telling me to let my kid be a kid, telling me that his time would be better spent on sports and video games, telling me that I am too dumb to know the dangers of a kitchen, etc.

Kids can be kids and also help others and have responsibilities. It's not an either/or proposition. I asked for suggestions on places to volunteer, not on whether he should or not.

I am not of the mind that children always have Happy Fun Play Time free of responsibilities and the like. There is a time and place for everything.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with teaching a child to care for others and help others.

But yet you missed that VB also agreed a kid should be a kid ....

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Good Luck in your search ...
Thank you! And thank you for your invaluable, spot on advice IRT my OP!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Here's my suggestion (besides letting a kid be a kid for the most part).

If you have any close neighbors that you and your family know & trust, who may be elderly, disabled, etc. - then have the kid do some chores around the place. There's enough for every season, a couple times a week.

The plus side:

No burning gas taking him to/from volunteer group venues,

The kid will actually be involved in labor-intensive acts,

The benefit of his volunterism hits close to home (literally),

No money or fund raising involved,
after all, no money should be needed for true charity.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
But yet you missed that VB also agreed a kid should be a kid ....

No, I didn't miss it.

He just doesn't keep harping about it and I have a sneaking suspicion that VB doesn't believe children should have zero responsibilities and be all about themselves either.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
No, I didn't miss it.

He just doesn't keep harping about it and I have a sneaking suspicion that VB doesn't believe children should have zero responsibilities and be all about themselves either.

I have 3

9 and 8

All have chores around the house

Charity starts at Home ...

Have a great Day ...

Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I have 3

9 and 8

All have chores around the house

Charity starts at Home ...

Have a great Day ...

Charity starts at home but it certainly doesn't end there. In my house, doing chores is NOT charity, it's a responsibility for all house members.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
ai - yi - yi!

The reason that now is not the best time of year to join Scouts is because the Blue and Gold banquet is coming up and the den's will be pushing to finish up their ranking requirements. At least that's how it is in the Lehigh Valley and I'm pretty sure that's more or less a national thing.

Seriously, Magritte did not ask for parenting advice, that's another forum. If you really don't have any suggestions, please DO NOT POST on this thread. There is no reason to post on every thread.....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions/ideas for my son and me. I want him to start volunteering, with my help and assistance of course. He is mature for his age and I think he would learn a lot by doing so.

Can any of you think of local agencies, charities, etc that would be a good fit for us?

Thanks!
IMHO, he is too young to be in any organized volunteer group. But, if you go to church, does your church youth group do any community related charity work?
I know our youth group are often visiting people in nursing homes, among other activities.

The Boy/Cub Scouts is an excellent idea as others have mentioned.

If those ideas don't excite you, how about you and your son put on some heavy duty gloves, get trash bags and go to a city park and pick up trash. Most of the parks could use the help.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
ai - yi - yi!

The reason that now is not the best time of year to join Scouts is because the Blue and Gold banquet is coming up and the den's will be pushing to finish up their ranking requirements. At least that's how it is in the Lehigh Valley and I'm pretty sure that's more or less a national thing.

Seriously, Magritte did not ask for parenting advice, that's another forum. If you really don't have any suggestions, please DO NOT POST on this thread. There is no reason to post on every thread.....
I think the winter time is just a bad time for joining activities, period. There are really no sports going on right now and a lot of activities start in the late fall vs. mid winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania