Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,198,879 times

Advertisements

I work with a girl/woman who was born and raised up in the Pocono Region (near Hawley). She's been very helpful giving me pointers and tips about different things and she's been very helpful.

I bought a load of firewood in the fall, told her how much I paid for it and she thought it was a decent price. She then proceeded to tell me that there is different prices for locals than there is for "outsiders".

I don't want to get into a whole transplant vs local debate here, I'm just wondering if it's true. Do locals get better prices on stuff? If so would you admit it? I'm just curious if anyone has experienced this. If I were a merchant I would give my friends and family discounts so I'm not knocking it if it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:30 AM

30,626 posts, read 16,299,054 times
not really sure but it does make sense. There's subtle ways local people compensate that newcomers can't. Seeing your neighbor's favorite coffee on sale and getting some for him. Picking up little Susie when school lets out early so Mom can keep working.... it all kind of balances out. Newcomers, even if they would, haven't been around long to.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM

99 posts, read 235,436 times
I think it might be more an issue of knowing who to buy from. In the case of firewood, being around longer and knowing more people, you might know that so-and-so has pretty high rates, or that his prices aren't bad but the firewood is green.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,198,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepadaisy View Post
I think it might be more an issue of knowing who to buy from. In the case of firewood, being around longer and knowing more people, you might know that so-and-so has pretty high rates, or that his prices aren't bad but the firewood is green.
Ok. That makes sense to me but she was very certain that there are "local" prices and "outsider prices". I though it sounded a little fishy at the time, but who knows?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
When I was delivering coal the only thing I cared about was the color of your money.

Price was the same for everyone, really couldn't have done that even if wanted too because the profit margin was small. Call around for best deal. My guess would be they aren't giving the locals a break but gouging those unfamiliar with the price.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,153,040 times
From what I've heard from locals it's not uncommon for newcomers to get stuck having to pay more for the same thing locals do...it their "revenge" for newcomers moving out here...

Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,632,869 times
It happens around here, but it's more based on skin tone. I'm pretty pale, if I go to the local Napa store I get quoted a 100% mark up on the napa online price. My friends that have a darker complexion get prices at or under the website. I stopped buying parts through napa because of it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,778,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
It happens around here, but it's more based on skin tone. I'm pretty pale, if I go to the local Napa store I get quoted a 100% mark up on the napa online price. My friends that have a darker complexion get prices at or under the website. I stopped buying parts through napa because of it.
I used to work in an auto parts store (not Napa). Generally, the physical stores are usually franchises while the online is owned by corporate. Corporate will sell for slightly above cost, where the franchise has a markup, usually 50-100% of base price.

As for the color issue, not sure about that.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,202,303 times
I sold firewood many years ago and I did not discriminate against transplants. However; I did work harder for the elderly. I don’t mean that I gave them more wood; I would just try to get it closer and sometimes stack it for them.

I can picture some people in the firewood business selling wood that had not been seasoned as long or possibly mixing in our softer woods. I do not think that would be a major consideration - since the sellers would want repeat customers.

The “cord” is the only legal measurement to sell firewood: “The amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet, when the wood is ranked and well stowed. For the purpose of this regulation, "ranked and well stowed" shall be construed to mean that pieces touching and parallel to each other, and stacked in a compact manner.” Copied from: Westmoreland: Regulations for Sale of Firewood

There is wiggle room in this law. Stacked firewood has holes between the individual pieces. The tightest possible stack contains quarter spilt wood that is interlocked. The tightest stack would give you the most wood for your money. That is not always possible because trees vary in size and straightness.

I believe that firewood also has to be “seasoned”? The term seasoned has many interpretations. As far as I know; there is no law that dictates a specific moisture content. Some say that wood never really dies - it takes on the moisture of the surrounding air. Unless it is kill dried and stored in an humidity controlled environment; it will have some moisture. That is why we have doors that stick in rainy periods. I am not familiar with any new laws about seasoned wood - I sold firewood thirty five years ago.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,144,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

The “cord” is the only legal measurement to sell firewood: “The amount of wood that is contained in a space of 128 cubic feet,
You could fit more than 3 tons of coal in that space and it would equal about 3 1/2 to 4 cords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania