Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 55,262 times

Advertisements

Any + or - information about this community would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I live in Pittston Township, which is north (and downhill) along Suscon Road from Thornhurst Country Club Estates (TCCE), and I'm quite familiar with the Thornhurst area as I love to go hiking out there in the warmer months along the Pinchot Trails. I'd have to say that the resounding "pro" AND "con" here is the isolation of TCCE. On the one hand it can be refreshing to just sit on the deck of your A-frame chalet on a Saturday morning sipping coffee and watching deer roaming around, but on the other hand if you ever have a medical emergency it's a LONG HAUL to the nearest hospital---about a half-hour to the Geisinger/Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Plains Township. It's about 15-20 minutes to the nearest conveniences in either Blakeslee or Daleville, and the North Pocono School District's main campus in Moscow is about 25 minutes away, which can be a harrowing drive during inclement weather.

If you're just looking to "get away from it all," then you've found a great place. If you're looking to move here year-round as a permanent resident, then you better be prepared to get used to driving a good distance to your amenities. On the plus side the lack of convenience has made Thornhurst relatively unattractive for sprawl---very few new homes have been built there since 2000.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM

109 posts, read 366,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I live in Pittston Township, which is north (and downhill) along Suscon Road from Thornhurst Country Club Estates (TCCE), and I'm quite familiar with the Thornhurst area as I love to go hiking out there in the warmer months along the Pinchot Trails. I'd have to say that the resounding "pro" AND "con" here is the isolation of TCCE. On the one hand it can be refreshing to just sit on the deck of your A-frame chalet on a Saturday morning sipping coffee and watching deer roaming around, but on the other hand if you ever have a medical emergency it's a LONG HAUL to the nearest hospital---about a half-hour to the Geisinger/Wyoming Valley Medical Center in Plains Township. It's about 15-20 minutes to the nearest conveniences in either Blakeslee or Daleville, and the North Pocono School District's main campus in Moscow is about 25 minutes away, which can be a harrowing drive during inclement weather.

If you're just looking to "get away from it all," then you've found a great place. If you're looking to move here year-round as a permanent resident, then you better be prepared to get used to driving a good distance to your amenities. On the plus side the lack of convenience has made Thornhurst relatively unattractive for sprawl---very few new homes have been built there since 2000.

I know some folks who live in TCC...the isolation is the biggest pro & con. My friend usually would have to drive at least 20 mins just to get to the closest store to pick up some milk, etc...there isn't a convenient mart in the area at all.
Also, there is snow...it's the pocono's so you expect it, but I have heard horror stories in regards to Suscon Rd in the winter.
My friend lives there year round, so in the off season it is quieter than usual. It seems like a nice community, they have a pool and a clubhouse, etc. In the 8 yrs I have known her, I haven't heard her complain about any crime, etc...just the distance it takes to go ANYWHERE. I know she has thought about moving closer to a more suburban area, but she hasn't taken that step yet.
She also hits a deer about once a year (on Suscon Rd), so have a low deductible! But, its county living!!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:48 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,414 times
I grew up in Thornhurst, near TCC... It's a quiet, very rural country spot. I think the only thing I didn't like was the absence of a close store. Although Blakeslee Corners isn't that far really....and if you had an emergency hankering for a good sandwhich, the Pinewood Deli is right there outside of Arrowhead Lakes I love the country setting of Thornhurst, but I do prefer where I live now...which is a few minutes outside of Brodheadsville in the Saylorsburg/Kunkeltown area. Now I have the country setting I love...and the Grocery Store, School, Gas Station, Bank, Pharmacy & Eateries are only 7 minutes away in Brodheadsville. Why don't you rent a home in TCC for a week during the summer, or a weekend...to see if it is a place you can see yourself living.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 11,355 times
I bought a home in Thornhurst 4 years ago (2007) and I have LOVED it ! Yes, it's a drive from convenient stores but you simply have to learn to plan a good pantry. There is the Pinewood Deli 8 min. away and now (2011) there is the large truck stop in Gouldsboro 20 min. away which boasts a Burger King, diesel & gasoline fuels, a convenient store which sell at all hoursostage stamps, copies, fresh coffee, and all the usual things one would want to find at a convenient store. It's also a standard stop for large full commercial buses coming and going to major cities, so I would think one could board such a bus if having prepaid their ticket.
I myself have a theory about Thornhurst's "isolation", I call it the "riff-raff" factor. If you look on a map Thornhurst is the dead center of a triangle of 3 interstate highways: 380,80,& 476. It is close ~ yet far. Driving to Thornhurst from any of them takes 20 min. Nobody from the big city looking to relocate to the country wants to drive those extra minutes. They want to drive 5 minutes or less from the highway. These are the city folks who unknowingly import crime in the form of their unattended teens (example Pocono Country Place in Tobyhanna which is 5 min from the highway & has a gang activity problem). The extra driving time it takes to get to Thornhurst keeps the riff-raff out. This observation is in no way prejudgiced or judgemental. It's just clear obvious statistical facts. People who move to Thornhurst who don't have a solid clear family plan of juggling: paying the bills,keeping the pantry full, being home enough,keeping the kids overseen,and being physically/mentally aggressive enough to deal with the snow....inevitably fail and move from Thornhurst. It takes a certain kind of individual to live here. A pioneering hardy heart. You can't beat the houses in Thornhurst if you pick one with good bones and get a decent fixed rate mortgage from a reputable lender. The nature that abounds here is enough for me to go on for pages ! If you are independant,have a plan,and love nature (forests) MOVE HERE !

Old 03-24-2011, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 11,355 times
I MUST ADD: It took me 25 min to get from my Thornhurst home to Geisinger East Emergency Room in WilkesBarre to meet the ambulance when my child injured himself sking w/ the NP Ski Club this winter. He had the utmost attention in care from the North Pocono School District's Ski Club, the Montauge Mountain Ski Patrol, the ambulance company, and the staff at Geisinger East as well as the doctor that operated on him. The follow-up care I can only compare as equal on all scores with the care my older child got in an urban setting with Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, when he had need for an ambulance. It takes just as long to get across town in city traffic as it does to drive across desolate roads. Granted the ambulance was not coming from TCCE, but I have faith in my Thornhurst Ambulance team's response, especially during off-hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania