Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,699 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My husband and I just moved to an area right outside of Philadelphia. We are looking to purchase a vacation home in the Poconos. We would like to be able to use it as well as do short term rentals with it.

I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed with where to start. We have a budget of about 200,000 - but there is flex room in there if we find a house we absolutely love in a nice area.

It seems like "Camelback" is a popular area, but I was wondering if maybe that wouldn't be a good spot for doing short term rentals because there are so many other homes for rent?

A few others that I have looked into are Lake Naomi, Arrowhead Lake, and Locust Lake.

Does anyone have any suggestions in addition to the areas listed above? Out of the areas listed above, what would be the best option?

We do not have any children but plan to in the next few years. Ideally, we'd like a vacation home that is "year round" with activities to do in each season (snow skiing, water sports, etc.) I would like the home to be in a nice area (it doesn't have to necessarily be a "neighborhood" or a "gated" community, but just a safe, nice, clean area.

I'm just trying to get a grasp on which area would be the nicest and most appealing for vacationers. We are okay with a "mountain home" style house (cabin style, but larger).

I'm looking for 3br 2bath, ideally 4-5br, 2 bath.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 06:22 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
We had a place in Towamensing Trails that we liked. It was closer to Philly than the other places you mentioned. The community has a lake with a beach and pool and is also closer to the Lehigh River for rafting, and it's close to Jack Frost/Big Boulder skiing as well as Skirmish paintball and Hickory Run State park.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 4,699 times
I read somewhere else about Towamensing Trails not having as many "amenities" as the other places. I'm sure that it's all relative. But, since it is close to Jack Frost/Big Boulder and the State Park, that is appealing. I will check it out. Thank you. I also read about Wallenpaupack Lake Estates--- do you know anything about this area?

Old 05-30-2011, 03:59 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
WLE is great. I just got back from our place there and had a great weekend. Lotsof amentiies etc

Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM

159 posts, read 458,125 times
I would also recommend looking at Big Bass Lake in Gouldsboro. When we were looking for a vacation home we also researched Lake Naomi, Split Rock/Lake Harmony, and Towamensing Trails. We decided on Big Bass, but Lake Naomi was also very appealing.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newparesident View Post
I read somewhere else about Towamensing Trails not having as many "amenities" as the other places. I'm sure that it's all relative. But, since it is close to Jack Frost/Big Boulder and the State Park, that is appealing. I will check it out. Thank you. I also read about Wallenpaupack Lake Estates--- do you know anything about this area?
I own at Towamensing Trails as well. Very nice community, very close to Philadelphia area. WLE is awesome, but is also at least another 70 minutes in the car each way.

TT has a lake witha sand beach (small electric motors are allowed, no gas motors). There's beach volleyball, tennis and basketball courts, kids playground, and the pool. Personal canoe/kayak storage right at the lake.
I don't know about public use of Big Boulder lake for a power boat, but 20 minutes south of TT is Beltsville Lake - huge, man-made, power boats allowed. Public use is definitely allowed there.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
I am looking myself. All the above mentioned are perfect! I narrowed my search to WLE/Arrowhead lake Simple fact it is gated for when I am not their.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
I own at Towamensing Trails as well. Very nice community, very close to Philadelphia area. WLE is awesome, but is also at least another 70 minutes in the car each way.

TT has a lake witha sand beach (small electric motors are allowed, no gas motors). There's beach volleyball, tennis and basketball courts, kids playground, and the pool. Personal canoe/kayak storage right at the lake.
I don't know about public use of Big Boulder lake for a power boat, but 20 minutes south of TT is Beltsville Lake - huge, man-made, power boats allowed. Public use is definitely allowed there.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
WLE is not gated, but has a lot of security driving around all the time. JUst fYI ; it maybe better to pick a home further away from the activites and pools if you want quiet and peaceful. Our home is far away from the pools but I love it because we do not get the traffic etc.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
Lake Naomi is very nice, has excellent amenities, but not sure if you could find something for $200,000
or less...they have a website and list sales and rentals on it. You would definitely be able to rent it
out and make your money back...Camelback is nice, there is a community called Four Seasons on
Camelback Road, not gated, with nice homes and townhomes. They are adjacent to skiing, camelbeach,
have a pool and exercise room. Nice community, quiet, family type, This area is close to shopping and
restaurants. Not that crazy about Big Bass Lake anymore. I have friends that live there and they are not too happy lately. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:21 PM

212 posts, read 502,404 times
Lake Naomi is very very nice... but I do not know how much you want to pay to maintain a vacation home... since owning in Lake Naomi probably cost you close to 10k+ in fee every year, tax, community fee alone for the size of the house you are seeking... that is about 1k a month excluding the mortgage (unless you are buying it 200k cash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania