Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

154 posts, read 407,969 times

Advertisements

Hi. I know this is a NEPA thread, but I know so many of us go out to the Jersey Shore for vacations, so I thought I'd ask: where do you recommend going for a family-oriented, not-too-rowdy, not-overly-expensive Jersey Beach vacation? OR: where do you suggest going that's within a reasonable driving distance from NEPA for a nice, by-the-water vacation? It'll be about 4 days worth of staying over, and it's for myself and my daughter & her SO (youngish adults, them---youngish-at-heart, me---) so something with some activities, but not drunken idiotic craziness. I hope I'm making sense. Thanks in advance for your recs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 05:23 AM

273 posts, read 957,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Hi. I know this is a NEPA thread, but I know so many of us go out to the Jersey Shore for vacations, so I thought I'd ask: where do you recommend going for a family-oriented, not-too-rowdy, not-overly-expensive Jersey Beach vacation? OR: where do you suggest going that's within a reasonable driving distance from NEPA for a nice, by-the-water vacation? It'll be about 4 days worth of staying over, and it's for myself and my daughter & her SO (youngish adults, them---youngish-at-heart, me---) so something with some activities, but not drunken idiotic craziness. I hope I'm making sense. Thanks in advance for your recs.
Some questions

How many beds and or rooms do you want? Does the drive time matter and area are you driving from?

July and August are peak season so peak rates and crowds. Are you planning a weekend or mid-week vacation (may find a lower rate).

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Wildwood Crest is nice. The beach is beautiful (no fee), and there are concerts, craft shows and other events throughout the summer. The Wildwood boardwalk is only a few blocks away and has three amusement piers with weekly fireworks. Very family-oriented. Cape May is only minutes away and they have a great zoo there. (No charge, but they ask for a donation).

It takes us about 3 1/2 hours from Wilkes-Barre. If you're in the Poconos, it will be considerably less travel time.

We go every summer for a week and I've never seen the kind of nonsense that they show on Jersey Shore.

Edit: I just noticed that you posted the same request on the New Jersey board. We've spent many summers on LBI. If they tell you they're not too far from the ocean, they're right. But unless you're on the ocean side of the boulevard, it's a good walk. There's no boardwalk on LBI. An amusement park pretty far down the island, and a pricey shopping area that's always crowded. There's miniature golf and several clubs that feature live bands. That's pretty much it.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 06-29-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
I would recommend Ocean City, MD over the Jersey Shore.....its cleaner, nicer boardwalk, and you get more for your money. I do like Ocean City NJ at the Jersey Shore, but its generally overpriced, so you pay for the lack of rowdiness there.

And honestly, Ocean City MD is barely more than a half-hour longer of a drive from NEPA.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Google Maps/directions indicated that it is an hour and 20 minuter longer.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Google Maps/directions indicated that it is an hour and 20 minuter longer.
Well I guess it would depend on what part of the Jersey shore you're talking about, but when I would go there it was usually Ocean City or Wildwood Crest...and that would take me about 3.5 hours from Scranton, and I make it to OC MD in about 4.

I mapped it on Google maps from Scranton and it shows almost exactly an hour longer to Ocean City MD than to Wildwood Crest, but in reality its closer to a half-hour...probably because Google maps isn't taking into consideration the traffic you'll hit on the way to NJ on the Schuylkill in Philly, but when you're going to MD, you skirt around Philly on the Blue Route on the way to 95 to go to Delaware...much less traffic.

Even if it was 2 hours longer, I'd still bypass NJ and go to MD.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,563 times
For families? Ocean City/The Wildwoods/Cape May Ocean City is dry so there's none of the kind of crap that goes on at Seaside (We call it Sleazeside in NJ for a reason). Wildwood beaches have no fee which is a big plus (depending on where you are a daily beach pass in NJ will run you anywhere from $5-$10 per person and not all towns offer weekly/season passes, particularly the more northern ones.)

Also, Cape May is lovely all around. Can't give you any idea what a rental would run but we're definitely going into the peak season as the water is no longer ice cold.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
For families? Ocean City/The Wildwoods/Cape May Ocean City is dry so there's none of the kind of crap that goes on at Seaside (We call it Sleazeside in NJ for a reason). Wildwood beaches have no fee which is a big plus (depending on where you are a daily beach pass in NJ will run you anywhere from $5-$10 per person and not all towns offer weekly/season passes, particularly the more northern ones.)

Also, Cape May is lovely all around. Can't give you any idea what a rental would run but we're definitely going into the peak season as the water is no longer ice cold.
Wildwood isn't dry....it kind of has the same element as Seaside, maybe on a slightly smaller scale. But Wildwood Crest is dry.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM

273 posts, read 957,466 times
Avalon/Stone Harbor is very nice but not the cheapest. Use mid week and off peak deals if you are flexible. Spring and autumn are really nice if that works.

It is quiet, upscale, and nicely located for day trips to AC, OC, Cape May, etc. if you want some 'excitement' beyond the beach, pool, dining and shopping.

Many hotels and rentals places (even houses and condos) will include some beach badges if they are required in the town.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM

539 posts, read 1,069,201 times
I was reading on CNN or somewhere, that all over the US, a lot of beaches aren't really that safe or even effectively monitored. More than pollution, bacteria is a risk, like contamination from raw sewage, etc., which can cause hepatitis. It's very widespread, including the gulf coast, Atlantic coast, Pacific and the Great Lakes, but the conditions are variable. Even places like Maine aren't immune to it. I would say if it looks and smells ok, go for it, but just maybe up to your legs, etc., I wouldn't risk it if you put yourself in a position to get any water in your mouth or swallow it anywhere. And probably best to shower down ASAP afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania