Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:27 PM

99 posts, read 310,234 times

Advertisements

As a person residing in Queens New York, I often get confused with the three counties of Wayne, Pike and Monroe and generally lump them all as "Northeast PA". I can see where they are on a map and what their boundaries are. im just wondering if their are differences when it comes to neighborhoods, schools,populations, as well as the police, hospitals, fire departments and the people itself.

Looking to purchase a home next year with my wife and two kids.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Generally speaking Monroe County is the most "suburbanized" of those three counties you have listed. The Greater Stroudsburg Area is home to a growing number of chain restaurants, big-box stores, and gradually increasing crime (a byproduct of the rapid population growth), property taxes (to pay for new schools and infrastructure to accommodate new residents), and traffic congestion (too many people moving into an area with a lot of two-lane roads). Given that I-80 runs right through the area this is the most common choice of counties for people who are looking to save money on housing while commuting back to work in Northern NJ or NYC. There are still some pristine and untouched natural areas in Monroe County, but I foresee those areas continuing to become far fewer in the coming decades as the population growth continues.

Wayne and Pike Counties, overall, are considerably more rural. Pike County is home to Milford, a small county seat with a walkable downtown, Matamoras, which is another tiny town located near where NY, NJ, and PA meet along the Delaware River, and then a host of smaller rural hamlets like Pecks Pond, Lords Valley, Shohola, etc. Probably the most "urbanized" part of Pike County in the coming years will be the Bushkill area, which is just north of the Monroe County line. Lake Wallenpaupack straddles the border between Pike and Wayne Counties and has a lot of allure, especially in the summer, for vacationers. If you were looking to commute back into the city from Northern Pike County your best bet would probably be to take the train in from Port Jervis, NY (a LONG commute). From Southern Pike County you'd try to get down to I-80 near the Delaware Water Gap.

Wayne County is really too far to consider commuting back into NYC, but in my opinion it offers the best overall quality-of-life out of the three counties. Honesdale, which is larger than Milford and is the county seat, is very much like "Mayberry". Northern Wayne County, up in areas like Starlight, Damascus, Poyntelle, etc., is truly very unspoiled and serene. The Southern part of Wayne County in areas like Gouldsboro (including Big Bass Lake), Hamlin, Sterling, and Lake Ariel is probably the fastest-growing part of the county.

Monroe County will have the most transient population, the greatest NYC infulence, and the most new growth. Pike County is a bit more balanced in terms of natives and transplants. Wayne County has far fewer NYC/NJ transplants than the other two counties, and many people in Wayne County probably align themselves more with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area than with NYC.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM

941 posts, read 1,804,981 times
Default making me wish for honesdale

Steel city rising... your descriptions are concise and quite visual.
I always end up wanting to move to honesdale .. life is short.. live comfy!
Too bad the train (in port jervis is so far away)... but we will be driving up to take a look and breathe in the mayberry air.
Thanks always.. Countryswan

Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM

212 posts, read 502,608 times
Do not forget Carbon County... it is wonderful here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
As a person residing in Queens New York, I often get confused with the three counties of Wayne, Pike and Monroe and generally lump them all as "Northeast PA". I can see where they are on a map and what their boundaries are. im just wondering if their are differences when it comes to neighborhoods, schools,populations, as well as the police, hospitals, fire departments and the people itself.

Looking to purchase a home next year with my wife and two kids.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Generally speaking Monroe County is the most "suburbanized" of those three counties you have listed. The Greater Stroudsburg Area is home to a growing number of chain restaurants, big-box stores, and gradually increasing crime (a byproduct of the rapid population growth), property taxes (to pay for new schools and infrastructure to accommodate new residents), and traffic congestion (too many people moving into an area with a lot of two-lane roads). Given that I-80 runs right through the area this is the most common choice of counties for people who are looking to save money on housing while commuting back to work in Northern NJ or NYC. There are still some pristine and untouched natural areas in Monroe County, but I foresee those areas continuing to become far fewer in the coming decades as the population growth continues.

Wayne and Pike Counties, overall, are considerably more rural. Pike County is home to Milford, a small county seat with a walkable downtown, Matamoras, which is another tiny town located near where NY, NJ, and PA meet along the Delaware River, and then a host of smaller rural hamlets like Pecks Pond, Lords Valley, Shohola, etc. Probably the most "urbanized" part of Pike County in the coming years will be the Bushkill area, which is just north of the Monroe County line. Lake Wallenpaupack straddles the border between Pike and Wayne Counties and has a lot of allure, especially in the summer, for vacationers. If you were looking to commute back into the city from Northern Pike County your best bet would probably be to take the train in from Port Jervis, NY (a LONG commute). From Southern Pike County you'd try to get down to I-80 near the Delaware Water Gap.

Wayne County is really too far to consider commuting back into NYC, but in my opinion it offers the best overall quality-of-life out of the three counties. Honesdale, which is larger than Milford and is the county seat, is very much like "Mayberry". Northern Wayne County, up in areas like Starlight, Damascus, Poyntelle, etc., is truly very unspoiled and serene. The Southern part of Wayne County in areas like Gouldsboro (including Big Bass Lake), Hamlin, Sterling, and Lake Ariel is probably the fastest-growing part of the county.

Monroe County will have the most transient population, the greatest NYC infulence, and the most new growth. Pike County is a bit more balanced in terms of natives and transplants. Wayne County has far fewer NYC/NJ transplants than the other two counties, and many people in Wayne County probably align themselves more with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area than with NYC.
Steel City,
As a resident of Bushkill, I'd have to say that your description is accurate. A little too urban for me. It is still scenic but too many NYC/NJ urbanites for my taste. Want to move further north of the county to Porters Lake, Lords Valley or even Lake Wallenpaupack Area. I shop in Milford/Matamoras areas so I like that place as well. Since I am here, I am making the best of it. I commute to the city so this works for me instead of Wayne County. That county is the most desirable in terms of quality of life, decent schools, etc. Don't want my children attending East 'burg district if I can help it. Anyone have any kids attending Notre Dame E.S. I could use some info on tuition, etc.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:13 PM

99 posts, read 310,234 times
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question. (Especially: "Steel City Rising" who was very informative).
I have to been to alot of the places you all have mentioned including Honesdale,Bushkill, Stroudsberg, etc. I too like the quieter more scenic areas. But with that being said I am also very realistic to the fact that Monroe may be the best because the wife and I will both be commuting to the city and sourounding areas. She also likes being close to those big chain stores you mentioned.
Are they any good school districts in Monroe? I already know to avoid the Stroudsberg SD. At this time we cannot afford to take the private schooling route. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,940,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Steel City,
As a resident of Bushkill, I'd have to say that your description is accurate. A little too urban for me. It is still scenic but too many NYC/NJ urbanites for my taste. Want to move further north of the county to Porters Lake, Lords Valley or even Lake Wallenpaupack Area. I shop in Milford/Matamoras areas so I like that place as well. Since I am here, I am making the best of it. I commute to the city so this works for me instead of Wayne County. That county is the most desirable in terms of quality of life, decent schools, etc. Don't want my children attending East 'burg district if I can help it. Anyone have any kids attending Notre Dame E.S. I could use some info on tuition, etc.
Quiet Life,

I do not have children attending Notre Dame E.S. but have heard good things. Another option (although farther away) is Faith Christian School Roseto, to which there is a public transportation option from Bushkill (one of my son's classmates has been coming down for yrs - for kindergarten she got a private van ride to school)

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM

234 posts, read 940,124 times
I live in Pike County, and I can tell you that SteelCityRising gave you an excellent description of the three counties that you mentioned. I cannot argue with anything that he said.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,359,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Quiet Life,

I do not have children attending Notre Dame E.S. but have heard good things. Another option (although farther away) is Faith Christian School Roseto, to which there is a public transportation option from Bushkill (one of my son's classmates has been coming down for yrs - for kindergarten she got a private van ride to school)
Thanks, Karen. I will gather info.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Spot on. I prefer Wayne county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania