Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 PM

13 posts, read 59,097 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm eighteen years-old and I'm from Pottsville, Schuylkill County and I see NEPA going downhill, because whenever I watch newswatch 16, I see roberies, rapes, murders, houses in very bad shape, and square-looking people.
I've visited Scranton/Wilkes-Barre numerous times and their downtown is listless and lacking young professionals and has a low gay-male population. If I had to live in either Scranton or in a Central County, like Clinton County, I would choose Scranton because of the proximity to NYC and has more than hunting and outdoor activities.
Pottsville is a great little city, but I'm not going to lie... It's economically depressed and is no better than Scranton. The only thing Pottsville is good for is you will see the light at the end of the tunnel to its proximity to cities like Reading, Allentown, and is an hour and 45 minutes to get to Philly.
Do you think NEPA is going in the right direction or going for disaster?

-Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasd0290 View Post
Hello,

I'm eighteen years-old and I'm from Pottsville, Schuylkill County and I see NEPA going downhill, because whenever I watch newswatch 16, I see roberies, rapes, murders, houses in very bad shape, and square-looking people.
I've visited Scranton/Wilkes-Barre numerous times and their downtown is listless and lacking young professionals and has a low gay-male population. If I had to live in either Scranton or in a Central County, like Clinton County, I would choose Scranton because of the proximity to NYC and has more than hunting and outdoor activities.
Pottsville is a great little city, but I'm not going to lie... It's economically depressed and is no better than Scranton. The only thing Pottsville is good for is you will see the light at the end of the tunnel to its proximity to cities like Reading, Allentown, and is an hour and 45 minutes to get to Philly.

-Adam

Welcome to the forum, Adam. It's very nice to meet you. I'm 20-years-old, and I'm choosing to stay in Scranton after graduate school to court my partner, adopt and raise my children, and establish my own firm because I think it is on the verge of a major economic revival in a few more years. Schuylkill County, in my opinion, is much more depressing than Scranton because from all my visits to Frackville, Shenandoah, Mahanoy City, etc. all I've seen is block after block of poorly-kept rowhomes and 1980s-model vehicles, both of which just scream "poor economy." It truly says something when Wal-Mart comes to Schuylkill County and they get literally thousands of applications. On the other hand, all you see in Scranton are late-model vehicles (although granted most are middle-class ones like Camrys, Accords, and Explorers), and the economy up here just seems to be a lot better diversified with major installations for firms like MetLife, Prudential Financial, CIGNA HealthCare, Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals, Lockheed-Martin, Sallie Mae, Parente-Randolph, etc. There are people making a great living for themselves in NEPA---most who whine about there being "no jobs" are the ones who have dropped out of high school and expect a high-paying job to be handed to them when they don't have the skills necessary to obtain one.

Overall, I think NEPA is headed in the right direction. Crime is unfortunately on the increase, but so is the population. In the 1980s, people used to talk about NEPA and NY/NJ as being separate entities. Now in 2007, it is much more common to hear people lumping us together with them as well because the boundaries that separated us are growing nearer and nearer to one another. Hell, Pike County (Milford) is no longer considered part of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and is no longer covered by the local media---it is now officially part of the NYC CMSA, which will also (I would assume) include Monroe County by 2010. Berks County (Reading) was just annexed by Philadelphia's CMSA, and I'd assume that Lehigh and Northampton Counties will be annexed as well by 2020. This leaves Scranton/Wilkes-Barre literally on the doorstep of the big cities. One could say they OFFICIALLY only live 15-20 minutes from "Greater New York City" or "Greater Philadelphia." I think it's fascinating how much closer and closer NEPA is becoming aligned with the cities, yet the locals won't admit it. When you factor in the potential for
Wall Street West, the proposed commuter rail link between Scranton and Hoboken, NJ, the hype Scranton is now getting over "The Office," etc., I think we're truly going to be rebounding by leaps and bounds over the next decade. I'm considering buying a home in the city of Scranton soon before property values rise even further than they already have since 2000. NEPA is not without its faults, but I think better days are ahead.

P.S. As a fellow gay male, let me just tell you that the local LGBT population is ENORMOUS, as much as the local "redneck" stereotype would lead you to think otherwise. I've been open about my sexuality now since 2005, yet I've only encountered prejudice in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on a few select occasions. Believe it or not, most people in NEPA have the "if they're not bothering me, then why should I care?" type of attitude, and I think you'll see the gay community's presence growing stronger here as well in the upcoming years. Allentown already hosts a major annual pride festival, and the latest rumor is that Scranton will soon be hosting one as well. I'm not the "out and proud" type, so I don't hit up the local gay clubs, but it's nice to know my odds (and yours) of finding a partner in the future are only going to improve, especially as more New Yorkers/New Jersians move here.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:53 PM

13 posts, read 44,575 times
Let me just say, as someone who moved here 13 yrs ago, I have seen a LOT of changes - for the better - and for the worse.

I live in the Upper Hill section (think CMC, Nay Aug area) and the drugs that have come to this area is sickening.

I have three small children and I am afraid to play outside in our yard because of our neighborhood. When we bought our house here four years ago, it was a very nice block. The one we live on is still nice, but the next block up, the block behind us and two blocks behind us are now a huge drug triangle.

We have seen more drug transactions happen ON OUR CORNER, IN BROAD DAYLIGHT - and reported them - and seen NOTHING happen with the city authorities.

We are now in the midst of a huge issue with three houses surrounding us. My entire block is trying to stand strong, but how long can we go on? How long will the mayor and his henchmen turn a blind eye?

Will it take all of us to pick up and move out before someone does something? Will it take one of our children getting caught in the crossfire and a lawsuit?

I have to say, I am ready to move out of here. If we had the money, we would be gone tomorrow. Without looking back.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 11,907 times
hi,

imy sister move 2 years ago to mahanoy city and she keeps telling me to move over there and i be like let me see im from jersey city right next to new york i was born and raise in the city ive been to mahanoy with my kids theres alot of abandoned houses but people are relly nice. life is verry different than over here is verry boring people drink alot and smoke alot.lol and i think is like another demension.lol

Old 09-06-2007, 08:50 AM

7 posts, read 21,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

P.S. As a fellow gay male, let me just tell you that the local LGBT population is ENORMOUS, as much as the local "redneck" stereotype would lead you to think otherwise.

I find it interesting how a gay male will throw around a disparaging term like "redneck" yet would probably freak out if someone wrote an unflattering gay term.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
I can't speak too much to NEPA, but the central counties (Lycoming, Union, Snyder, Montour, Columbia) are experiencing an enormous revitalization and much improvement. I definitely disagree with the assessment that things are going downhill in the central counties.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain flatulence View Post
I find it interesting how a gay male will throw around a disparaging term like "redneck" yet would probably freak out if someone wrote an unflattering gay term.
I agree with this post and quoted it for truth.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasd0290 View Post
Hello,

-Adam
I know, I know it seems that way, because you can remember in your not too distant past what the local news was like. The big story, bridge repair on I81 or Catawissa barn fire, film at 111! I know, I grew up in Throop and left after graduating college in 1979 for a teaching gig here in Tidewater Virginia (Va Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth). Let me tell you, after going back to NEPA for a week or so, then returning home to VA...I get sick of the headlines. Everynight, I mean every night....murder after murder after murder. For the first 3 or so stories it goes like that. Yes, crime is on the rise in NEPA, where isn't it on the rise. It has gotten worse here over the years in VA. But when you watch WNEP before going to bed at night ...consider yourself lucky to be there for all the benifits not just for the lower than other urban area crime stats.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
thats funny, last night me and my girl frined comment on exactly that. Whgen i was home the lead story was a fire at some house in Nicholson. They also had a story of a bar fight. Thats right, a bar fight. Down here the news usually begins with a body being discoverd. Last night it was a 19 year old kid who was a sheriff's explorer (young sheriff progam for teens) He was working at a 7-11 and was shot and killed over 60 dollars. That happend about 15 mins away from where i live. Bodys found in Lehigh Acres in a trunk. REad the Ft. Myers News-press is you think i am making this up.

This doesnt include the drugs, gangs and robberies on a daily basis. Ft myers is consisdered SAFE!!!! Fla is full of crime that i was never ever exposed to whilst living in NEPA. Be very happy that the criome rate in NEPA is where it is at. It could be much much worse. I feel soooo safe when i visit my parents. They live in Clarks Summit and still never lock their doors.

CRIME IN NEPA MAY BE WORSE, BUT IT IS NOT A DETERANT TO THE AREA. IT IS AN ATTRACTION!!!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
thats funny, last night me and my girl frined comment on exactly that. Whgen i was home the lead story was a fire at some house in Nicholson. They also had a story of a bar fight. Thats right, a bar fight. Down here the news usually begins with a body being discoverd. Last night it was a 19 year old kid who was a sheriff's explorer (young sheriff progam for teens) He was working at a 7-11 and was shot and killed over 60 dollars. That happend about 15 mins away from where i live. Bodys found in Lehigh Acres in a trunk. REad the Ft. Myers News-press is you think i am making this up.

This doesnt include the drugs, gangs and robberies on a daily basis. Ft myers is consisdered SAFE!!!! Fla is full of crime that i was never ever exposed to whilst living in NEPA. Be very happy that the criome rate in NEPA is where it is at. It could be much much worse. I feel soooo safe when i visit my parents. They live in Clarks Summit and still never lock their doors.

CRIME IN NEPA MAY BE WORSE, BUT IT IS NOT A DETERANT TO THE AREA. IT IS AN ATTRACTION!!!!!
Right spot on! I remember my cousin who was visiting from NJ a long time ago (around 1973). It was just after sunset and we decided to take a walk to the soda fountain (yes we had one in Throop back then - loved the vanilla/coke fountain drink). As we are walking to the store a bunch of boys were walking down the sidewalk towards us. My cousin starts to freak out, saying run! He was as white as a sheet. Well I convince him to forget about them and keep walking. We pass, they say hi. I say hi back. Cousin is in shock. Do you know those guys..? Me - nah. And they walked by without beating us...Yeah...he can't believe it. That was his mindset. He lived in Cranford. His dad was a doctor. He lived in a very affluent neighborhood and that was his mindset. So. Revel in being behind the times. That was the way it was 30+ years ago and sure things may not be the same as it was, but I know you could walk through town without getting accosted, unless you wore a Valley View letter jacket and all bets were off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania