Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,834 times

Advertisements

Are there any farmers markets in the Scranton area? I've tried Google but all the information is old. Also, are there any other type of cultural activities that happen in the NEPA area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Albright Ave is the big scranton farmers market, im not sure of days, Mon, Wed, and something else.
You can always check here The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce - Scranton! (http://www.scrantonchamber.com/scranton/Default.htm - broken link)
and here Welcome to Lackawanna County for things in scranton area to do. And of course theres the big italian festival this weekend! Welcome to the Official Web Site of La Festa Italiana 2003!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,939,329 times
This one is supposed to be an awesome farmer's market too:
Hometown Farmer's Market Welcomes You. (broken link)

Old 08-28-2007, 08:05 AM

13 posts, read 44,576 times
Albright Ave Farmers Market is Monday, Wednesday and Friday - noon to 7 pm

But be sure to time your trip to avoid the high school dismissal traffic at 3pm! It is a madhouse then! I know - I am in it picking my now highschooler up!

Last edited by UpperHillScranton; 08-28-2007 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: edited for poor grammar

Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proximity View Post
Are there any farmers markets in the Scranton area? I've tried Google but all the information is old. Also, are there any other type of cultural activities that happen in the NEPA area?
I'll agree with the others that the farmers' market just off Albright Avenue near Providence Road is probably the best in the area---my mother frequents it for much of our produce (along with a great roadside stand near the Midway Shopping Center in Wyoming for our sweet corn).

Also, please define "cultural activities?" What are your interests? A couple of weeks ago they held an event called "Everhart After Dark" that was supposed to be pretty neat. There's also "First Fridays" in Scranton in which you can take a trolley around the downtown on the first Friday of every month to various art galleries and social functions. Check the web sites for the University of Scranton, Marywood University, and Lackawanna College often---many times you might find interesting lectures on their calendars of events that are open to the public. I tend to gravitate around the Wilkes-Barre area, where my parents both work and where I attend college, and King's College often hosts all sorts of events that are opened to the community at-large. Last year I attended a rally about the suffering in Darfur, a lecturer who spoke about the effects of globalization and industrialization upon the citizens of China, saw "Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" as it was being presented by activist group Wake-Up Wal-Mart, attended many plays at the King's Theatre, and took Salsa dancing lessons, among other activities.

Trust me, there is PLENTY to see and do in NEPA. Those who whine about "being bored" are usually dimwits who couldn't find something constructive to do if it ran up behind them and bit them in the derriere! Happenings is a very popular local monthly publication filled with all sorts of events. Greater Scranton has the weekly Electric City magazine and Greater Wilkes-Barre has the weekly Diamond City and Weekender publications that also give you the inside scoop on concerts, movies, fairs, and various local events.

This Labor Day weekend is La Festa Italiana, a weekend of fun, food, and camaraderie along Courthouse Square in Center City. October 26-28 downtown will bounce back to life again for the first ever "The Office" Convention that is expected to draw in crowds from around the U.S. and Canada. Shortly after that will be the Scranton Jaycees annual Santa Parade downtown, along with First Night: Scranton on New Year's Eve. You also have the NEPA Philharmonic, which plays regularly at the Scranton Cultural Center and Wilkes-Barre's F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts. There truly is a lot to do in this area if the Legion of Doom/DohertyDeceit crowd would stop crying and beating their chests long enough to appreciate the beauty around us.

Here are some links which may prove helpful:

Events and Tourism in Northeast PA: Happenings Magazine Since 1969
Electric City/Diamond City - Northeast PA's free entertainment weekly. Find events and venues in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre and NEPA.
The Office Convention, October 26-28 in Scranton, PA
Scranton, PA - Official Website
Welcome to the Official Web Site of La Festa Italiana 2003!
Susan G. Komen for the Cure (http://cms.komen.org/komen/index.htm - broken link)
First Friday Scranton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania