Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
My Poor irish forebearers would be happy to see their family has become rich in family and friends and succesful. We like to celebrate that fact. If you want to sulk about it then fine, you wern't invited anyway.
Thats great but what does that have to do with the drunkfest in the downtown? Hows the view from that high horse?

Who is sulking? I work at my church ham & cabbage dinner on parade day buddy and I have been doing it for years. Thats how I spend the day with my family, we give our time back and help others.

I think its funny that you are still trying to justify the parade with your heritage. If you want to party it up and get drunk with your family and friends then so be it, but that is far from celebrating your heritage in my mind. Honestly your ok with the fact that your heritage is tied to drunks and partying?

Its funny you don't really hear people talking about them drunken krauts do ya, nope but those drunken irishmen are everywhere.

Seriously we'll agree to disagree. I'll let you get back to celebrating your irishness by throwing back a few shots with a 100,000 drunks and I'll be at my church giving back to the community instead of trashing it. Go Irish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Honestly what sense of Irish pride do you get from a parade in downtown Scranton? ...blah, blah, blah...
You pretty much answered your own question. Pride is something inside an individual. I can't describe it. And, to me, it's not even really about Irish pride. I get my Irish pride from my family. I have a good time at the parade. My kid has a good time the parade. 100,000 other people have a good time at the parade. I don't feel the need to justify that to anyone. You don't like it. Fine. We all get that. Stop crapping all over it for the tens of thousands of others who do.

The rest of your post is just silly nonsense that, again, does not really deserve justification.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Honestly your ok with the fact that your heritage is tied to drunks and partying?

Its funny you don't really hear people talking about them drunken krauts do ya, nope but those drunken irishmen are everywhere.
While they may not be ignorantly associated with drunken revelry, hows about we take a look at the more recently tarnished German legacy and make sweeping generalizations and judgements based on it, shall we?

Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I just learned that my employer randomly didn't schedule me for Saturday the 15th, so my friends and I will be hitting the streets of Downtown Scranton as well---SOBER may I add.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The parade should come to an end already. There's no sense of Irish pride there. Just another excuse for people to drink themselves silly.

I agree. I'm Irish and I'm offended by this "drunken Irish" stereotype that this parade promotes.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
You dont have to be involved at all then Dan, stay at home and you wont be bothered. I will enjoy being with frineds and family.

My Poor irish forebearers would be happy to see their family has become rich in family and friends and succesful. We like to celebrate that fact. If you want to sulk about it then fine, you wern't invited anyway.
You're not celebrating or giving any compliments to your forebearers by lining up at 7 am wearing stupid green plastic leprechaun hats and green beads and double fisting 17 cent green beer until you can barely walk.

I think the parade itself, and the Mass at the Cathedral, the 5K run, all that is good stuff. In my opinion, the bars should be closed that day...at least until the parade is over. Although maybe the parade should be shut down for a while to do away with the tradition of excessive boozing on parade day. Just like in Jessup, where for about 15 years they shut down St. Ubaldo Day because it had become a day marked with excessive drinking, fights, and problems. After letting the thing die down for about 15 years, they brought it back, and they haven't had the problems like they used to have. Maybe the St. Patty's day parade needs to take a vacation for a while to break this cycle of drunken debauchery.

And let's be honest, the only reason 100,000 (if that's a correct estimate) people show up down there is for the boozing. Because the parade is pretty much the same parade Scranton has for other holidays, except they throw in some bagpipers.....and the other parades don't attract anywhere near as many people.

I'm Irish and I think the fact that anything Irish is always associated with drinking is an insult. This drunkfest would be just like having a "fried chicken and watermelon" festival on Martin Luther King Day, or a "Stupid Polock" day or a "lazy Mexicans" day: an insult to an entire ethnic group that plays on tired old negative stereotypes.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 03-07-2008 at 06:57 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
I'm Italian and German and if they had a parade to celebrate that, I wouldn't feel anymore of a sense pride. The parade does not promote pride for one's nationality. You don't need a silly parade to do that. I still don't understand why they need to open the bars and let people drink and run rampant around the streets when it's supposed to be a family parade. Can't some of these people wait until the parade is over at least to start plastering themselves silly? If it's not about the alcohol, then don't allow it until after the parade. I heard they're opening the bars 2 hours later this year. That's still not good enough for me.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,129,699 times
Default Staying on topic

This thread is veering off the original subject matter,please get back to original topic(Downtown living) or the thread will be closed. Also remember to
post in accordance with the terms of service...

Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I heard they're opening the bars 2 hours later this year. That's still not good enough for me.
I agree. Even 9 AM is ridiculously early. Anyone who needs to drink at 9 AM is an alcoholic, in my opinion. I can never remember drinking in the morning, ever.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
I think some of you guys are letting a parade get the best of you. If your soo against it, dont go. Plain and simple. Have any of you ever been to a football game, every sunday at stadiums acorss the country people are out tailgating and drinking at 9am.

Dan, being german and all, havent you ever been to an Octoberfest. The one down here that I went to was full of drunk Germans having a good time. Why do they need to drink out of such giants beer steins, must be alcoholics.

The saint Ubaldo Fest also had its fair share of revelry. You skeptics have every right to be aginst druken celebrations but you need to check your tone and judgemental attitudes at the door.

I hate it when people say the Irish are all brawlers and drinkers. It makes me want to get drunk and punch someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania