Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:59 PM

17 posts, read 38,193 times

Advertisements

Hi all, My family is considering a move to the Wilkes-Barre area (husband interviewing for Geisinger physician position) from the Baltimore area. I am very concerned about the effects of hydraulic fracturing in the area, especially given that I have a child with special needs. I don't want any more neurological challenges loaded on her plate! Can anyone explain how fracking has affected the area? Positives and negatives, please. There are numerous articles and websites devoted to this industry, I know, but I'd like to hear directly how it's affecting the "everyday Joe". thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,573 times
The "fracking" and gas industry operations are well north of Wilkes-Barre. Not even in the same county. While it has had it's positive, and negative impacts in Wyoming and Bradford counties, the gas industry has had little if any impact on the greater Wilkes-Barre area and the Wyoming Valley. We are to far south of the activity. You have nothing to worry about. the positives are the hard, but good paying jobs from trucking, well drilling, welding etc into our job starved local economy...the negatives are possible ground water and well contamination, excess truck traffic at all hours, wear and tear on local roads and infrastructure, but none of this is relevant to the greater Wilkes-Barre area as we are far enough away from the epicenter of the industry.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Wilkes-Barre isn't that far as the Susquehanna current flows. Everything flows downsream...........

Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 PM

41 posts, read 83,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Wilkes-Barre isn't that far as the Susquehanna current flows. Everything flows downsream...........
There are worse things to worry about in the susquehanna than fracking stuff, such as mine runoff..and south of pittston butler mine tunnel oil

Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM

I guess my concern is that everything does indeed flow downstream....I suppose by this logic, the water also makes it's way to Maryland (where I am) as well. I just don't want to put us, my autistic child, or my other child, at any unnecessary neurological risk. I fear that no one will be upfront about the risks and uncertainties. Why wouldn't fracking fluid ingredients be disclosed if they were simply harmless? While I am eco-conscious, I am generally not alarmist. But this fracking business makes me very nervous. Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Let's be realistic, so far the only contamination that might effect the Susquehanna has been a few spills where the containment ponds they use to hold used fracking fluid have broken and it has gone into the local waterway. The big concern with this fluid is the salinity, certainly not good for plants and aquatic life in the immediate area but even if one of these spills were to make it into the Susqhuehanna it's going to be so diluted by then it's irrelevant. Long term the damage is irrelevant even where the spill occurred.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
nicole, who do you think would refuse to be upfront about the risks of fracking? Certainly not on this forum. No matter where you go, there is some kind of risk to be dealt with and you learn how best to diminish the risks. Like not living in a community where active fracking is taking place.

I had a f/u appointment with my surgeon yesterday. He came here from Baltimore. He and his physician wife and their three young children live in the area. I asked him if he had given any thought to returning to MD to be closer to his parents. He said not. HTH.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerthaKingston View Post
such as mine runoff..and south of pittston butler mine tunnel oil
What you're looking at is sulfur and rust. The run off contains sulfur and metals, when this is exposed to oxygen it oxidizes producing the orange color. This is not good for aquatic life but beyond that it's not going to give you a third eye.

As far as the butler mine tunnel goes there hasn't been a major release of anything for many years now. Keep in mind the issues surrounding the butler mine tunnel aren't directly related to mining.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 AM

theatergypsy, I suppose I think the hospital recruiting my husband and realtors will not be upfront. Perhaps we should connect with the surgeon you mentioned...My husband is a surgeon as well. We are not originally from Baltimore. I am from RI, and my husband's family lives in NYC. They have a house in the Poconos, so they would be pleased to see us in this area.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
There is no danger in the Wyoming Valley from fracturing. However, if you are headed to Geisinger in Danville, you should be aware that the PPL Montour Power Plant in nearby Washingtonville has been cited in the past for emissions of molybdenum, chromium and manganese. Their new scrubbers have pretty much eliminated airborn particles, but their disposal ponds are full of the stuff from years of operation without adequate safeguards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania