Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopsign View Post
And to think all this started because I posted a simple warning about spikes dangerously (and illegally) placed on public property.... You people are just sill sometimes.

And I might add that a simple call about the situation to the Moosic police remedied it as the spikes were all removed the following day... hundreds of them! Seems the boro fire trucks frequent these road as well... that would have been real nice.. a fleet of fire trucks all with blown tires!

Think before you act (and speak) people... we are all sharing this world so lets make the best of it.
You never qualified your original post by telling us that the land was public land. I do have to ask if that public land permits ATVs?

I’m glad that you got your problem solved - although they did not catch the culprit (did they). It is still possible that the same individual could do it again. Unless we understand why this happened; the underlying cause could still be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 878 times
Default What are your rights if there is a right of way across your property ATV using it as a drag strip

Can you deny the use of a common driveway crossing your property if users are unlicensed and ATV are unlicensed? Their friends drop off their kids and atv's and the driveway is part of their race track.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee View Post
Can you deny the use of a common driveway crossing your property if users are unlicensed and ATV are unlicensed? Their friends drop off their kids and atv's and the driveway is part of their race track.
Perhaps this link might help: Pennsylvania State ATV Information? You could also contact your local municipal building and check their regulations. Ask your local police department if that is legal - they might have something to say about kids racing on the ATV's.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 AM

190 posts, read 286,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
On the up side, some of the easy walking trails I like would not be easy walking if it wasn't for the ATVs so I guess there is some give and take there. Plus, I think live and let live, everybody enjoys different things and the places I walk are just as fair game for the ATVs as they are for me and my Dogs.

They should however obey private property and posted signs that say no motorized vehicles. Sometimes I see they breaking these laws when I walk different trails.

The problem is some riders ignore the no motorized vehicles signs.
The bigger problem is they don't just enjoy a leisurely ride through the trails - they TEAR IT UP like they are riding a Motocross track...

On the State Game lands & Forests, illegal ATV's cause alot of erosion problems, especially when they tear up hillsides & small creeks that hold native brook trout populations.

You may not realize this, but it takes Mother Nature awhile to heal up the scars of deep ruts and sediment problems (or a Pa Game Commission workcrew when the damage is severe).

The only legal use of ATV on SGL & Forest is handicapped hunters (who must stay on the established hard-pack forest roads).

I don't condone their use in the public woods and I let them know it if/when I encounter them.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draketrutta View Post
The problem is some riders ignore the no motorized vehicles signs.
The bigger problem is they don't just enjoy a leisurely ride through the trails - they TEAR IT UP like they are riding a Motocross track...

On the State Game lands & Forests, illegal ATV's cause alot of erosion problems, especially when they tear up hillsides & small creeks that hold native brook trout populations.

You may not realize this, but it takes Mother Nature awhile to heal up the scars of deep ruts and sediment problems (or a Pa Game Commission workcrew when the damage is severe).

The only legal use of ATV on SGL & Forest is handicapped hunters (who must stay on the established hard-pack forest roads).

I don't condone their use in the public woods and I let them know it if/when I encounter them.
If you travel over I-40 to I-5 south in CA all you see are hills that look like checker boards. They will never heal in our lifetimes. No environmentalist will ever be able to shoot pictures of pristine hills in that area.

Over time ATV's and other off-road vehicles damage areas as great as mammoth earth moving equipment. Most of the land they damage does not belong to them; it belongs to the citizens of our State. With the exception of landowners that own large tracks of land; I feel that these 'pleasure' vehicles should be illegal.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:43 AM

109 posts, read 162,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Gotta admit, the ATV riders can be dangerous. I have had to jump into the bushes on trails a few times with my dogs when I would hear them barreling up behind me. Then I have to breath the exhaust when one of the attractions for me of walking there is to get fresh air.

On the up side, some of the easy walking trails I like would not be easy walking if it wasn't for the ATVs so I guess there is some give and take there. Plus, I think live and let live, everybody enjoys different things and the places I walk are just as fair game for the ATVs as they are for me and my Dogs.

They shouild however obey private property and posted signs that say no motorized vehicles. Sometimes I see they breaking these laws when I walk different trails.
I feel exactly the same way, ATV fun is not "my fun" but I understand some people love it and they have a right to enjoy it if trails permit ATV use. Great point about making some trails easy to walk Trespassing on private property is another thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania