Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times

Advertisements

Last night I was contacted by supposedly a company that said it was representing PP&L and that I could be entitled to additional savings. I don't believe in the word “free” and I don't think that businesses are willing to give me something for nothing. However; I like the term “save”. I gave them my PP&L account number – which, I think, is all that they needed? They put me on hold – never to get back. I did the star 69 and traced it to a local (Moosic) number that has numerous complaints and is also associated with identity fraud.

Apparently there are many utility company scams going on right now. Here is one link warning of a similar scam: snopes.com: Utility Bill Payment Scam

Anyway; this morning I am busy locking down all of my accounts and notifying anybody that could possibly do something.

Just be especially careful if you get any utility company calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
You should never give i any information over the phone to anyone that has called no matter how innocuous it may seem unless you absolutely know who it is such as if you're expecting the call. Don't trust what is on the caller ID and ask for a phone number you can verify in the phone book or the internet and then call them back.

If I don't know who is calling and they ask for someone I don't even let them get that far, I ask who they are.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Last night I was contacted by supposedly a company that said it was representing PP&L and that I could be entitled to additional savings. I don't believe in the word “free” and I don't think that businesses are willing to give me something for nothing. However; I like the term “save”. I gave them my PP&L account number – which, I think, is all that they needed? They put me on hold – never to get back. I did the star 69 and traced it to a local (Moosic) number that has numerous complaints and is also associated with identity fraud.

Apparently there are many utility company scams going on right now. Here is one link warning of a similar scam: snopes.com: Utility Bill Payment Scam

Anyway; this morning I am busy locking down all of my accounts and notifying anybody that could possibly do something.

Just be especially careful if you get any utility company calls.
\

They are other companys Phishing for you to switch to their power supplier , They used call us ... They start the call with ... "Can I speak to the person who in charge of the PP&L bill... "
I usually tell them to call their mother or I tell them we are pure 100% solar power and they hang up .. when its a woman I ask her right out what color panties she is wearing and they usually just hang up.. WE dont get the calls anymore .. LOL

Old 07-20-2012, 05:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

telemarketer revenge - YouTube

Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Normally I just tell anybody that I am on a “No Call List” and ask them why are they calling. I then ask them for their telephone number and company so that I can report them – that usually gets rid of them.

Maybe it was because I like PP&L and they just caught me off guard? My wife has been busy pointing out how foolish I was to have given them anything. They basically confirmed my address, telephone number and utility account number – far too much information for the wrong people to use.

I just figured that it would be wise to warn others of this scam. I will probably spend my morning placing all of the fraud alerts on my accounts.

PS Good one Coalman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania