Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,314 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
After 1 and 1/2 years of no work, I have received a job offer that requires me to move to Northeast PA. I need to be between Bethlehem and the New York state line. The manager at this company recommended looking at Stroudsburg, or East Stroudsburg. This is a traveling job covering the area mentioned, and I need to be somewhat centrally located between Bethlehem and N.Y. state line. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Hint: My wife likes city life, and I am a suburb kinda of guy. Traveling up Saturday (tomorrow) to check out the area. Any advice before then would be GREATLY appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre would also be a good halfway point between Bethlehem and the NY state line. Actually, right between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre in the Dupont/Pittston area, you're 70 miles from both Bethlehem and Binghamton, and are right where I-476 and I-81 intersect.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Thank you Mr. Yuk. I will add that to my list for the weekend.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:39 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Your manager probably has a better idea of the territory that you will cover. The Scranton /Wilkes-Barre area is half and hour to three quarters of an hour away from the E. Stroudsburg and Stroudsburg area.

With any 'new' job you would probably be better off renting. That way you would have a better idea of where to eventually move.

You did not say whether or not you intended to buy, rent or lease. You also did not say if you planed to make visits back to your hometown. You also did not mention if you have a family. Your needs as far as schools or activities could also play an important roll in you decision.

Think it over carefully and good luck with your new job.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
While you are up visiting, drive around to get a feel for the area. Keep an eye out for rentals - many are advertised with a sign "on site" versus advertisement in the paper or through a realtor/agency. If you find a few that look promising, my advice to you is to check the area of the house/apartment out in the day and in the night. Park on the street and really look around. Some areas that look fine during the day can be totally different at night. Rentals in the immediate vicinity of East Stroudsburg University tend to be much more expensive than in other areas, and parking in that vicinity can be an issue as well.

I do think Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg could be a good mix of what both you and your wife prefer, but definitely be really discerning as to where you look. I can send you a PM with the names of a couple of agencies that list apartments/houses for rent if you'd like that (I have no connections to any of them).

If you don't like that area, a little bit to the south into Stroud Township/Hamilton Township/Ross Township would be more rural but still pretty centrally located. However, it would be harder to find something to rent in these areas, although doable with a little hunting.

Lots of luck!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,138,306 times
Good Luck.... with the job and your search... Like the above poster stated .. Drive around , Lots of people place "For Rent " signs outside ....

Old 07-21-2012, 04:46 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I will actually be coming up there on several days. Fisheye, thanks for your input, you brought up several good points. I will be renting, not worried about how far I am from my home state, no children (well 1 daughter, but she is grown and out on her own). Just me and the wife.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 AM

I just wanted to also say that our local newspaper is the Pocono Record. You probably already picked one up – if you are up checking out the area. The PR does have an online pay addition – I think that they let visitors view it a few times each month?

Many, on this forum, will be more than willing to give you our best advice. We do not always agree – but you can make up your own minds from the information we supply. Like any community; there are some areas that we will advise you to stay away from and some areas that we think good areas to live. We also have urban sprawl and some congestion (which could hamper your drive to work).

My wife and I have lived in Monroe County for 65 years. That does not mean that I am any expert – the County continues to change as I write.

Just feel free to ask and give us an update on your search. It is a pretty good drive from South New Jersey to our area – no really 'easy' direct routes/throughways.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Thanks fisheye! We spent Saturday driving all around Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg. You were right about traffic, which shouldn't bother my commute too much, considering I will be going to different businesses everyday. We found out where we didn't want to live. I have been in touch with a couple of real estate agents also. We will be back up on Tuesday and drive around some more.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmanshep View Post
Thanks fisheye! We spent Saturday driving all around Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg. You were right about traffic, which shouldn't bother my commute too much, considering I will be going to different businesses everyday. We found out where we didn't want to live. I have been in touch with a couple of real estate agents also. We will be back up on Tuesday and drive around some more.

Since this is a new job; I do not think that I would want any long term lease. That is; until I made sure that the job was what I really wanted and the money was what it was claimed to be. There is another advantage of the short term lease; you can check out the area while you are actually living here. I don't even know if there are any motels that offer monthly rent discounts on some efficiency units? I am sure that would be more expensive than a lease on an apartment – but if things did not work out; you would not be stuck with the long term lease. I am also sure the real estate agents are working with you – I just don't know if they are working in their best interest or your best interest.

Anyway; good luck again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania