Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

It all depends on what you want and why.

Having lived in a private home next door to a guy fixing cars as a part time job and being woken up every weekend morning i never ever wanted to live where there were no rules ever again.

When we bought in nepa we wanted an hoa. I have to say the hoa rules were totally transparent to us.

There was nothing i ever ran into by being in an hoa that was an issue.

The security patrolling our grounds was a nice feeling.

There is another really nice thing about developments with lots of amenities and that is the social aspect.

Its much easier to meet others in these developments then it is just plopping yourself down on a road somewhere.

Condo,hoa and co-op living isnt for everyone but many folks do prefer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
Riverside- if it is so bad, why do you do work in here? If it is so bad, refuse to do work in the Hideout. Just because you don't like the rules doesn't mean it is a bad place. I personally like living here. I know that a junkyard will not be built next to me, but that is my preference.
If I was so against all the rules, I certainly wouldn't step foot in here as you do a few times a month.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:24 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Riverside- if it is so bad, why do you do work in here? If it is so bad, refuse to do work in the Hideout. Just because you don't like the rules doesn't mean it is a bad place. I personally like living here. I know that a junkyard will not be built next to me, but that is my preference.
If I was so against all the rules, I certainly wouldn't step foot in here as you do a few times a month.

Glad you love it there ,,, Some people like the false sense of security .. I on the other hand have had my share of living behind a gate ... I choose not to ... You can choose to ... Thats fine ..

I turn work down from in there , I get calls all the time .. I tell them Flat out I dont work in there .. SORRY ...

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM

Glad to hear we agree- you won't do work in the HO.
But I am confused, according to you, you get 3-4 calls a week to do work. How do people get your phone number? I have lived here for 25 years and use the same people consistently. How do all these people find you (3-4 people per week) if you always turn them down.
Even if it's only 2 people per week- that's over 100 people per year wanting you to do work for them. In 10 years that is over 1000 people that you have said sorry to. I am surprised the word has not gotten out that you don't do work in the HO.

Again, it's a personal choice where we choose to live. You may think it is like living in a PRISON, I don't. I have never lived in prison, but I did work in a prison- I have to tell you- the Hideout and the prison are not similar!!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmiglino View Post
We are looking to purchase a vacation home in The Hideout. We plan on using it during the winter and renting it during the summer. Does any one know if there is a demand to rent in The Hideout? Could we use VRBO or a site like that? What are the drawbacks? How much does a 3 bedroom/ 2 bath house located near the main clubhouse get for a weekly rental? Thanks SO much for your help!!
Back on-topic please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM

I pick and choose my work.. I have a Great Reputation , Word gets around ... People want me to Build for them.. In communitys you have to jump through too many hoops .. Its not worth it too me .. I dont need to work as Im retired ..I choose too ..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 16,511 times
I am currently a very proud member of the Hideout community. I am cuurently looking to purchase another home or two for rental purposes. I recently checked with a local real estate expert and he stated there were currently 3 homes listed as foreclosures. They also said the rental business is booming. I feel that if your property is marketed correctly, you will have people calling daily to check for availability. Of course, you must have a nice house that people will love and refer to their friends for vacations and also be return visitors/customers.

As for the Hideout--when I was doing my research and looking to purchase my home, I did extensive research. I looked at numerous communities in the area and found the Hideout to be most appealing due to the many amenities, the security and the upkeep of the grounds. I also contacted the local state trooper barracks, spoke with investigators and talked to state troopers that live in the Hideout. I looked at crime statistics and looked at other quality of life conditions within the community and was told that it is a great place to live, visit and vacation. Once in a while there would be a rash of burglaries to homes, in most cases it was bored kids who live or vacation here and are always caught. Every now and then a house may get occupied by drug dealers/users and the troopers are quickly made aware of the activity and is often quickly extinguished. I think there was a gang incident about 10 years ago that gave the neighborhood a black eye for years. That was 10 years ago people--get over it. I do not see any gang activity whatsoever. There is some riff raff with summer renters every now and then but they are usually gone by weeks end.

I chose the Hideout for the community and security. I appreciate the rules that we must abide by. They are simple rules. You want to paint your house a color--it must be a natural color--you are not to paint your house pink. You want to add an addition to your house--you get a permit. Speeders are pulled over and ticketed--nobody has been run over and killed recently. Hideout Public Safety is there if you need them. If you have a medical emergency--all EMT qualified. They are your first line of defense and will call in the troopers if necessary.

This is my very first post on this forum so I wanted to defend our great community. If you do not like it here, you havent taken advantage of what this place offers.
Enjoy a nice summer day at the main lodge, plant your butt on the beach, enjoy the sun, take a dip in the lake and the pool. Walk up to the Tiki Bar and enjoy a cold frosty beverage, sit and have lunch. Head up to the clubhouse for dinner, have another cold drink at the bar. Head home and have the best sleep of your life. Life is good.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 PM

Does security stop you from leaving the tiki bar as you drive away ?

Security can NOT charge you with a DUI ... But they can call the state police ..

Pretty much security are the community's babysitters ... oh and your dues pay their wages .. Im glad that you love it there ,, Buy all you can .. Oh BTW I have a foreclosure list .. There are 67 on my list in the Hideout .. Maybe JUST maybe your RE agent dont know everything .. .. I can e mail you the list if you want ..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM

Mountain Ranger - Good Luck!!

Riverside - I would like to see your foreclosure list - I checked the web and I also found 3 properties-could you PM me the link?
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:15 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
It all depends on what you want and why.

Having lived in a private home next door to a guy fixing cars as a part time job and being woken up every weekend morning i never ever wanted to live where there were no rules ever again.

When we bought in nepa we wanted an hoa. I have to say the hoa rules were totally transparent to us.

There was nothing i ever ran into by being in an hoa that was an issue.

The security patrolling our grounds was a nice feeling.

There is another really nice thing about developments with lots of amenities and that is the social aspect.

Its much easier to meet others in these developments then it is just plopping yourself down on a road somewhere.

Condo,hoa and co-op living isnt for everyone but many folks do prefer it.
Different strokes for different folks. One man's vaca is another man's hell.

As the Dead say "One man gathers what another man spills."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania