Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times

Advertisements

back to a haven for slumlords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
This ladies and gentlemen is just about the most irresponsible, mis-quoted and mis-guided post I've seen in a long time. No where does it state sales are back to pre-financial collapse days. It clearly said the "Cap-Rate" is back to prior levels. Plus, using a cap rate as a guide to help an investor is almost criminal. Let me explain.Many real estate investors determine the value of an income property by using the capitalization rate, aka cap rate. It is probably the one most misused concept in real estate investing. What the cap rate represents is merely the projected return for one year as if the property were bought with all cash. Not many of us buy property for all cash, so we have to break the deal down, usually by trial and error, to find the cash on cash return on our actual investment using leverage. Furthermore, any financial planner worth a spit will tell you for the long term investor a well balanced portfolio of blue chip's, bonds and maybe some gold will always out preform all other investments. Also, real estate never leads an economy out of a recession. Without solid job creation and low unemployment, all else is lost. And to answer the question, I'll put my money in the market, Wall St. will not call me and tell me my dividends will be late because it lost it's job. Finally, this is why I lump real estate agents in the same boat as insurance and used car salesmen.
The smaller the property, the less the less accurate the "cap rate". It works very well for large apartment complexes but not so well for the 2-4 unit properties that are prevelant in Scranton.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
If people dont have money to pay their rent what good is a income property? ... I have friends that have houses and they all have tenants who are behind on the rent ....

Im glad I got out of the rental business ... I have less headaches for it .....

OH and BTW the market is not back.... Thats the pols playing with ya ... You would be stupid to dump money into a home today (unless its your primary home ) ... The bottom will fall out again come Nov - Dec All the hype is a smokescreen to try and stimulate the market ..

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
If people dont have money to pay their rent what good is a income property? ... ..
And that is why some landlords will ONLY rent to section 8ers - guaranteed check every month.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
And that is why some landlords will ONLY rent to section 8ers - guaranteed check every month.
Which can crush neighborhoods and then towns: who started with historically low employment and an increasingly elderly population, then add a lousy economy driving a even worsening job market, to accelerate an already declining real estate market.

RE market back? Uh, sure....sorta. Lots of places are for sale and rentals are brisk.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post

Eventually that money will run out also....

Old 08-06-2012, 01:26 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
The real problem for income properites in Scranton is the corrupt government, bankrupt treasury, and ridiculous wage tax. Real estate taxes are going up at the same time that the wage tax is driving people out of the city limits.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 568 times
I'm new to the area and I'm looking to network with investors. So far I've been unable to find any clubs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-21-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: removed e-mail

Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield brown View Post
I'm new to the area and I'm looking to network with investors. So far I've been unable to find any clubs my email is fieldhound@yahoo.com if anyone is interested thanks Winfield
You might want to check out one of City-Data's national threads: //www.city-data.com/forum/investing/. The one thread you chose is two years old. Anyway; good luck.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:57 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Though "prices" (2014) may be back, the value of the "dollar bill" (2014) is lower than before 2008.
Still a loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania