Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

I am frightened here. My son is leaving for college in OH in eleven days. DH will be returning to work. My daughter and I do not feel comfortable with living here.

We can't sell the house in a second. We have dogs and no one around here wants to rent to people with dogs. Our dogs are part of our family. They are elderly. (except for one) I'd never dump them at a pound.

We could keep this house as an investment, but I would NEVER rent it to Kings Students. Easiest thing to do.

There are Kings students on my block and North Main, but THAT BUILDING!

We have a mortgage on the house.

If anyone knows of an area where they might be open to dogs - or a person with an empty four bedroom or large 3 home in a decent area that we could move to - fast - please send me a DM.

There is a place that also looks a little scary, although I've never been there. Someone told us about it it's in Carbondale.

Never been there but I have not heard anything good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,889 times
Don't go to Carbondale, it's horrible there. I noticed in the North Pocono area there are alot of rentals, My sister lives in Big bass lake, you could check there.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Scranton, of course!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:58 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Scranton, of course!
I'm aware of the city of Scranton. I don't know of anyone who would rent to us with dogs.

Sorry if I sound a tad cranky.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:21 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
You could try browsing around hot pads. I don't know how much you are willing to spend but I sent you a link here to a nice rental. I don't know if they will allow dogs but you could ask.

Houses and Apartments for Rent on HotPads

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am frightened here. My son is leaving for college in OH in eleven days. DH will be returning to work. My daughter and I do not feel comfortable with living here.

We can't sell the house in a second. We have dogs and no one around here wants to rent to people with dogs. Our dogs are part of our family. They are elderly. (except for one) I'd never dump them at a pound.

We could keep this house as an investment, but I would NEVER rent it to Kings Students. Easiest thing to do.

There are Kings students on my block and North Main, but THAT BUILDING!

We have a mortgage on the house.

If anyone knows of an area where they might be open to dogs - or a person with an empty four bedroom or large 3 home in a decent area that we could move to - fast - please send me a DM.

There is a place that also looks a little scary, although I've never been there. Someone told us about it it's in Carbondale.

Never been there but I have not heard anything good.
I have friends that live here who have pets:

Apartment Rental - Furnished Apartments - Edwardsville, PA - Gateway Manor Apartments

Here is another one too, in Kingston:

SDK Apartments

Some in Wilkes-Barre that are safe:

Wilkeswood Apartments, Apartments Wilkes-Barre PA

Apartment Rental - Furnished Apartments - Wilkes-Barre, PA - East Mountain Apartments

Also, you may want to just look at private rental homes, meet the landlord and explain your situation. Since you are already homeowners, with (I assume) good credit and references, I think if you were to explain what is going on and even offer them to look at your own home, they may allow you to keep your dogs. My sister did this when they moved and many landlords will work with you if you are honest with them.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I would say Pittsburgh of course!! But then I am biased.

The best thing I would say is to try to rent from private landlords. But on the other side, if you leave the hosue vacant to sell it ; beware ; they will get in and steal every single thing. Our vacant house in NY has been broken in twice and all the copper pipe now is totally gone.

Sorry about the lousy situation.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Sheena-I'm so sorry WB didn't work out. You loved so there.
When you say relocate, how far do you mean? Have you looked into Williamsport or surrounding area? I don't think it's quite as active as WB but it still has a lot going for it.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
also, (never been there) Hershey seems to have a good rep.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
I wish I could offer advice. I really don't know what I'd do in your situation.

Please remind me: how many dogs do you have? IIRC they are larger breeds? I know a lot of apartment complexes allow small dogs. Some might allow larger dogs if you pay an additional fee. I don't know if this is an option, but you may have to rehome them temporarily with family members or friends until you can find a more permanent solution. Is it possible to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania