Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 AM

41 posts, read 239,508 times

Advertisements

We have renters on our street about 4 homes away who blast their stereo all night and day. Even with your windows closed and I think theirs you can hear the bass minimally thump into our house. Outside we can hear it so much that we know what song it is! I've called the cops several times and I'm surprised no one else closer to them have not called on them! It seems like people have no respect anymore for their neighbors or their sleep. During the summer they sit on their porch blaring the music, (like I wanna hear it!) anyone else have this problem and how have you dealt with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I'd keep calling the cops and also ask your neighbors to do so. Do you know who owns the property? If not, go to the courthouse to find out then call the landlord about it.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Knock on the door and ask them nicely to lower it .. Maybe bring them a fruitcake ...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:58 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Been there done that. In our case it was an older man blasting his rock & roll & TV so loud it shook my house & kept my kids up. It was ridiculous. The landlord only cared about rent money, and did nothing to stop it. I complained, and called police until he moved out. He still blasts his music where I can hear it(he still lives in the neighborhood) if I sit on my porch, but I don't hear it in my house, so whatever. Let the old fool continue to be a numb-skull whom everyone hates.

There are nuisance laws in place to ensure everyone lives peacefully. I wish I knew them then, because I would have taken him & the money-hungry slumlord to court.

http://law.psu.edu/_file/aglaw/Penns...isance_Law.pdf This link tells you about such laws in Pa.

Check local ordinances as well. Even if there are no local ordinances, or the police tell you there is nothing they can do(they often do nothing about noise complaints), the nuisance laws are STATE laws, and the police officer's job is to UPHOLD THE LAW.

I also recommend speaking to other neighbors to see how they feel. They may have called police, and cops did nothing. Unfortunately, I find many cops not caring that you can't live in peace. If possible, find out who the landlord is and complain about the tenant. They SHOULD put an end to it. If not you may be able to take both tenant AND landlord to court. Document everything, even record, and consider sending cease & desist letters(cite the nuisance laws in the letter, and be specific about what you want done) to both through certified mail. If after that they do not comply, you can take legal action, and those letters strengthen your case. It shows you tried to deal with the matter without going to court, and they were the ones who forced you to take legal action due to their noncompliance. It discredits them greatly.

The bottom line is that it is your right to enjoy your home quietly, and you should utilize the laws that are in place to ensure it.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Been there done that. In our case it was an older man blasting his rock & roll & TV so loud it shook my house & kept my kids up. It was ridiculous. The landlord only cared about rent money, and did nothing to stop it. I complained, and called police until he moved out. He still blasts his music where I can hear it(he still lives in the neighborhood) if I sit on my porch, but I don't hear it in my house, so whatever. Let the old fool continue to be a numb-skull whom everyone hates.

There are nuisance laws in place to ensure everyone lives peacefully. I wish I knew them then, because I would have taken him & the money-hungry slumlord to court.

http://law.psu.edu/_file/aglaw/Penns...isance_Law.pdf This link tells you about such laws in Pa.

Check local ordinances as well. Even if there are no local ordinances, or the police tell you there is nothing they can do(they often do nothing about noise complaints), the nuisance laws are STATE laws, and the police officer's job is to UPHOLD THE LAW.

I also recommend speaking to other neighbors to see how they feel. They may have called police, and cops did nothing. Unfortunately, I find many cops not caring that you can't live in peace. If possible, find out who the landlord is and complain about the tenant. They SHOULD put an end to it. If not you may be able to take both tenant AND landlord to court. Document everything, even record, and consider sending cease & desist letters(cite the nuisance laws in the letter, and be specific about what you want done) to both through certified mail. If after that they do not comply, you can take legal action, and those letters strengthen your case. It shows you tried to deal with the matter without going to court, and they were the ones who forced you to take legal action due to their noncompliance. It discredits them greatly.

The bottom line is that it is your right to enjoy your home quietly, and you should utilize the laws that are in place to ensure it.
Nice post. I didn't know about the nuisance laws in PA.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 AM

908 posts, read 1,554,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nice post. I didn't know about the nuisance laws in PA.
I didn't know either, but after dealing with a horrible man-child of a LOUD neighbor, and getting NO help from police, I was forced to do my own research to assure I was prepared if I ever had to face another inconsiderate neighbor. I did, and having knowledge of the law helps.

I urge everyone to be well informed of their rights & obligations in accordance to the law, because sadly in today's society very few care, that includes the police. I hope all who are dealing with horrible neighbors can soon get relief & QUIET.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
If I can hear it, it's too loud.

Last edited by jay5835; 11-18-2012 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM

41 posts, read 239,508 times
Thanks all for the info. I don't think they are the fruitcake type, more beer and probably some illegal substances.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
When I am driving and one of those cars with the mega-speakers pulls up along side I smile. They probably think that the booms coming from their car bothers me. I have tinnitus and I think to myself: Good; damage your hearing and see how you like living with the ringing!

Many times, in our rural settings, the noise comes from pets. I cannot fathom why people like to listen to their dogs baring constantly. Some municipalities do have noise ordinances against dogs barking after late evening. I also presume that some owners could run afoul of the ASPCA.

One other nuisance are the ATV's and dirt bikes. Besides the trespassing issues and off-road vehicles on our roads; noise is another problem. I do not understand why we do not require better mufflers on this equipment?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
There was once a house one street over from me that liked to party all night on summer weekends. The house backed right up to my elderly neighbor across the street, but he was afraid to do anything about it because most of these dirtbags were ex-cons. They would all hang out on the back deck, sit in the hot tub, get drunk/high, blast the radio and then start fighting with each other. We have a strict HOA that will evict nuisance renters asap, but these were not renters. An elderly man owned the house, went into a nursing home and his useless (grown) kids and their friends would come down on weekends and trash the place. I called the state police every single weekend they kept us up. It was almost two months before it stopped, but the last police visit ended their summer-long party permanently. One of the homeowner's sons and a handful of his buddies were locked up that night because there was a domestic incident and the cops also caught a couple of the guests (who were on probation) with drugs.

Keep calling the cops--it worked for me. Often times, people who party all night and are bad neighbors have been in trouble with the law before. Get them violated on probation and it's bye-bye idiot neighbor. If you find out they are convicted felons, inform the other neighbors and the police (if they don't already know). I sure hope the cops up there are as vigilant as the ones here in Delaware. The parties always stopped once the cops showed up, and once they were caught fighting and had drugs in their possession, the nuisance neighbor problem ended permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania