Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM

302 posts, read 629,698 times

Advertisements

Matilda, good point about the houses being built to last. That is very true. I know many people who complain about their newer homes being frail.

I was looking into Dunmore because it has a larger population. When you say they are close minded to others, does that mean non Italian people or you mean anyone not born there?

As far as riff raff, I mean low life. Violent crimes like rape and murder? Gangs? Houses being broke into all the time or cars being stolen? Alot of drug activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Matilda, good point about the houses being built to last. That is very true. I know many people who complain about their newer homes being frail.

I was looking into Dunmore because it has a larger population. When you say they are close minded to others, does that mean non Italian people or you mean anyone not born there?

As far as riff raff, I mean low life. Violent crimes like rape and murder? Gangs? Houses being broke into all the time or cars being stolen? Alot of drug activity?
I mean closed minded to others meaning basically people not born and raised in Dunmore. I lived my entire life about 10 minutes away and experienced this.

Rampant violent crime like rape, murder, gangs, home invasions, stolen cars, and drug activity? All of those things happen in this area, but not to a level that would be considered rampant. Even the worst parts of Scranton are relatively safe. The city of Scranton only averages about 1 murder per year, and the crime rate is below the national average.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Something you need to realize about older homes like that, though, is a lot of them were built to last. Remember, homes built in the early 20th century were built during a time of no A/C and no electric heat, so if they were built correctly they were meant to withstand the elements. This may not be true in every case, but compared to the homes of the 1960s-1970s I'd be willing to bet that the earlier built homes will be sturdier.
I agree. From the rooms in my old house that I've gutted, I can see the building materials they used 100 years ago were much more high-quality than the particle board they use in new houses now. I'd love to see the houses in the subdivisions they're building these days in 80 years.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
375000 is definitely too expensive. Thats what a smaller house in Jersey costs. I would love a larger newer home AND be close to my culture and religion. So it seems I have to chose between the two. When I say NEW home most probably think I mean just built. but Ill take even the 60s or 70s. Ive seen listings for houses in Jessup Dunmore and Old Forge from 1900- 1940. That scares me a bit lol! My husband is not a handy man at all
All 3 of those towns have newer developments. The town right next to Jessup...Archbald....seems to have a lot of listings of newer houses for sale. Archbald is in the same school district as Jessup. Being that they share the same school district, Archbald (which includes Eynon and Sturges), Blakely (which includes Peckville), and Jessup have kind of become the same community.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
All 3 of those towns have newer developments. The town right next to Jessup...Archbald....seems to have a lot of listings of newer houses for sale. Archbald is in the same school district as Jessup. Being that they share the same school district, Archbald (which includes Eynon and Sturges), Blakely (which includes Peckville), and Jessup have kind of become the same community.
Except only Jessup has Saint YOO-BAHHLD-OOH Day

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 PM

So it seems most of Lackawanna is a good county which appeals to many. All walks of life, good schools, low crime, different types of housing , land and incomes. I read somewhere else on this forum that Scranton has gone down hill and is a hell hole now and avoid anywhere near it. Its so hard to get real facts on the internet. One person says one thing, and someone else says another.Plus there are other websites that have ridiculous crime ratings on all towns. They convince you no place is safe lol.

Ok so let me ask all you incredibly informative people what town you think is best for me.Italian, Catholic, conservative, low crime, good schools, newer homes around 250000, quiet, close to a barn....this isnt in order of importance just how Im rambling lol!!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Except only Jessup has Saint YOO-BAHHLD-OOH Day
-----it is pronunced --oooohhhhh(rhymes with two) baldo

Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
So it seems most of Lackawanna is a good county which appeals to many. All walks of life, good schools, low crime, different types of housing , land and incomes. I read somewhere else on this forum that Scranton has gone down hill and is a hell hole now and avoid anywhere near it. Its so hard to get real facts on the internet. One person says one thing, and someone else says another.Plus there are other websites that have ridiculous crime ratings on all towns. They convince you no place is safe lol.

Ok so let me ask all you incredibly informative people what town you think is best for me.Italian, Catholic, conservative, low crime, good schools, newer homes around 250000, quiet, close to a barn....this isnt in order of importance just how Im rambling lol!!
jessup is my first choice(family there)--better chance of finding less crime

dunmore(my birthplace)second---yes it is NOT very accepting of non born and raised there in some parts but the hollywood section is better(blakely street--to greenridge---especially marywood college area and monroe,jefferson,northwashington streets)

old forge----meh!--corrupt police,fire dept and a long time birthplace of sexually screwed up italian men(they should be ashamed of themselves----but this has gone on since the 50's)

drugs and the problems exsist in all of nepa towns---i vote for the lehigh valley

police depts are better in jessup and dunmore--old forge is only good for pizza and overly priced housing usually owned by the local italian lumber company/builders there imo

Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
-----it is pronunced --oooohhhhh(rhymes with two) baldo
That's not how they say it on da NoOoz!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM

I speak some Italian, proper pronounciation is oo-bahl-dough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania