Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 AM

201 posts, read 539,031 times

Advertisements

I also think it is ridiculous. I am betting that those childern hear worse from their own parents or talk worse themselves. If I were a judge, I would fine the officer for such a crazy arrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:13 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I think it is crazy. What is this communist Russia? We're not allowed to use profanity in our own houses anymore. It's not like we don't hear these words everyday in music and film. I think this is just a case of a police officer abusing his power. The charges against this woman should be tossed and the Scranton police dept. owe her an apology. It's not like she was drunk and disorderly on the street harassing people. She was in her own home. What is our country coming to?

Are you kidding? You do realize that this "lady" was yelling obscenities that could be heard a block away, right? That is called disturbing the peace, at the very least. Nobody, especially children, should have to listen to such filth. If she was my neighbor, I'd have been on the phone with the police as well. People like you make this story about to be just some person who cursed in the privacy of their house, and that is NOT the case. The sad part is that this woman has small children. I feel sorry for them, having to live with that excuse for a mother.

Again, she was not in her own home, due to the fact that the whole neighborhood could hear her tirade. Would you think it was OK if your neighbor went into his front yard screaming filth for the neighborhood to hear? What's the difference if someone was yelling by an open window to be heard throughout the block or from the front sidewalk?

I say it was appropriate to arrest this yahoo. Everybody's overrreacting about this arrest...even though it carries a penalty of possible jail time, she won't get any jail time....she'll get a fine, which I think is appropriate in this situation.

Last edited by FightinPhils; 10-22-2007 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Communist Russia... Nazi Germany...

When did we stop being just plain old Scranton?

Quote:
Everybody's overrreacting about this arrest...even though it carries a penalty of possible jail time, she won't get any jail time....she'll get a fine, which I think is appropriate in this situation.
As they say in the internets, Quoted for Truth!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:32 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley19 View Post
I also think it is ridiculous. I am betting that those childern hear worse from their own parents or talk worse themselves. .
So that makes it excusable? Just because a kid may have retard parents who curse in front of their kids, that makes it OK for some other dimwit to shout every vulgarity under the sun out their window?

People who need to speak with obscenities just show their lack of intelligence.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 PM

201 posts, read 539,031 times
A quick question.. Who ever deemed certain words to be "curse words" or obsenities? Does anyone know how this originated? To me, words are words but because some one decided they did not like the way it sounded, they made it evil? Take the word ass for example. An ass is a donkey so why is it concidered an obsenity? We have new fans in work that say "Big Ass Fans" on them. That is the name of the company. Should people take offense to that? It is not a sin to say certain words (except the Lords name in vein) so why should you be able to be arrested for it? Of course I would not like anyone yelling those words at or to me but only because society deems it as wrong and that is what we learn. This is not the first time I ever thought of this but no one has been able to give me an answer though. I do not want to start any contraversy over this, just trying to understand how it got started. Anyone know?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
WAG, but way back in the day, hundreds of thousands of years ago (on a Tuesday, I believe), Og the caveman was bored. Having already invented language, agriculture and discovering fire, he had brought peace to his land. And like anything that is good, too much peace and quiet can be boring. So, since he was worshiped as a God because of that fire thing, he decided to entertain himself and feign outrage whenever a certain word was mentioned. It made his days much more exciting, and his tradition carries on in modern times in the form of racism, religious intolerance, xenophobia, message boards and Groucho Marx's "secret woid". His "List of random words that outrage Og" form the basis of today's profanity--see Carlin, George's "Seven Words..."

Old 10-22-2007, 02:06 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,236 times
Go Ashley....you're right, there's no basis for it. Words can only reflect the hollow of our minds. And don't stop there. Keep questioning. There are many social constructions that make no sense. You can get free of it all just by questioning everything and coming up with your own answers. Ha! Ain't life grande?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,651 times
The same reason you can be cited for public urination. We ALL urinate, but I don't want my kids to watch you do it on my front lawn.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
ashley19 wrote:
Who ever deemed certain words to be "curse words" or obsenities?
I'm guessing that some religious person with a good business mind had nothing better to do one day and and invented the concept of bad words as a get rich quick scheme. With the concept of bad words in place, then you could make saying a bad word a sin and make people feel guilty. If people are feeling guilty there's a better chance of gettting them to go to church. Once you got em in church, then you hit em up to put money in a basket. Working this scheme over the years has made a ton of money because saying a bad word every now and then is so damn pleasurable.

What the cop's doing to this lady is an expanded version of the same get rich quick scheme. Make $300 bucks for providing absolutely no service to the community. In defense of the cop, writings tickets is alot safer than chasing a real criminal.

blessings...Franco

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 10-22-2007 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 03:12 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,659,511 times
Profanity is so prevelent in our society that it doesn't even shock people anymore. Some people use it in their everyday vocabulary. Kids aren't even phased by it anymore. I'm not saying it's right, but it's true. It's all over TV, radio, the movies, music. I just think that the police should be focusing on real crime, not some woman cursing at a toilet. Prior to this, she never had a criminal record. It's just words. If people can't handle hearing some profanity, then we're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania