Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,480 times

Advertisements

The poconorecord newspaper posted the trick or treat dates and times.

October 23, 2007
TRICK-OR-TREAT TIMES:
•4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31: Coolbaugh Township.
•5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31: Tobyhanna Township.
•6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31: Barrett Township, Chestnuthill Township, Delaware Water Gap, East Stroudsburg, Eldred Township, Hamilton, Jackson Township, Lehman Township, Middle Smithfield Township, Mount Pocono, Paradise Township, Pocono Township, Price Township, Smithfield Township, Stroudsburg, Stroud Township, and Tunkhannock Township.
•4 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 29: Borough of Portland.
•5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31: Polk Township, Ross Township.

TO ALL YOU PEOPLE NEW TO THE AREA OR THINKING ABOUT MOVING HERE...HALLOWEEN AIN'T LIKE LONG ISLAND/NJ. DEPENDING ON YOUR TOWNSHIP YOUR KIDDIES MIGHT NOT BE TRICKORTREATING ON HALLOWEEN. and only at certain times too!!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM

And the Lehigh Valley DATES & times are even more WHACKED!!!

Bangor: 2-5 p.m. Oct. 28

Bethlehem: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Bethlehem Township: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Bowmanstown: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 31

Catasauqua: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Coopersburg: 7-9 p.m. Oct. 26

Coplay: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

East Allen Township: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Easton: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 31

Emmaus: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 25

Forks Township: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 31

Fountain Hill: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Freemansburg: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Hamburg: 6-9 p.m. Oct. 30 and 31

Hanover Township, Lehigh County: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26

Hanover Township, Northampton County: 6-8 p.m. Oct. 26 (updated)

Hellertown: 4-6 p.m. Oct. 28

Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 PM

And if we are lucky Christmas will still be celebrated on December 25th with a raindate for Feb.14th. LOL

Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Wow! I was not aware of this! Here in the Hamlin/Lake Ariel area, you still can celebrate on Halloween. I know that many parents who live in rural areas drive their kids to Honesdale and Waymart to trick-or-treat. My daughter went to Waymart last year and they really go all out! The families have parties, invite kids in, decorate nicely and really celebrate! It reminded me of the movie, Halloween Town. I loved it and wanted to walk around too! They have a small park where there was festivities also. Children were walking every where with their parents going from door to door, being greated by cheerful homeowners, many who were sitting outside waiting for their guests.

Here in The Hideout, we have what we call 'Trunk or Treat." It was started by parents many years ago, but now it has been taken over by our recreation Dept. with the help of our Secuirty force. They use our largest parking lot, you have to be in place by a certain time and are not allowed to leave until it's over for safety reasons. They tell everyone to bring candy for 200-300 children. You must be a resident to participate. The downside..it has grown to an almost unmanageable proportion. What kid needs all that candy?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:43 PM

92 posts, read 298,450 times
....and the idea is, what? You take your kids from car to car, getting candy from a trunk?
That's unreal. I'm sure when it first started, it was a terrific idea...but how do you really feel about the anonymity? My kids can remember which house they got a certain piece of candy from, most times. That's helpful, in case the "razor blade in the apple" thing ever does happen...but I doubt they could distinguish one trunk from another.
Wow. Again, that's unreal. I must be misunderstanding the concept.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
PA is a little too oppressive for my liking. I haven't gotten over my vexation of having to trust the government to determine where and for what price I can buy a Six (NOT 4!!!!!) Pack of beer or a bottle of wine.

Now this Halloween nonsense.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwest View Post
....and the idea is, what? You take your kids from car to car, getting candy from a trunk?
That's unreal. I'm sure when it first started, it was a terrific idea...but how do you really feel about the anonymity? My kids can remember which house they got a certain piece of candy from, most times. That's helpful, in case the "razor blade in the apple" thing ever does happen...but I doubt they could distinguish one trunk from another.
Wow. Again, that's unreal. I must be misunderstanding the concept.
Our elementary school PTO also has been doing the "trunk or treat" event, except it's called Halloween Tailgating Party. It helps that we have the fairgrounds behind the school to use for this event. Everyone registers beforehand by a certain date, so that the number of treats needed is known ahead of time. All cars have to be in the gates by a certain time, then the gates are closed and no one can go in or out until the event is over. Many people decorate their vehicles elaborately as prizes are awarded. One year a family had a whole haunted house setup. A signal is given for the kids to start making their way around the "trunks". When everyone is finished and the kids are safely in their cars, they start letting cars out. The whole affair takes about 3 hours. It's a great solution for kids from rural areas that don't have an actual "walkable town" to go trick or treating in. Plus they get to see all of their friends and their costumes and can even trick or treat with a bunch of classmates if they choose to. I feel safer getting candy from families that all have kids attending school together, the majority of which we do know, than I would having them go door to door at random houses.

Last edited by greentown; 10-24-2007 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Wow....that's ridiculous. Governments scheduling trick or treat times? I'm glad Scranton is not like that...the city doesn't dictate any "trick or treat time," we just go in our neighborhood on Halloween.

Another reason I like living in an established community with sidewalks, neighbors, etc.

Why would trick or treating be any other day but Halloween? Going trick or treating on the 26th just isn't right.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,747 times
Wow...that day and time thing is crazy....unacceptable if you ask me... Halloween is Halloween...we used to go from after school until about 8 or 9 and that was it.

I think we're either going to my sister's in NJ or just heading into Milford. I heard Milford is really good for trick or treating.

PCP does the truck or treat thing. I don't know if I'd want my kids walking around that place anyway for Halloween from the stories I've been hearing. Then I again I might not want them getting anything out of a truck either.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:53 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
The sad part about Milford is that all the residents in Milford get stuck buying expensive candy because all the people that live in the communties trick or treat in Milford. I do not think it is fair to the residents of Milford that have to incur the expense.

The Hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania