Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,542 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Wilkes-Barre with my Company who is currently based in Morristown, NJ. I currently live about 20 miles from Morristown near Newark and Staten Island, NY so it takes about an hour to drive one way.

I took a visit to Wilkes-Barre not long ago and i was driving down Wilkes-Barre PA. I was impressed with the city as i also made my way to town square. I saw a few areas that looked a little ghetto, reminding me of my hometown :-). However, I'm looking to get away from that. I'm looking to move close to the I-81/ Route 309 Junction but am open to living across the river from wilkes barre as well. Can anyone provide me infromation on Plains, Miners Mill, Parsons, Kingston, or Forty Fort? How clean are they? Any Crime? Is the housing as Tight together as it is in Wilkes-Barre? Again, Wilkes-Barre reminds me alot of Central Jersey and i would like to get away from that. I appreciate any help :-)

Also. I see lots of ad's in the newspaper for 3 bedroom duplexes going for between 450-600 a month. Are these decent places or are they the same crack houses i'm used to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Anybody?

Also what about Pittston, Nanticoke, Dallas and other areas around Wilkes Barre within 10 Miles.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:46 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,236 times
Check out the photo tours at the top of the page, most of these areas are covered in photo tours. And, the discussions in this sub forum cover it all as well. You could live within the city and have clustered houses and conveniences or you could be out in the woods and not see any neighbors within 15 minutes of wilkes barre. There's also a ton of suburban areas of cul de sacs with ranches and mcmansions. It just depends on what you like.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Great

I checked out the Photo Tours and Kingston seems to be a favorite right now. Any Other Recommendations anyone?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 PM

96 posts, read 583,386 times
check out Nanticoke --

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...hoto-tour.html

Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 PM

223 posts, read 796,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post
I'm moving to Wilkes-Barre with my Company who is currently based in Morristown, NJ. I currently live about 20 miles from Morristown near Newark and Staten Island, NY so it takes about an hour to drive one way.

congratulations on getting out of jersey. i left too recently. i read that jersey's population declined this year for the first time in many years. i wonder why.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:20 PM

223 posts, read 796,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNJ View Post

congratulations on getting out of jersey. i left too recently. PA is a great place, you are going to love it. good luck with your move. i read that jersey's population declined for the first time in many years. i wonder why.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:55 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
My husband worked in Morristown too for many years.
I think you will likes Wilkes-Barre. I seem to like Dallas and Harveys Lake just outside of Wilkes.
The Wyoming Valley Mall is so festive at Christmas time.
The Arena has quite a few shows and headliners who go there.
Your not all that far from shopping at Dickson City or enjoying the things to do in Scranton.
Just be aware of the areas that flood, if you go to purchase.......
Being nestled in the beautiful mountains will be so soothing, compared to heading for Morristown and the crowded areas around there now.
Best of Luck to you...........

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,884 times
All I ever hear on the radio about Wilkes Barre is MAIN WATER BREAK--detours--NO electricity due to XYZ--

Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,994 times
these are bitter berries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania