Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

the current crop of winter tires are more for ice than snow. my 4x4 vehicles thru the years all worked fine with stock tires in snow. its ice where the difference is huge. only problem is using the ice tires on pavement wearss them down to just a pair of regular tires very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Yes, the poconos is a whole different ball game. There are many times we get a foot of snow here and Scranton only gets rain.
Don't want to sound obcessive, but I would never do without my studs. I've driven in many a snow storm to know they are a life saver. Where I live here in the Hamlin/Lake Ariel area, once it starts snowing, there is nothing but windy hills to get to my home. No matter which way I go, it's not good. It has taken me as long as 2 hrs to do a 15 minute ride, mostly watching cars without snow or studded tires sliding backwards or sideways down a hill, or not being able to make it up a hill. I patiently wait my turn for the treacherous spot, and have no problems.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 PM

29 posts, read 116,367 times
Hey,

Thanks for all the good advice.

When would I put these on her car? And when would I take them off? I need to figure out how many total miles she'll put on.

When does winter hit and end around here?

Thanks again!

Kevin "It's gettin' cold.."

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 AM

92 posts, read 298,537 times
Kevin...you might as well plan for your wife having some "snow days" at home. You're talking about a 90-odd mile commute through three or four very distinct (and unpredictable) winter weather regions.
I'm in the business of supervising highway maintenance for the State of New York, and the snow/ice season is my busiest. (I tell my guys that the patching, mowing and guiderail they do all spring, summer and fall is just to keep them on the roster for winter.)
Wayne, Pike, Southern Orange , Rockland, Westchester counties are all passed through
on my daily commute, and all are completely different in terms of what comes down during a typical winter storm. Towing companies make their entire annual profit twice over during a good three day snow event, from all the winchouts and accidents.
(SWB will be pleased to know that, just last winter, I had to chain a Hummer to a tree to keep it from sliding down a hill after it got aggressive and jumped a guiderail...and, yes...he did try to sue for the scratches from the chaining.)
When you consider that another poster has already advised you that a 15 minute ride through the hilly areas can take upwards around two hours to complete, you start to think about how much more the wife's safety means to you. Remember, it's not only your traction that you have to worry about...you have to think about Joe Schmoe running his '83 Malibu Classic on balding Generals, and he's only trying to get to the bar down the road. Additionally, you're seeing more and more state agencies contract the snow and ice removal to people who don't bother spreading deicer even road salt until the bulk of the event has passed. It's how they manage the cost of materials.
In the event that you will not be reasoned with, or if her job is such that "snow days" equals insubordination (I, for one, am obligated to be out there- no snow days for me)...I run Bridgestone Revos and Michelin X-Ice on my pickups and Dodge Caravan. When I need studded tires, I am head-over-heels for Gislaved Nordfrost 3's. You can get them easily (but not cheap) in Canada, or through Continental in the States. They don't come shooting out like so many little darts, even after running on bare pavement much longer than recommended, which sometimes cannot be avoided unless you have a tire machine in your garage. Not to mention...it's a great looking tire.

Can't say I've never had a problem, but hey...who doesn't on I-84?
Hope this all helps you some.

Incidentally, while I have you here...aside from the tires, go over the other things for travel in snow and ice areas.
*Keep your fuel tank full, for all the obvious reasons...plus use as ballast.
*Winter-Wiper-Blades, front and back. Make this your mantra.
*Keep a snow brush in the car.
*Use a high-quality windshield wash with antifreezing additives. The road salt residue from the cars in front of you whites out your windshield more than the snow does.
*Keep a cell phone charger in the car.
*Flush and fill that cooling system. I see so many overheats every single storm, it's sad.
*Consider a block heater if there's no garage at your house.
*Make sure everybody who cares about you knows which way you take to work.
*Make sure the rear defroster works.
*Throw a blanket, some warm clothes, a change of boots, some road flares...in the trunk.

Welcome to NEPA, where Frosty The Snowman comes to chill.

Last edited by tcwest; 10-30-2007 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: Add-on info

Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarestRX View Post
Hey,

Thanks for all the good advice.

When would I put these on her car? And when would I take them off? I need to figure out how many total miles she'll put on.

When does winter hit and end around here?

Thanks again!

Kevin "It's gettin' cold.."
There is a law that gives dates that studded tires can be used in PA. I think it's something like Oct 15 till April. I'm sure somewhere that sells tires would know for sure.

It's hard to say when winter starts and ends around here. It's best to be prepared for snow from mid-November until April. Last year we had temps in the 70's in December and an ice storm the second week of April. Ya just never know!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Yes, You never know about the snw here. I can remember one Saturday (Don't ask me what year!) I was working in a bank, we had unseasonably warm temps. People were coming in with tank tops on! The talk was that they were predicting a Noreaster (spelling?) Everyone though the weather men were way off, bu we got our share of snow that night! Just a few weeks ago it was 80 degrees on Wed. and by Friday night, watching a H.S. football game, it was in the 30's.
Around 1996 we had planned a trip to Florida. We left in May on Mother's Day. We had flurries that morning!!
About 4 years ago on Christmas Day we got over 3 ft of snow, yes in ONE day!

Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
About 4 years ago on Christmas Day we got over 3 ft of snow, yes in ONE day!
At that time, I was still an operator. I stayed at work for three straight days, 16 on, 8 off during the event and for the cleanup afterwards. That happens to be the same storm (I think it must have been) the aforementioned SUV went through the rail and teeter-tottered on the banks of the Ramapo River before we chained him to a poplar.
The worst part of the NEPA snow, in my experience, isn't always the snowfall itself...it's the blowing snow from all the iced-over lakes and open fields. Your snow & ice guys came take a 3' depth down to the bare pavement, and still have their arse handed to them by the winds that follow.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwest View Post
(SWB will be pleased to know that, just last winter, I had to chain a Hummer to a tree to keep it from sliding down a hill after it got aggressive and jumped a guiderail...and, yes...he did try to sue for the scratches from the chaining.)
Well, I don't ever like to see anyone facing adversity, but if you think driving a vehicle like that makes you "invincible" on ice, then I can't say I have a heck of a lot of sympathy. SUVs might have an advantage over sedans in snow, but when it comes to ice, not even zamboni drivers would feel comfortable FLYING past everyone on I-81. People overall just need to slow down during wintry weather. I'll continue to put on my flashers and drive at 35 in the right lane during squalls and inclement conditions. Don't like it? Be my guest and pass me. LOL!

Old 10-31-2007, 12:33 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,827 times
Post Great advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwest View Post
Incidentally, while I have you here...aside from the tires, go over the other things for travel in snow and ice areas.
*Keep your fuel tank full, for all the obvious reasons...plus use as ballast.
*Winter-Wiper-Blades, front and back. Make this your mantra.
*Keep a snow brush in the car.
*Use a high-quality windshield wash with antifreezing additives. The road salt residue from the cars in front of you whites out your windshield more than the snow does.
*Keep a cell phone charger in the car.
*Flush and fill that cooling system. I see so many overheats every single storm, it's sad.
*Consider a block heater if there's no garage at your house.
*Make sure everybody who cares about you knows which way you take to work.
*Make sure the rear defroster works.
*Throw a blanket, some warm clothes, a change of boots, some road flares...in the trunk.

Welcome to NEPA, where Frosty The Snowman comes to chill.
AS you sure you're not channeling my father? Growing up, my dad had a big box in the trunk of every car in the family that had all that stuff (minus the cell phone of course, and adding a bag of salt or sand and a collapsible shovel! ) and had the cars winterized in late fall. I never got stuck or stranded...thanks Pop!

One more thing to add...drive defensively. You have got to look out for those "invincible" drivers who think because they're in their mighty SUVs, or just "know how to drive in this weather" damn all the safety rules and go like thunder during horrible weather! My mantra: slow and steady gets you there safe!

Excellent advice!!

Cathy

Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyde View Post
AS you sure you're not channeling my father? Growing up, my dad had a big box in the trunk of every car in the family that had all that stuff (minus the cell phone of course, and adding a bag of salt or sand and a collapsible shovel! ) and had the cars winterized in late fall. I never got stuck or stranded...thanks Pop!

One more thing to add...drive defensively. You have got to look out for those "invincible" drivers who think because they're in their mighty SUVs, or just "know how to drive in this weather" damn all the safety rules and go like thunder during horrible weather! My mantra: slow and steady gets you there safe!

Excellent advice!!

Cathy
I think maybe our dads graduated from the same program...baby boomers of doom school.
"Air raid! Air raid! Quick, hide under your school desk with your hands over your head!"
Everything had to be planned, replanned and gone over in great detail. It turned me into a slightly paranoid but well prepared adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania