Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times

Advertisements

There was an article in the paper today about the possibility of a science center being built somewhere in NEPA that could have an IMAX theater, aquarium and aviary.

“Science centers are also part of the quality of life in a community,” said Robert “Mac” West, Ph.D., the principal of Informal Learning Experiences Inc., a Washington-based consulting firm the group has hired to conduct the study.

The Times-Tribune - Group pushes plans for science center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 06:31 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Oh wow...that would be a great addition to the area!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
A ideal location for such an 'animal' would be the Irem Temple in Wilkes-Barre on North Franklin Street; it has already been proposed as the nucleus for a proposed "Museum of the Susquehanna" complete with an IMAX; maybe this could bring the project to fruition.....and help make it a major museum increasing its viability and level of interest.

The building has a huge auditorium, a ball room, parking and room for expansion; it is also located very near the Susquehanna Portal that willl serve as performance venue when completed.....

Last edited by WasPA; 11-03-2007 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: grammaticals

Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 PM

98 posts, read 378,514 times
Isn't the Item Temple a historical building? Not likely. I am pretty sure an aquarium building will have to be built new rather than fit into an existing structure. Too many mechanical systems.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I park at the Irem Temple building, and the plans for that building have shifted towards renovating it into an artists' colony with galleries and workshops (and perhaps a small cafe). Not a day goes by where I don't walk past the Franklin Street facade of this ornate building and just start longingly at it; the transformation into some sort of bohemian haven will be a much-welcomed addition to downtown.

I think either Downtown Scranton or Downtown Wilkes-Barre would be perfect candidates for this sort of science center/IMAX project. It's nice to see our area on the upswing like this.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:11 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post
Isn't the Item Temple a historical building? Not likely. I am pretty sure an aquarium building will have to be built new rather than fit into an existing structure. Too many mechanical systems.
As I said, there is room for expansion at the site....

Wilkes-Barre city owns the former First National Bank building on Public Sq. It's that old greek temple next to the Luzerne National Bank Building (formerly Northeastern National). It would be good to see some kind of arts/museum/performance usage of this vacant structure...and soon....but there isn't any room for expansion, except upward which would compromise the structure's architecture/ proportions.

Last edited by WasPA; 11-04-2007 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times
It would make sense to put an aquarium somewhere on the waterfront, so probably Pittston, WB, etc.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM

98 posts, read 378,514 times
doubtful someone woudl build a multi million dollar aquarium in a flood zone (near the river). High water would cuase damge each tiem including killing all the animals.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post
doubtful someone woudl build a multi million dollar aquarium in a flood zone (near the river). High water would cuase damge each tiem including killing all the animals.

Which would make downtown Scranton a much more appealing site for an aquarium.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 70,069 times
I vote for the Moosic area so that it's in the middle between Scranton/Wilkes Barre so that it gets the full support of both Cities.

Does anyone know how to contact these people to help or get involved. As an experienced ponder and a water operator I'd love to offer my services.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania