Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,116,165 times

Advertisements

Conservative org: Scranton is Pa. city most likely to be next Detroit; mayor, PEL disagree - News - The Times-Tribune

Quote:
A nonprofit conservative organization thinks Scranton is the most likely candidate of Pennsylvania's struggling cities to "become the next Detroit." However, Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty and the city's Act 47 coordinator, Pennsylvania Economy League, disagree.

In the wake of Detroit recently declaring bankruptcy, the Citizens Alliance of Pennsylvania, a self-described "pro-employer, pro-taxpayer" group established in 2009, issued a report Wednesday that said, "It is reasonable to wonder which cities in Pennsylvania might be on the same path as Detroit."
PEL: Scranton could be looking at $18 million deficit, 117 percent tax hike in 2014 - News - The Times-Tribune

Quote:
Scranton taxpayers could face a 117 percent increase in taxes next year as the city's finances continue to spiral out of control.

A new analysis by the Pennsylvania Economy League projects an $18 million deficit for 2014, an amount so massive it outpaces the approximate $17 million the struggling city collects annually in just property taxes.

The property tax hike needed to balance the city budget, should a commuter tax fall through, would mean increasing the average Scranton taxpayer's bill from $506.98 to $1,100.14. That's based on land assessed at $2,398 and improvements assessed at $8,734.

PEL, the city's Act 47 recovery coordinator, detailed the worst-case-scenario estimate in a July 10 letter to the city. Councilman Bob McGoff mentioned during council's meeting Thursday that PEL projects a $15.4 million deficit for 2014.

Since this deemed "off Topic" for a Scranton thread I figured it needs a thread of its own.

Beware all those that are looking at this city to move to or invest in. It will only continue to get worse with our lameduck mayor and lameduck council and new batch of the whose who of political hacks and space fillers coming into the next election, nothing will change.

You have been warned..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,099,497 times
i think wilkes barre is also a top contender!

Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM

452 posts, read 683,562 times
When looking at the US cities in the worst financial shape, the majority share several things in common. Years of democratic rule, Unions having a choke hold on budgets and white flight from the city. The only glaring difference with Scranton is the fact the city rulers have not been minorities. This, I'm certain will change in the near future. Right now, I think it's a dead heat between WB and Hazleton as to which city will be the next to go belly up. To those of you with the rose colored glasses on, continue to sing the accolades of your city. I can't decide what I'm enjoying more right now, watching the area implode or the people in denial about it.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM

32,624 posts, read 77,755,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
I can't decide what I'm enjoying more right now, watching the area implode or the people in denial about it.
If you live in the area and own property in the area, then why would you "enjoy" watching the area implode, thereby threatening your property value? If Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Hazleton all go "belly up", then your property in the suburbs will also be affected.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,116,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If you live in the area and own property in the area, then why would you "enjoy" watching the area implode, thereby threatening your property value? If Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Hazleton all go "belly up", then your property in the suburbs will also be affected.

Property values are already in the toilet, and will not going anywhere but further down the drain. The bottom is fast appora ching and yet many choose not to see it.

The iceberg has past, the band can't keep playing anymore and the SS Scranton is slipping below the surface on its way into the financial abyss and rock bottom..

Personally I prefer to watch the sheeple in denial, its just fun.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,964,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Property values are already in the toilet, and will not going anywhere but further down the drain. The bottom is fast appora ching and yet many choose not to see it.

The iceberg has past, the band can't keep playing anymore and the SS Scranton is slipping below the surface on its way into the financial abyss and rock bottom..

Personally I prefer to watch the sheeple in denial, its just fun.
LOL... me too! I am a quick study. 11 years and we are out. As far as our property we have a lovely little home and it will be paid off when we relocate, thinking our eldest will get it, or he can be our property manager if he stays in the area.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:27 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,182,620 times
Scranton has the potential to be a great city, but the people that run it have decided to squeeze the taxpayers while rolling the red carpet to bums and freeloaders. After all, they vote reliably Democrat. They don't care about the future of the city, as long as the city remains blue for decades to come.

As soon as the kids are out of school, I'm out of here.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,170,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
but the people that run it have decided to squeeze the taxpayers while rolling the red carpet to bums and freeloaders.
If you're talking about the Unions you realize that it was an arbiter and finally the courts that have put them in the position of paying those salaries and benefits? 75% of the expenditures are for Police, FF's and DPW.

http://www.scrantonpa.gov/business_a...g%20Budget.pdf

Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,964,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're talking about the Unions you realize that it was an arbiter and finally the courts that have put them in the position of paying those salaries and benefits? 75% of the expenditures are for Police, FF's and DPW.

http://www.scrantonpa.gov/business_a...g%20Budget.pdf
NO...it was a spoiled Mayor that stomped his feet and said I am not going to give even COLA's for over a decade that made the whole issue go to court! Appeal after appeal he still pitched a hissy fit. Not listening to anyone but his lawyer friends. If he had done the right thing from the beginning and was not concerned with billable hours for his friends all of these awards could have handle in a much more prudent and responsible manner. The unions truly had no recourse but to go to court.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,170,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
NO...it was a spoiled Mayor that stomped his feet and said I am not going to give even COLA's for over a decade that made the whole issue go to court! Appeal after appeal he still pitched a hissy fit. Not listening to anyone but his lawyer friends. If he had done the right thing from the beginning and was not concerned with billable hours for his friends all of these awards could have handle in a much more prudent and responsible manner. The unions truly had no recourse but to go to court.
That doesn't change the fact the arbiter did not take into account Scranton's ability to pay for the contract. What kind of BS is that? It's a crock because arbitration is never beneficial to the side that is paying the bill.

Did you know the FF's in WB are getting something like $2500 a year to not write parking tickets? The police union took the city to court when they started using meter maids as cost saving measure. They were awarded the $2500 to compensate them for the loss of the work writing parking tickets. The FF union then sued becsue their contract says they get paid what the police do. Now they have both the police and the FF department getting paid to not do something.

This is the type of stuff that infuriates people over these unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania