Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 PM

9,347 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Central PA sub-forum to no effect. I was hoping you guys could help me out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I may have a job opportunity South of Wilkes-Barre, and if it comes through, the thought is to split the commute with my girlfriend, who works in Harrisburg, between the Colonial Park/Linglestown Area/anywhere else inside civilization close to I-81. All ostensible midway points appear to be in the middle of nowhere.

According to Google Maps, the drive would take about 75 minutes (90% highway driving) each way. I can handle this as long as this is a genuine reverse-commute that won't be much worse during rush hour.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Not sure what the question is. Half way between WB and Harrisburg IS the middle of nowhere for city folk. Are you planning to commute from Harrisburg to WB? I would think construction would be worse than traffic.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,899,256 times
Pottsville is likely the only choice you have unless you really like rural living. You might want to think about gas? I was spending $50 a week when it was only $3 a gallon to drive 30 miles each way and you are looking at 50. Plus, that 75 minutes may not seem like much once in a while but try 5 days a week. My 40 minute drive 30 miles became murder after the first 2 weeks and I left the job after only one year. Why? That awful commute and 200 dollars a month I could save living closer to work.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
I think the OP is looking for housing halfway between Harrisburg, where the girlfriend works and somewhere "south of Wilkes-Barre" where the OP has found a job. That way, they both get to enjoy (?) a hellacious commute.

Chef's right, Pottsville looks like the option.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
Not sure what the question is. Half way between WB and Harrisburg IS the middle of nowhere for city folk. Are you planning to commute from Harrisburg to WB? I would think construction would be worse than traffic.
The plan would be to commute from Harrisburg to Wilkes-Barre because I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Pottsville is likely the only choice you have unless you really like rural living. You might want to think about gas? I was spending $50 a week when it was only $3 a gallon to drive 30 miles each way and you are looking at 50. Plus, that 75 minutes may not seem like much once in a while but try 5 days a week. My 40 minute drive 30 miles became murder after the first 2 weeks and I left the job after only one year. Why? That awful commute and 200 dollars a month I could save living closer to work.
I know 75 minutes each way twice a day won't be fun, but the position is an excellent job opportunity that would only last a year. The savings I'd gain splitting a 1-BR with my girlfriend would more than make up for the cost of gas. My only concern is whether those 75 minutes are actually 75 minutes! If the drive would take closer to two hours, then I probably can't do it.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I think the OP is looking for housing halfway between Harrisburg, where the girlfriend works and somewhere "south of Wilkes-Barre" where the OP has found a job. That way, they both get to enjoy (?) a hellacious commute.

Chef's right, Pottsville looks like the option.
No, East Shore of Harrisburg. It makes more sense for me to have the long commute because I'll be working regular hours (9-5 or 6) and my girlfriend's shifts are all over the place. I'd be looking for a place just off I-81 in Colonial Park or Linglestown (maybe Hershey). And as much as I don't want to live in Pottsville, I can only imagine how much my girlfriend, who can barely stand Harrisburg as it is, would take it.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 AM

Hershey to Wilkes Barre everyday is 100 miles each way. Pure murder. You aren't really looking reality straight in the eye. That is 2 hours each way if you are lucky. Plan on spending $400 a month in gas plus wear and tear on the car. You need to think on this carefully. Those four hours in the car everyday will get miserable.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM

How about inclement weather? Accidents and sometimes 78 backs up around Hershey at rush hour. Whoo boy, tread carefully.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 3,827 times
Little confused.

Off -topic. OP says he was offered another job on his profile but that this job "might come through". Where is other job? That would certainly factor into my decision first and foremost. If job was between this and Meadville, PA I might give thought. If the jobs are Wilkes-Barre and Pittsburgh or Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia there isn't really a decision.

Back to original question:

I commuted from Mechanicsburg, PA to Mountain top, PA when I worked for the Lackawanna State Forest. Every single estimate I got told me it would take between 2 hours and 2 hours and 20 minutes. I assumed (foolishly) that even that vague 20 minute window I could accommodate for. Fast-forward a month later when I started the job. The driving time was 2 hours and 45 minutes and the driving time back was on the low-end 3 hours. Sometimes during hellish rush-hour it was 4+ hours. I love high-way driving as much as the next person but this was pure torture. I was waking up upwards of 6:00 am to make sure I got to a job at 9:00am. Then leaving work at 5:30 and getting home around 11:00pm to do it all over again the next day. I managed to stay on at the job for the year but when they reoffered I kindly declined.

OP - granted, my commute was already an additional 20-30 minutes longer than yours will be. However, any experienced driver will tell you that estimates are just that, and usually fall on the far lower side of driving time. This is just one person's advice, but I would suggest either moving to Pottsville or reexamining other options. If you're already worried about a 75 minute commute I suggest you rethink this. If the job offer is only a year you might be able to swing it, but that is going to be one helleva long year!

Hope this helps!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Hershey to Wilkes Barre everyday is 100 miles each way. Pure murder. You aren't really looking reality straight in the eye. That is 2 hours each way if you are lucky. Plan on spending $400 a month in gas plus wear and tear on the car. You need to think on this carefully. Those four hours in the car everyday will get miserable.
It's actually 30 miles South of Wilkes-Barre (straight shoot on I-81). So about 70-75 miles depending on where in the Hburg area I chose.

Quote:
How about inclement weather? Accidents and sometimes 78 backs up around Hershey at rush hour. Whoo boy, tread carefully.
Inclement weather especially is an excellent point. As for the other issues, are those especially frequent concerns on I-81 (which I would be taking)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemandhaw View Post
Little confused.

Off -topic. OP says he was offered another job on his profile but that this job "might come through". Where is other job? That would certainly factor into my decision first and foremost. If job was between this and Meadville, PA I might give thought. If the jobs are Wilkes-Barre and Pittsburgh or Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia there isn't really a decision.

Back to original question:

I commuted from Mechanicsburg, PA to Mountain top, PA when I worked for the Lackawanna State Forest. Every single estimate I got told me it would take between 2 hours and 2 hours and 20 minutes. I assumed (foolishly) that even that vague 20 minute window I could accommodate for. Fast-forward a month later when I started the job. The driving time was 2 hours and 45 minutes and the driving time back was on the low-end 3 hours. Sometimes during hellish rush-hour it was 4+ hours. I love high-way driving as much as the next person but this was pure torture. I was waking up upwards of 6:00 am to make sure I got to a job at 9:00am. Then leaving work at 5:30 and getting home around 11:00pm to do it all over again the next day. I managed to stay on at the job for the year but when they reoffered I kindly declined.

OP - granted, my commute was already an additional 20-30 minutes longer than yours will be. However, any experienced driver will tell you that estimates are just that, and usually fall on the far lower side of driving time. This is just one person's advice, but I would suggest either moving to Pottsville or reexamining other options. If you're already worried about a 75 minute commute I suggest you rethink this. If the job offer is only a year you might be able to swing it, but that is going to be one helleva long year!

Hope this helps!
I was offered a job in Philadelphia; the other position I'm speaking of would be a one-year gig that I could potentially take while deferring other said job offer. It sounds kind of confusing, but I don't want to give too many details on a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania