Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 08:32 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times

Advertisements

According to an article in the Times-Tribune, a 39 year old man sexually molested a girl over six years. He started this abuse when she was only SIX years old!!

The judge sentances him to 6 1/2 to 20 years. If he behaves in jail, he should be out in 6 1/2 years. Does that seem fair? The girl was six years old for god sakes. It isn't like he could say "she looked 18". Does anyone else think this is a disgusting act by our judicial system?

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site...d=415898&rfi=8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:33 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Let me preface this by saying I'm not, in any way, defending anything the guy did. That said, he's being sentenced according to State Sentencing Guidelines. He also pled no contest, which tends to reduce sentences. His sentence ranges from 6 1/2 to 20 years. If he had pled not guilty and was convicted, his sentence would surely be closer to 20 years. I also didn't see a mention of the exact length of his sentence.

Additionally, his punishment will not end upon his release. It appears that he will forever be labeled a sexually violent predator and will be forced to report any changes in residency and his status to local officials. I believe there are stiff penalties for failing to do so.

Furthermore, even if his sentence is only 6 1/2 years, do you really believe that a convicted child molester will skate through his term while behind bars? It's pretty widely known that of all the vile people serving time, child molesters are among the most contemptible, even among murderers and rapists. Every minute of his time will be spent watching his ass, literally and figuratively, I'm sure.

Finally, what makes you think that this sentence is unique to NEPA? This is apparently a common sentence range for this type of crime, and surely isn't setting any sort of precedent? Where's the outrage for past sentences? Why single out NEPA as being "lenient"?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 AM

49 posts, read 215,592 times
It's not just NE Penn it's all over the country and it's not right!

Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Agreed, but neither is singling out a region and blaming them for it, which is the impression left by the OP.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:23 AM

173 posts, read 582,656 times
question - the headline of the article says he raped the girl, however in the article it says "he tried to have sexual intercourse with her". Did he or did he not actually rape the girl? If he just molested her and attempted rape that might be why the sentence is what it is. Only If he actually went as far as having sex with the girl then that would be considered rape.. no?

For child molestation i believe 6 1/2 to 20 years is a perfectly fine judgement. If he actually went as far as raping her then maybe its a little on the light side. Like others said this guy will be forever labled a sex offender needing to register and report his every move to the state. His sentence does not end in the 6 1/2 to 20 years, it is a forever sentence when you are convicted of something like this.

(p.s. i think this guy is scum i'm not defending him. i'm just telling my opinion on the sentencing for him)

Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 AM

The linked article says he pled guilty to rape. I don't need or want details of how a 6 year old's innocence was taken from her.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 AM

173 posts, read 582,656 times
Ah i re-read it and i missed that part. I just seen the part that says "he tried". Trying and doing are 2 totally different things which is why i questioned it. But if he pleaded guilty to rape then i guess that answers the question as to what really happened. I hope he serves atleast 10 years for this horriable act.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Agreed, but neither is singling out a region and blaming them for it, which is the impression left by the OP.
If you read the title I said are "Judges/Laws" Judges are specific to NE PA, the laws would be state specific. Hope that clarifies.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:00 PM

Of course I read the title. It implies that you are wondering if both the judges and the application of the laws are too lenient in NEPA. You weren't asking what you thought you were asking.

If you read my first response, you would have noticed that the judges in NEPA (and every other region) are likely bound by statewide guidelines. That means that the sentences handed down would be very similar here for one crime as they would be in any other city in the Commonwealth for a person convicted of a similar crime. Naturally, extenuating circumstances would be considered, such as is the defendant habitual, was the crime committed in conjunction with another crime, etc. Take the lady cursing at her toilet...much has been made of the fact that she faced up to three years in prison, as if three years is guaranteed. If she has no prior convictions, she'll get nothing more than a fine in all probability if it even goes to trial. By the same token, the molester, given that he's currently serving a sentence in state prison for an unrelated assault, has shown himself to be a habitual offender and will probably not get close to the minimum sentence of 6 1/2 years.

Some people like to rag on the Times for not reporting accurately. It can also be said that these same people only read what they want to read. Nowhere in the article did it say he was getting the light end of the sentence, but that's what you chose to react to, as if it was a lock that he'd be walking the streets come May 2014.

If you are asking if the sentencing guidelines are too lenient statewide, then ask that question. Don't single out NEPA or its judges based on one repulsive case, please.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
This has nothing to do with the above cases. I have personally been involved in a civil action in Dingmans.....a true kangaroo court. Some of the things I have seen here in the Commonwealth would not be tolerated anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania