Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 4,486 times

Advertisements

Hi new here and was thinking about buying a vacation place on the recommendation of a friend in the Canadensis greater area? Looking basically under 150 but could be persuaded slightly higher for something really nice. Seems like low rate of foreclosure so feel area has to be still nice. but just wanted your more informed opinions. Here are my questions. And I do plan on riding up of course if the weather ever gets nice. Thanks in advance for your help.

1)Which is in your opinion nicer, Canadensis, Mountainhome or Cresco. Are they much different? Is there anything to do and do any have nice villages?
I notice houses near Brodhead creek are cheaper, I know it had a big flood 50 yrs ago, is it prone to flooding or in flood zone. Would you to prefer to live in the main communities or a planned community with dues? Or outside the main town without community?
2)Are there many second home owners here.
3)How rural and out of the way is it. Are there things to do,places to eat etc?
4)Are outsiders welcomed or not? I generally keep to myself
5)How do you feel about there communities.
A)Buck Hill-know dues are insane, I already tossed this out
B)Skytop-seems dues are somewhat high but taxes are insane. Is this correct?
C)Lake in the Clouds-This seems appealing to me and seemed the most interesting in my internet searches.IS it nice place to live part time? Is any of the 3 divisions nicer? Is it well taken care of? Dues are low.
D) The Hamlet? Nicer then Lake in the Clouds? Dues seem fine.
E) Any suggestions, towns or communities.

Again thanks for your help.

Last edited by adameyeball; 12-11-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adameyeball View Post
Hi new here and was thinking about buying a vacation place on the recommendation of a friend in the Canadensis greater area? Looking basically under 150 but could be persuaded slightly higher for something really nice. Seems like low rate of foreclosure so feel area has to be still nice. but just wanted your more informed opinions. Here are my questions. And I do plan on riding up of course if the weather ever gets nice. Thanks in advance for your help.

1)Which is in your opinion nicer, Canadensis, Mountainhome or Cresco. Are they much different? Is there anything to do and do any have nice villages?
I notice houses near Brodhead creek are cheaper, I know it had a big flood 50 yrs ago, is it prone to flooding or in flood zone. Would you to prefer to live in the main communities or a planned community with dues? Or outside the main town without community?
2)Are there many second home owners here.
3)How rural and out of the way is it. Are there things to do,places to eat etc?
4)Are outsiders welcomed or not? I generally keep to myself
5)How do you feel about there communities.
A)Buck Hill-know dues are insane, I already tossed this out
B)Skytop-seems dues are somewhat high but taxes are insane. Is this correct?
C)Lake in the Clouds-This seems appealing to me and seemed the most interesting in my internet searches.IS it nice place to live part time? Is any of the 3 divisions nicer? Is it well taken care of? Dues are low.
D) The Hamlet? Nicer then Lake in the Clouds? Dues seem fine.
E) Any suggestions, towns or communities.

Again thanks for your help.
I grew up in Canadensis. But I have not lived there for about forty five years.

I did live through the big flood in 1955. Immediately after the flood the government constructed several large flood control earthen dams to prevent another major flood. That does not mean that I would buy real close to the Brodheads - the water can still rise pretty high.

The biggest problem with that area is lack of retail stores and competition. You will have to travel to Mt. Pocono, Tannersville, Bartonsville, or Stroudsburg/E. Stroudsburg for deals or some items.

But I liked the rural living when I grew up - you might not.

Watch your speed through that whole area (especially on Route 390) - the local cops can get a little ambitious.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,486 times
Thanks for your reply. I know it is rural but what do people think of the above towns and communities themselves? Anybody?

Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adameyeball View Post
Thanks for your reply. I know it is rural but what do people think of the above towns and communities themselves? Anybody?
I was hoping that somebody else answered. I left over there in the late 1960's. Things have changed since then. I do belong to a camp up by Skytop and I do drive through the area. Our home is only a short drive away in Swiftwater. I had caddied at Buck Hill when I was thirteen and I have been in both Skytop and Buck Hill - but many years ago. Skytop looks like an old castle and they keep the grounds in great shape - but it was always expensive. I cannot tell you anything about the others that you mentioned.

Sometimes it just takes time before somebody with experience will answer. Give it a few days.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:20 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
My sister lives in the Hamlet full time. It's quiet, very rural. They have 2 fantastic pools. Do you have kids? There aren't many there which is a blessing for adults but not to great if you want your small children to have someone else to play with. I think it's a gorgeous area but lots of snow and ice and the roads can be dicey in the winter. But that's the mountains! I'm not sure what else I can add. Skytop is gorgeous, but I don't know what you'd be looking for there. I believe all private homes there are very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania