Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
As a 21-year-old, I know the Social Security system will likely have gone belly-up years before I'm ready to retire, so I don't really care too much about this issue. However, I agree with ConorsDad, TheHighHat, and NYRangers2008 about screening drug users from colllecting SSI benefits off the back of the tax payers.

i wouldnt worry about the system going belly up. remember this program is brought to you by the people who run the printing presses. they will simply fund it with either new money or shift money from other programs. compared to the medicare deficit the social security thing is a cake walk.

more of a concern to me is the bogus way the cpi index is figured and smoothed over and altered constantly to give the lower number..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM

98 posts, read 378,627 times
Quote:
As a 21-year-old, I know the Social Security system will likely have gone belly-up years before I'm ready to retire, so I don't really care too much about this issue. However, I agree with ConorsDad, TheHighHat, and NYRangers2008 about screening drug users from colllecting SSI benefits off the back of the tax payers.

Reasonable is our eyes but not practical at all. The fact of the matter is what happens then? We all hear how these people are a product of their environment and there is truth to that. Many on SSI are 2nd and 3rd generation. Put yourself in their shoes. How do you climb out of that? Is it a surprise SSI receipients have drug, alcohol or domestic violence issues? The problem is so complex including education, social services, how do you make up for fatherless homes?

If drug testing voided receiving SSI there simply would be more drug use and more crime. If the country wanted to put a dent in this then lets add in mandatory birth control, no benefits if your kids arent in school full time and so on. Too many fronts and most of them are civil rights violations.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post

If drug testing voided receiving SSI there simply would be more drug use and more crime. If the country wanted to put a dent in this then lets add in mandatory birth control, no benefits if your kids arent in school full time and so on. Too many fronts and most of them are civil rights violations.

I agree with mandatory birth control for all who are on public assistance. I've said that for a long time. The kids in school thing is a great idea as well.

But, if as you said, that drug use would continue for these people even if they weren't on SSI....I say so what, at least their crack and heroin won't be bought on my dime.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
You are right Conor....they have no business having any more children when they can not take care of themselves. It is a vicious cycle.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,765 times
I just don't think it's fair when the rest of us are responsible enough to not have children when we can't or not buy a drill which we don't need. I sometimes feel frustrated to not have something because I want to wait until I have the money saved up. When I see people going belly up and putting their hand out it just is sad.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 PM

64 posts, read 209,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlasi View Post
SWB - If you think you may be a cynic, just wait until you get that BofA job. I worked "on the Mountain" for three years.

All day long you'll speak to people just like this family who have no inclination to manage their money appropriately at all. You'll see people who bounce checks like it's their jobs. You'll see bitter divorces that ruin people's finances along with the rest of their lives. You have to have a pretty thick skin up there.

I wish you luck because it is a well-paying job with opportunity for advancement. It was a great experience for me prior to going into the mortgage financing field. I know you have a kind way about you and enjoy helping people. Use that to make the best of your time there. There are times that you'll have opportunities to change lives for the better by offering solutions.

I also wish you well with the BoA job. I had worked in operations down here in Columbia, SC the last two years after I moved here from NEPA. BoA is a good company to work for and like KBlasi stated, good room for advancement too. Additionally, I agree with what you stated about being responsible for your own actions. My father had also gone the same route, lost a high paying job as a manager/chemist and ended up working as COOK to make the mortgage payment. Going from 70k+ a year to 9.25 an hour not only is real stress, but its doing what you got to do to survive! One thing I can say about down here in the south, the job market is so full of opportunities some here take advantage of it. And some are plan lazy. And no...I'm not talking about all people in the south because I am married to a southern boy. Its actually a culture shock to see people buying up $450k + houses, driving bmw's and high end cars and Having to have ALL designer clothes yet still find time to complain abouty how "tough" things are! I've always said..."go back to where I'm from and you will see tough. Those people have no choice but to work 2 jobs, live "tight" to make ends meet." Don't get me wrong, I love the beauty of the area here and the wonderful warm weather (its going to be 75 & 78 this weekend! ) but some individuals need a wakeup call down here. My husband was born and raised down here and until he got to see what its like back home, he and may others just thought "northeners" were grumpy people....for no reason. LOL And yes he was joking seeing that he married a yankee! But I'm a darn PROUD yankee because where I'm from, people don't worry about living high on the hog and doing everything in life to impress everyone else around them!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtiff21 View Post
I also wish you well with the BoA job. I had worked in operations down here in Columbia, SC the last two years after I moved here from NEPA. BoA is a good company to work for and like KBlasi stated, good room for advancement too. Additionally, I agree with what you stated about being responsible for your own actions. My father had also gone the same route, lost a high paying job as a manager/chemist and ended up working as COOK to make the mortgage payment. Going from 70k+ a year to 9.25 an hour not only is real stress, but its doing what you got to do to survive! One thing I can say about down here in the south, the job market is so full of opportunities some here take advantage of it. And some are plan lazy. And no...I'm not talking about all people in the south because I am married to a southern boy. Its actually a culture shock to see people buying up $450k + houses, driving bmw's and high end cars and Having to have ALL designer clothes yet still find time to complain abouty how "tough" things are! I've always said..."go back to where I'm from and you will see tough. Those people have no choice but to work 2 jobs, live "tight" to make ends meet." Don't get me wrong, I love the beauty of the area here and the wonderful warm weather (its going to be 75 & 78 this weekend! ) but some individuals need a wakeup call down here. My husband was born and raised down here and until he got to see what its like back home, he and may others just thought "northeners" were grumpy people....for no reason. LOL And yes he was joking seeing that he married a yankee! But I'm a darn PROUD yankee because where I'm from, people don't worry about living high on the hog and doing everything in life to impress everyone else around them!
Thanks for the encouragement. I've created an account online, have attached my resume to my profile, have crafted a well-composed cover letter, and have even applied for a specific position at their Scranton branch, but I have yet to hear back from them. I have notified two women I know who work there---a college classmate and my friend's mother---that I'm interested in working there, so hopefully they can have some "pull" in that regard. Initially I just applied there because I heard the pay was pretty good ($12/hr. or so to start I believe) for the area. However, the more and more I research about the company, the more and more I'm falling in love with it. The best Christmas gift of all right now would be to hear back from them, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

Speaking of South Carolina, why don't you ponder relocating to Greenville? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but on their sub-forum (which I've recently been lurking around in) they have no less than four regular photographers who have posted all sorts of gorgeous pictures of that city and have received nothing but positive feedback. It seems like it might be a more down-to-earth and less "keeping up with the Jones's" place than what you're currently dealing with in Columbia. Then again, we'd be happy to have you back here in NEPA as well.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:50 PM

64 posts, read 209,504 times
Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I've created an account online, have attached my resume to my profile, have crafted a well-composed cover letter, and have even applied for a specific position at their Scranton branch, but I have yet to hear back from them. I have notified two women I know who work there---a college classmate and my friend's mother---that I'm interested in working there, so hopefully they can have some "pull" in that regard. Initially I just applied there because I heard the pay was pretty good ($12/hr. or so to start I believe) for the area. However, the more and more I research about the company, the more and more I'm falling in love with it. The best Christmas gift of all right now would be to hear back from them, but I won't be getting my hopes up.

Speaking of South Carolina, why don't you ponder relocating to Greenville? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but on their sub-forum (which I've recently been lurking around in) they have no less than four regular photographers who have posted all sorts of gorgeous pictures of that city and have received nothing but positive feedback. It seems like it might be a more down-to-earth and less "keeping up with the Jones's" place than what you're currently dealing with in Columbia. Then again, we'd be happy to have you back here in NEPA as well.
Yes, greenville is beautiful...but its honestly more busy than Columbia ever thought of being. Columbia even gets better weather...as crazy as it sounds. LOL I have come to terms with the way of life for some of the people here. It's all they know...there is a term that my husband uses...old money. Alot of these folks have great great great grampas old tobacco farm money or money made off of real estate because of the growth in the area. And don't get me wrong soem genuinely earn it because of the better economy here. Its just a wake up call to see these huge houses and all these expensive cars (or at least they are to me). Its nothing to see a kid driving a new car...an expensive new car into highschool. Whew! I do feel better for venting now! LOL

Don't give up on the BoA job. I didnt hear back from them until a month or so later after I applied! I am sure you will do fine. And your even networking which is great too!

As for coming back to NEPA...I'd miss SC too much...and I'd miss the warm weather! lol And my husband would die in the cold up there. He about froze at Thanksgiving and told me he now knows why people up north have a reason to be grumpy in the winter!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:09 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,347,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtiff21 View Post
And my husband would die in the cold up there. He about froze at Thanksgiving and told me he now knows why people up north have a reason to be grumpy in the winter!
LOLOLOL - that's what I thought this last visit "home" - that everyone's so abrupt 'cause they're cold!
BOfA is laying off like crazy - sorry to rain on the parade - maybe it's different in NEPA - but the news here continues to be how BOfA and Wachovia, etc are experiencing "issues" supposedly due to the mortgage crisis. I don't know that Greenville-Spartanburg is any better than Columbia, other than you're closer to I77 () Anyway - welcome to the Southeast!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I just don't think it's fair when the rest of us are responsible enough to not have children when we can't or not buy a drill which we don't need. I sometimes feel frustrated to not have something because I want to wait until I have the money saved up. When I see people going belly up and putting their hand out it just is sad.
This made me laugh, because I thought the same thing. We ain't got no money, but I need a cordless drill.
When will people realize that welfare does not help most families. The only thing it does is keep them living off the public dollar. If a family is faced with getting a job or two or living in the streets, I think most would find jobs. But if that welfare and housing check keeps coming in the mail why go out and find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania