Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 05:04 PM

102 posts, read 325,988 times

Advertisements

Moving to Lackawaxen the end of the month. Hubby is a HUGE Phillies fan. He wants to get Directv so he can purchase the MLB package. Any opinions on this service vs. Blue Ridge ( which doesn't carry his favorite team - the Phillies )?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 04:15 PM

173 posts, read 582,573 times
I don't know jack about sports but Blue Ridge has MLB Extra Innings package which i believe is the same thing DirectTV has. Don't know if thats what he is looking for but wanted to mention it

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

13 posts, read 84,455 times
Default Phillies ARE NOT on satellite TV!!!!...I think.

Check with people that have Direct TV (I don't) and live in NE Pa (I also don't) but I don't believe the Phillies (or Sixers and Flyers) are broadcast on ANY satellite TV provider.

I bought a piece of land in NEPA and start inquiring myself.

Comcast (of Philly) has some sort of special rights to Philadelphia sports.

Comcast sells Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Northwest, NYC, etc. to the satellite providers but they will NOT sell SportsNet Philly to them.

Please try to get some info from people who actually have Direct TV in NEPA b/c I'm also wondering if the info I received was correct.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsMom View Post
Moving to Lackawaxen the end of the month. Hubby is a HUGE Phillies fan. He wants to get Directv so he can purchase the MLB package. Any opinions on this service vs. Blue Ridge ( which doesn't carry his favorite team - the Phillies )?

I'm a Phillies fan too, and I have to warn you, if he's a Phillies fan...DO NOT GET SATELLITE! You will get almost NO Phillies games. The only way you can see them on the MLB package is from the opposing team's broadcast, which is almost always blacked out in our area because Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia has the rights to broadcast the Phillies here. And CSN-Philly is not available on Directv. I made the mistake of switching to Directv a few years ago with that same plan, and was shocked to find that almost all Phils games were blacked out....even the ones on ESPN. And I was stuck with Directv for a while after signing a contract. The only Phils games I got were the games broadcast locally on weekends on WSWB. So, last year I switched back to cable and have CSN again and all my Phils games.

You'll just want to make sure that Blue Ridge cable carries Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia. I have Comcast cable in Scranton and we have it. My guess is that Blue Ridge probably carries it. Most cable companies here do have it. If you get Directv, your "local" sports networks will only be the NY channels (YES, MSG, etc), while on Comcast cable I have CSN, YES, and well as Fox Sports Pittsburgh.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:48 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
I checked Blue Ridge's website and it appears that they do have Comcast Sportsnet, since CSN is listed as one of their available HD channels. So it looks like your only choice for Phils games will be Blue Ridge.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:51 PM

102 posts, read 325,988 times
Hey Conorsdad,

Thanks so much for the info. Now if we can just get some pitching - and a 3rd baseman - we'll be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania