Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 36,398 times

Advertisements

Hi there ;

any information on Effort, PA (Monroe County) schools, daycare, etc.

Please help me find a place to live. We are relocating from MI and have two small children. Husband will be working in Allentown, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:59 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Oliviam.........I think you also asked about Kunkletown.
Effort is ok in the lower areas. I would never myself head up the route 115 mountain for locations up there. It is too windy, foggy, and gets an abundance of snow.
I personally don't like a lot of the areas up that way. Some of the Effort land however is in the lower plains, bordering Brodheadsville and its great. I also am not in favor of communities as these have just gone downhill, and resale is not grand in them.
Somewhat, but not as much as a home that is out of that type of community.
Effort people use the same stores I mentioned, and the same library.........It is not all that far from Kunkletown, just in a different direction.
You'd want to be in the Pleasant Valley Schools and or the Polk Township schools.
Effort really does not have a town. There is not a town like feeling there.
I must add that the other places mentioned are really not a town either but known as a village...........
You will find most of what you need along 209, and the lower portions of 115.
The schools are there, the library, the grocery stores, and pharmacy's, fast foods.
That area with the stores is in Brodheadsville.
What is nice with Brodheadsville is that you get nice large acrage , there is not small lots here.
We do a lot of our main shopping in Stroudsburg or Easton, or Wilkes Barre, Scranton, even Dickson City. Sometimes also, we go into Phillipsburg, NJ for the stores and Malls there.
Dancing schools, etc. are located in the Brodheadsville area.
I'd say to be close to 33, Saylorsburg /Sciota is good.( 33 ro 22 into Allentown)
If he'd rather take the route through Palmerton, and out to Whitehall and Allentown then Kunkletown or past that is even good. More of a back route, timewise it might be longer then taking the highways, I am not sure.
I did see a child care in one of the strip malls of Effort, although I didn't like that it had a sparce play area. The childcare out on old 115 by Saylorburg has an outside yard that is just terrific. I think the bus also stops there for the kids.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
One thing you may also want to keep in mind is that places such as "Effort", "Brodheadsville", "Saylorsburg", "Reeders", "Kunkletown", "Gilbert", etc. don't really exist as incorporated places. These are postal addresses for these rural townships. I know MI has townships, and PA has them too.

The townships you're asking about are Eldred, Ross, Polk, and Chestnuthill, in the southern part of the county. I'm pretty sure these are the four townships in Monroe County that comprise the Plesant Valley School District. There are currently about 30,000 people residing in that school district, and that is expected to grow to 36,000 in 2010 and 44,000 in 2020.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 36,398 times
I am sorry for all the questions. We honestly, and truly don't know where to go. I am looking at maps and typing in towns as I go and just as I come across something I like, there goes a negative post.

We need a to find a home that is a decent commute from Allentown, with good schools and a daycare. Please help???????????????????

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 PM

What else do you want to know Oliviam..........
Ok the schools are good, the day care we have mentioned. Could I look up additional day care so you have a few for you?
It is not all that far from Allentown, I know many a nurse or worker who travels that way from here. To be close to route 33, which is the main highway there. Try to look into Saylorsburg, Sciota, around there. There are some nice home developments there.
We probably don't have more crime then anywhere else. Lately, crime is just all over and not just in the Poconos, or in Pa. That being said, our area is good........comfortable and will get your hubby to work in a good timeframe.
Give specific questions and then we can zero in a bit better for you.
Daycare is fine..........the one on 115 is just a wonderful looking place.
I hope you get to come and see the area so you get the feel of what your preference is. It is always a matter of a persons taste as to what they want.
You could try Nazareth to be closer to Allentown, those schools are good.
And then the commute would be very short for your husband.
Then again, the homes are higher most likely, and you'll get a bit less for your money.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM

26 posts, read 93,389 times
Used to be nice. Don't exist any more.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,981 times
The biggest difference between Effort/Brodheadsville and Kunkletown area is real estate taxes. Effort Brodheadsville is in Chestnuthill Township - the highest. Kunkletown is in Ross Township - the lowest. I have lived in Effort. If you decide there, stay at the bottom of the mountain, staying away from SunValley, and in my view (weather wise) stay away from Sierra View and Indian Mt. Lakes. It's "another world" up there.
Wind Gap is also a very nice little town, with good schools, an easy commute to Allentown, just a thought for your research.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:11 PM

169 posts, read 661,356 times
I lived on top of Effort Mountain for 5 years, it is still Effort, but they have Blakeslee addresses up there. I would suggest that you stay away from there the weather is simply horrible. Snow, Wind, Fog, terrible. If your husband will be commuting to Allentown I would suggest Saylorsburg and Brodheadsville. Saylorsburg is right near route 33 which will take him to work. My husband made the commute to Bethlehem for 5 years from the poconos and the winters were horrible and a 38 mile trip would sometimes turn into 2 hours one way.

We relocated to Bethlehem around 6 years ago and couldnt be happier.

I agree with the above poster Upper Sierra View and Indian Mountain Lake is like living in a totally different world. I wish someone would have told me that before I moved there.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
The biggest difference between Effort/Brodheadsville and Kunkletown area is real estate taxes. Effort Brodheadsville is in Chestnuthill Township - the highest. Kunkletown is in Ross Township - the lowest. I have lived in Effort. If you decide there, stay at the bottom of the mountain, staying away from SunValley, and in my view (weather wise) stay away from Sierra View and Indian Mt. Lakes. It's "another world" up there.
Wind Gap is also a very nice little town, with good schools, an easy commute to Allentown, just a thought for your research.
I agree with you Poconoproud.........and I keep forgetting to say Wind Gap.
I think it would be great if the thread poster would check out that area.
Its closer to their work and close to stores and the like.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine92 View Post
I lived on top of Effort Mountain for 5 years, it is still Effort, but they have Blakeslee addresses up there. I would suggest that you stay away from there the weather is simply horrible. Snow, Wind, Fog, terrible. If your husband will be commuting to Allentown I would suggest Saylorsburg and Brodheadsville. Saylorsburg is right near route 33 which will take him to work. My husband made the commute to Bethlehem for 5 years from the poconos and the winters were horrible and a 38 mile trip would sometimes turn into 2 hours one way.

We relocated to Bethlehem around 6 years ago and couldnt be happier.

I agree with the above poster Upper Sierra View and Indian Mountain Lake is like living in a totally different world. I wish someone would have told me that before I moved there.
Yes, I have heard this on here a few times which is why I wanted the poster to know that...........thanks for being through about the difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania