Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 10:40 AM

18 posts, read 40,287 times

Advertisements

Here's my thoughts on this route:

The route 17 bus goes from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton using the "back way" (PA-315 and US 11) to get there. It takes about an hour to complete the trip in good traffic. I rode it at off-peak (non-rush hour) times. It wasn't a bad ride, but it was a long one. It reminded me of when I used to go to college in Teaneck, NJ (I got to Penn State Main campus now) and rode the NJ Transit 168 bus to NYC. That trip also took an hour and used "back ways" (local roads, no highways except a few minutes on US 46 and NJ-495). Riding the 17 gave me a feeling of deja vu to my NJ days. Unlike the 168, the 17 has a pretty bad schedule, but then again all LCTA buses stop running around 6 or 7 PM on weekdays (about 4 PM on Saturdays with no service on Sundays). The 17 only runs about 4 times in either direction (with a recent express run to Scranton at 6:30 AM added). Depending on your schedule, the 17's schedule may work for you (it did for me because I did a day trip), but for others it may not. Martz also runs W-B to Scranton service, with the last bus going to Scranton leaving at 6:05 PM (9 PM on Sundays) and the last one going to W-B being at 9 PM. Martz is more expensive though, $8 one-way ticket vs LCTA's $1.50 fare.

A little info about myself: I was born and raised, and still live in, NEPA and left from Shavertown (a town in the Back Mtn.) using LCTA's route 6 bus (which took about 25 minutes to get to W-B). If I worked in Scranton, I would have a 90+ minute commute each way (I don't drive, but I have family who do). I'm in my Senior year of college and I work part-time during the school year in my college's dining hall. I decided to take the summer off.

Overall, it's nice to have a public transit option to get from W-B to Scranton, but it's limited schedule and long ride makes the 17 far from perfect. Those looking to use a bus to commute to Scranton from W-B and its suburbs could use this route, but may have to take Martz at times. Day trippers should be fine, unless you plan on leaving after 4 PM (or 2:55 on Saturdays; the last 17 runs), then you'll need Martz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:37 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,686 times
I grew up outside Paterson NJ, and there were lots of bus lines back then in the 50's & 60's. My mom didn't drove so we took buses all over. There are a lot fewer lines today, as most people drive. I'm a strong transit advocate and feel we need a lot better public transportation so more people can lead a car-free lifestyle which would be greener for the planet. Many millennials (young generation) feel the same way and there are some cities now with light rail (such as Portland OR) which have done this only in the past few decades. Then there have always been the big cities like NYC, San Fran, Boston etc., where you can get around easily without a car, I've lived in all three.
Here in W-B, there was once a lot more public transit, in fact it was electrified at one time, first with streetcars, then with trolleybuses which lasted until 1958. Too many automobiles did them in and they went bankrupt. Today, as is the case here and in other smaller cities, it seems that the bus service we do have is just bare essentials for the very poor, handicapped and elderly who aren't really in a hurry to get anywhere. Plus due to the mall and strip malls, it has become too spread out to serve well or in a timely manner than when things were more concentrated downtown decades ago. For example I couldn't get to Lowes for work to meet any kind of reasonable schedule, I'd have to take 2 buses and waste a lot of time, plus the service is too infrequent stops early in the evening, as you say, and no service on Sundays. When I lived in Asheville NC it was the same way, service was generally once every hour or 1 1/2 hours and daytime only.
It would certainly be nice to go car-free, maybe in time demand for public transit will pick up, and there will be the need for a lot of restructuring of the schedules so it can actually serve people who want to use it to commute and shop. We even had the old Laurel Line here once (up until 1952) with fast electric trains from W-B to Scranton downtowns and it only took about 40 minutes including all the stops. It's all dependent on the demand, though, and right now it's a car-based lifestyle, unfortunately.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,264 times
Anyone with any business sense knows it takes 5 years to see a business plan come to fruition. I recently applied to a job that required no travel once you were on site for the work day meaning a car was not used all day and was not a tool for the workday. I told the employer I was using the city bus - which is more reliable than most privately owned cars (or... should be more reliable than most privately owned vehicles) . That employer did not hire me because I did not have "reliable transportation" to get to work. The bus system map seldom (if at all) has "connector " sites, you must return to the "hub" to get another bus to the new location. I am actually hard pressed to think of a route that drops you where you can transfer in a completely new direction. This system needs to be revamped as it is a different world today than days past. Society is quite used to utilizing the public transportation as a doable mode of travel. All of the complaints I have heard are valid. My point was that LCTA may be sluggish in upstarting a "mass transit" but an entity must give a little to get a little in revenue. The investment in planning and ultimately initiating a more current bus system would make the local work force a little stronger in the long run, which is the chief complaint of the tax collection processes and the demographic groups that site transportation as a down fall to their gainful employment, therefore rely mainly on social services for their needs. This is the epicenter of finance but the best planning will require a wait before seeing the benefits as the faith in the transportation system is amiss. If your interest is in developing the workforce you probably don't want employers stating, "no car.. no work" - in fact the bus system should be an endorsement due to the reliability and convenience. JUST SAYIN'

Old 01-29-2016, 05:29 PM

134 posts, read 292,652 times
The bus system out here was mainly developed for elderly riders who maybe have 1 or 2 places to be during the week. It is an automobile dependent region, hands down. A LARGE portion of the non driving population lives in walking distance to their job, and hence, gives the cities that certain poverty feel. I worked administration at a wrehouse and we were very aware of this fact. We were able to pay about 4 dollars less an hour then our other divisions because we havw such a large walking population and we were one of the only full time employers in that section of the valley(where else were they gonna go?).

In NEPA, if you work , you drive(the same is true of most regions in the US). I live alone and I own 2 cars, simply because a vehicle in this area is "Mission critical" If you don't have it, your life is as good as done.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:54 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra P View Post
Anyone with any business sense knows it takes 5 years to see a business plan come to fruition. I recently applied to a job that required no travel once you were on site for the work day meaning a car was not used all day and was not a tool for the workday. I told the employer I was using the city bus - which is more reliable than most privately owned cars (or... should be more reliable than most privately owned vehicles) . That employer did not hire me because I did not have "reliable transportation" to get to work. The bus system map seldom (if at all) has "connector " sites, you must return to the "hub" to get another bus to the new location. I am actually hard pressed to think of a route that drops you where you can transfer in a completely new direction. This system needs to be revamped as it is a different world today than days past. Society is quite used to utilizing the public transportation as a doable mode of travel. All of the complaints I have heard are valid. My point was that LCTA may be sluggish in upstarting a "mass transit" but an entity must give a little to get a little in revenue. The investment in planning and ultimately initiating a more current bus system would make the local work force a little stronger in the long run, which is the chief complaint of the tax collection processes and the demographic groups that site transportation as a down fall to their gainful employment, therefore rely mainly on social services for their needs. This is the epicenter of finance but the best planning will require a wait before seeing the benefits as the faith in the transportation system is amiss. If your interest is in developing the workforce you probably don't want employers stating, "no car.. no work" - in fact the bus system should be an endorsement due to the reliability and convenience. JUST SAYIN'
Debra,
Hi, and welcome...
A question, did you post this from your 'phone?

It is just one big block of words...my eyes are bleeding here, the content is spot on and interesting, but it is very difficult to read.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:34 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
The bus system out here was mainly developed for elderly riders who maybe have 1 or 2 places to be during the week. It is an automobile dependent region, hands down. A LARGE portion of the non driving population lives in walking distance to their job, and hence, gives the cities that certain poverty feel. I worked administration at a wrehouse and we were very aware of this fact. We were able to pay about 4 dollars less an hour then our other divisions because we havw such a large walking population and we were one of the only full time employers in that section of the valley(where else were they gonna go?).

In NEPA, if you work , you drive(the same is true of most regions in the US). I live alone and I own 2 cars, simply because a vehicle in this area is "Mission critical" If you don't have it, your life is as good as done.
No. The buses used to run until 10PM. When I was in high school, I worked at the mall and could take the bus home when the store closed at 9.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:40 PM

134 posts, read 292,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No. The buses used to run until 10PM. When I was in high school, I worked at the mall and could take the bus home when the store closed at 9.
Wow. Time frame?

Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconan View Post
Wow. Time frame?
The 1970s. Maybe into the '80s

Old 02-02-2016, 12:06 AM

Duplicate. Again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania