Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Good, let him give away his position.
Does it make any difference if they do know where he is? Remember; they have been within 75 yards of him in the past.

I know that our police put their lives on the line everyday. But, since Frein, it seems like there are more police shootings. Of course this year there seem to be a rash of police shootings. I just worry that Frein has exposed vulnerabilities and that we could have copycats. This manhunt has reached the stage where, even if they do get him, it might be too late to restore confidence. The public has been sold on special training and technology and, now, we see that all of this still has problems.

This mess brings up one of my experiences back in the early 1970's. Our County had just spent $100,000 for a new crime scene van. That was a fortune back then; like a million today. I had commercial rental properties and one of my tenants had a break-in. It was a guitar shop that sold guitars and gave lessons - 13 guitars were stolen. I was called because there was some damage to the building. After our police left the scene; I did some of my own investigating. On an adjacent road I found tire tracks, a crowbar, and guitar price tags. So I called our police. They came back with the fancy new crime scene van. I showed them the location of the evidence and the officer picked up the crowbar and asked me if I wanted it! Here I was expecting fingerprints, tire castings and evidence sent off to the lab! Unfortunately our technology is only as good as the people/officers using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM

55 posts, read 122,641 times
Default frein/shame

STOP THE B.S. If he is here get him, otherwise inform the public that you have no clue and lets all move on too finding JFK killer, DB cooper, Elvis and everyone else that there have been sightings of

Old 10-29-2014, 09:17 AM

22 posts, read 42,137 times
Golf clap...

Old 10-29-2014, 04:16 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times

Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 PM

I see they are retiring the balloon after a quick trial: Search Balloon A Bust | WNEP.com. I did not think that it would work very good with all of our trees. Ohio has lots of open fields. Strong winds could easily damage their balloon.

Now, with the leaves off many of our trees, helicopters would be more effective. But many are starting to question the cost of the manhunt. I don't think our police will keep up the manpower levels over time - they have to start cutting back.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:38 PM

300 posts, read 441,325 times
It seems like if that balloon had infrared it wouldn't have mattered how much foliage there was.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
It seems like if that balloon had infrared it wouldn't have mattered how much foliage there was.
That is what we thought with the high tech helicopters and our Troopers with special night vision goggles and binoculars. Apparently all of our tech does not really work that great, Frein is really that good, or he quickly moved out of the area? Now we do have fewer leaves and it is possible that maybe the tech will work better?

The problem with the balloon was that it's tethered. If the wind picks up; the same thing can happen to it as most of us experienced when we tried to fly kites in our childhood - it gets hung up in trees. Mt feeling is that, with the high cost of the manhunt, that we are just afraid that we would loose/damage Ohio's balloon.

I still think that our best chance of getting new leads on his whereabouts is to open up hunting season. I know that many things can go wrong. But hunters are 'free' eyes in our woods and some are great trackers. Eric was a hunter himself and, as far as we know, has no grudge with other hunters. Of course, being desperate, could change that.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is what we thought with the high tech helicopters and our Troopers with special night vision goggles and binoculars. Apparently all of our tech does not really work that great, Frein is really that good, or he quickly moved out of the area? Now we do have fewer leaves and it is possible that maybe the tech will work better?

The problem with the balloon was that it's tethered. If the wind picks up; the same thing can happen to it as most of us experienced when we tried to fly kites in our childhood - it gets hung up in trees. Mt feeling is that, with the high cost of the manhunt, that we are just afraid that we would loose/damage Ohio's balloon.

I still think that our best chance of getting new leads on his whereabouts is to open up hunting season. I know that many things can go wrong. But hunters are 'free' eyes in our woods and some are great trackers. Eric was a hunter himself and, as far as we know, has no grudge with other hunters. Of course, being desperate, could change that.
Hubby and I knew the balloon was a bad idea from the first time we heard mention of it. Btw good morning!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Hubby and I knew the balloon was a bad idea from the first time we heard mention of it. Btw good morning!
Btw good morning to you! Apparently our Troopers never tried flying a kite when they were young?

I'm surprised that our manhunt has not hired the group from 'Bar Rescue'? They move into the area and set cameras up all over so we are under 24/7 surveillance. They could quickly find Frein and also who has been stealing donuts form the local donut shops!

Actually; our hunters would have done the same thing as Bar Rescue, for free, with their trail cameras.

Hope your having a great day! Enjoy the little bit of foliage while it still last. Pretty shortly we will be able to spot Frein a mile away!

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 PM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Got him!
Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania