Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
LeighValleyNative,

Since you are so passionate out this cause, maybe you can adovacate Section 8 housing in where you live. BTW, who regulates them as far as drug dealing etc. If most are drug dealing avenues as yo
So you want to keep them out because they are poor and you don't see a problem with that? It isn't any different if you wanted to keep them out because they are <insert a minority>.
I never said I was "passionate" about the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
It sounds to me like some people don't want to live near the poor. I personally have met some good friends here in Pa and many have been on some form of assistance including Section 8 housing.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
It sounds to me like some people don't want to live near the poor. I personally have met some good friends here in Pa and many have been on some form of assistance including Section 8 housing.
Orrrrr It could be that someone bought a home invested a fair amount of money into their investment and don't want to see it devalued. This is the reality of having section 8 move into your area or next door to your home. Its nothing against the poor in general. The reality is that unfortunately section 8 carries with it many whose morals are questionable. Its no secret that in Wilkes-barre a high percent of their crime is in their low income sections. Yes the section 8's and the lowincome developments.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM

34 posts, read 46,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
HopBottom..the Bronx section of Jackson Street? You mean they are selling $750,000 condos, renting $2,000 loft apts, and revitalizing the entire district? Please provide more details about the area....if it is really the Bronx of the area...it is a place I would like to keep an eye on. Thanks for the info.
It's the long time residents of Jackson Street who refer to the 300 block as the "Bronx Section." It has to do with demographics and the proliferation of duplexes gone section 8. No $750,000 condos to be had there.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:10 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Orrrrr It could be that someone bought a home invested a fair amount of money into their investment and don't want to see it devalued. This is the reality of having section 8 move into your area or next door to your home. Its nothing against the poor in general. The reality is that unfortunately section 8 carries with it many whose morals are questionable. Its no secret that in Wilkes-barre a high percent of their crime is in their low income sections. Yes the section 8's and the lowincome developments.
It odesn't sound to me like some are concerned with them living next door, it sound like they are concerned with them living in the same town. I agree.. I wouldn't want a Section 8 housing development right in my backyard either. I understand the concerns that you present here.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:20 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:

Yes, tinman, exactly. I have seen Section 8 that is exclusively for Senior Housing and there seems to be very little problem. The problems come when there are children and there are no parents to supervise. You can be poor and still have PRIDE with how you live. Just because you are poor you can still value what you own. This rarely happens. Personally, I have nothing against the poor, however the issues come in when it starts to bring down the property values near you.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
So you want to keep them out because they are poor and you don't see a problem with that? It isn't any different if you wanted to keep them out because they are <insert a minority>.
I never said I was "passionate" about the cause.
It has nothing to do with "being" poor. It has to do with the crime, drug dealing and devaluing property. I never said anything about minority, but YOU did. Your the advocate so maybe you should get involved for the cause and invite subsidized housing into your neighborhood.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 AM

Oh, and by the way, my grandparents lived in the South Bronx years ago. Learned the language, worked 15 hours a day. They were poor people, did not receive any handouts, section 8 or anything else. The one thing they had was pride in what they owned. They instilled great values in their children and didn't use the excuse of "being poor" to cause problems in Society.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:39 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,543 times
Quote:
My parents went through this many times renting to families on housing. My mother, who is soft-hearted, would listen to the sob story and allow them to move into a newly-remodeled trailer. After about six months the place was trashed, windows broken, appliances not working, cars going up and down the driveway at all hours of the day and night, no oil in the tank. Then try to evict them - landlords have to follow the letter of the law to try to get the scumbags out, while they continue to damage the property out of spite. Thankfully, my mother finally had enough and stopping accepting housing. It's sad, and I know there are many families who are decent and just need some help, but somehow they were only attracting the losers. I guess since they aren't paying the rent or mortgage, they have no pride in how it looks.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentown View Post
My parents went through this many times renting to families on housing. My mother, who is soft-hearted, would listen to the sob story and allow them to move into a newly-remodeled trailer. After about six months the place was trashed, windows broken, appliances not working, cars going up and down the driveway at all hours of the day and night, no oil in the tank. Then try to evict them - landlords have to follow the letter of the law to try to get the scumbags out, while they continue to damage the property out of spite. Thankfully, my mother finally had enough and stopping accepting housing. It's sad, and I know there are many families who are decent and just need some help, but somehow they were only attracting the losers. I guess since they aren't paying the rent or mortgage, they have no pride in how it looks.

Greentown, I agree with your post and have seen this so many times. There are some families who really need the help and are decent but they are few and far between. And, I agree their attitude is "rent" and have no pride where they live, but the sad part is that they have no pride in themselves.

The Hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania