Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 01:22 PM

36 posts, read 40,480 times

Advertisements

So, I am a vet tech and I pet sit for people in my area on the side. I was speaking to a woman earlier this week and she told me, she was interested in my pet sitting for her. The woman wanted me to watch her beagle mix since she is going away somewhere. I told her that I was fine with that I would just need verification for vaccines and money up front for the time she would be gone. She was not happy about the money. She was like "what if I come back early?" I told her she can pay me for the time she knows she's going to be gone and if she is gone longer to pay me the rest when she got back. She seemed upset that she had to pay before she left.

I'm only charging $15 a day for the dog to stay with me and that included him getting a bath and a nail trim. I was very nice and explain the reason for this is its easier for everyone. I don't have to worry about getting paid when you get back and you don't have to worry about paying me after you get home. You get pet dropped off when you get home. I thought it was fair enough. So, then its, "well can I give you half now and half later when I get back home?"

I told her, sure. I figure she probably really needs a pet sitter and she has limited time. I told my friend and she was upset with me. She pet sits too. She says I'm too nice to people and the lady is going to not pay me for the other half. I told her, if the woman doesn't, I won't pet sit for her again.

Am I really being too nice? I know how it is when you need someone to cut you a break. You know stuff happens and you're in a bind and youjust need a break, even if its a small one. I don't mind having the dog with me, but I figured if she saw that I was willing to work with her, she would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:13 PM

709 posts, read 955,775 times
Get the cash upfront

Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,898 times
If you are going to be operating this small side business, you need to toughen up. I was also pet sitting in Pa a few years back and I got ripped off a few times. Then I got smart.
Now I am a dog salon manager and I seldom give a break. It has to be a good customer that I know well and is sincerely having trouble. Many people expect everything for nothing.
I would refuse to return her dog unless she pays up first. I hope you have a binding contract that people sign.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:37 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,391,423 times
No kennel out there would take your dog without payment in advance. Why should you?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
No kennel out there would take your dog without payment in advance. Why should you?

Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,675 times
I have thought about your question because I have been a pet sitter and because I know the area you are talking about.

I actually think I would be taken aback if someone asked me to pay in full for a future service. I would expect to sign a contract that stated in detail what was being offered and what it would cost me and pay half upfront and the other half
upon completion of the service. This is pretty standard for services in general. I understand that this arrangement requires a leap of faith for both parties - you run the possibility of not being paid in full but your client also is entrusting you with her dog and access to her home. It works both ways. You certainly don't want to have to chase after her to get your full fee but she equally would not want to have to chase you down if something was amiss upon her return. Meeting her in the middle is a good way to foster good customer relations. I assume you are building a business and want to have repeat customers and customers that give you a good recommendation. Setting up a precedent from the first with a contract protects you and your clients.

As for kennels, I have always paid when I picked my dogs up - never beforehand.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-18-2014 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 AM

I understand, that why I said I give her the benefit of the doubt. I have come to realize that there are people who just need a break. We all have come down that line when we need a break. But I have been fooled before by this same agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I have thought about your question because I have been a pet sitter and because I know the area you are talking about.

I actually think I would be taken aback if someone asked me to pay in full for a future service. I would expect to sign a contract that stated in detail what was being offered and what it would cost me and pay half upfront and the other half
upon completion of the service. This is pretty standard for services in general. I understand that this arrangement requires a leap of faith for both parties - you run the possibility of not being paid in full but your client also is entrusting you with her dog and access to her home. It works both ways. You certainly don't want to have to chase after her to get your full fee but she equally would not want to have to chase you down if something was amiss upon her return. Meeting her in the middle is a good way to foster good customer relations. I assume you are building a business and want to have repeat customers and customers that give you a good recommendation. Setting up a precedent from the first with a contract protects you and your clients.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-18-2014 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 06:53 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post

I am a Certified Vet Tech/Pet Sitter as well and I agree with this. I understand what the OP is saying but the OP has the dog. When you come to pick up your dog, you need to pay in full. I've never had a problem with any of my clients. The only time I ask for half down is on holidays when I get booked. Once you build up your clientele, you will learn to trust them. I don't want to see the OP get burned but I also understand what the client is saying on their side. Write up a contract agreeing to the terms and have them sign it.

I've worked in plenty of animal hospitals which had boarding and you pay when you pick up. I've never heard of paying when you drop off.

To the OP, how did you get fooled if you have the dog at your house? The rule is that you need to bring payment in full when you come to pick up your dog. It's not about cutting someone a break either. Your rule is half down when they drop off and payment in full when they pick up, that's it. Stick to your rule and you should be fine

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-18-2014 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania