Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:47 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times

Advertisements

I was always taught that the Wyoming Valley is in Luzerne County and Starts at Pittston and ends at Nanticoke. It includes Wilkes-Barre as it's major/focal city center and is bisected by the Susquehanna River.

Some posters say it includes from Moosic to Carbondale(including Scranton City)...I was taught that this is the Lackawanna River Valley..Dominated by Scranton, and including the Lackawanna River; which joins the Susquehanna River at Pittston.

The geography of Pittston is an escarpment(think Campbell's Ledge) and is geographically seperate from the Lackawanna Valley, as far as topography is concerned.

I say "The Valley" meaning the Wyoming Valley...I have seldom heard the Lackawanna Valley term used back home or in literature....but since the river forms a "valley"...LOL....

Anyway my net research does indirectly claim the Wyoming Valley includes Scranton; I say they are wrong and so is some of the net info on a free encyclopedia..... What do you think? Define the Wyoming Valley as you understand it....maybe we can fix some errors on "both sides" of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
I would agree with you. The Wyoming Valley extends from Pittston to Nanticoke and the Lackawanna or Mid-Valley extends from Carbondale to Moosic. Since I lived here, that's how I always heard it referred to.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,835 times
It's all one long valley to anyone who's ever looked out their window while driving down it. Two rivers, but still one valley.

Or, take the satellite image, one long valley again: Google Maps

We need some term to define this entire valley, so I'm sticking with wikipedia and calling the whole thing the Wyoming Valley!
Wyoming Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I would agree with you. The Wyoming Valley extends from Pittston to Nanticoke and the Lackawanna or Mid-Valley extends from Carbondale to Moosic. Since I lived here, that's how I always heard it referred to.
ME TOO...but I forgot the term Mid-Valley..I lived there 25 years and than State College...so I visited very often...now I visit every other year at best.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
It's all one long valley to anyone who's ever looked out their window while driving down it. Two rivers, but still one valley.

Or, take the satellite image, one long valley again: Google Maps

We need some term to define this entire valley, so I'm sticking with wikipedia and calling the whole thing the Wyoming Valley!
Wyoming Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I already read that and IMHO..IT is wrong...that is why I started the thread to "hash it out". How long have you lived there? Maybe terminology changed? But from 1957 till 1982 the Wyoming Valley is what NYRangers and myself and Margritte25 have stated. Where are us...LOL...old-timers...LOL.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:44 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,835 times
Oh, I'm a newb. But just look at it! It is one big valley going from C'dale to Nanticoke.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Oh, I'm a newb. But just look at it! It is one big valley going from C'dale to Nanticoke.
I don't mean your young or anything......I mean people near my age will agree with me. I majored in Geography.....I know the valleys are really one big city...I am always thumping on about consolidation...I agree with your Valley theory; however it is NOT what has historically been taught. Also isn't the Wyoming Valley named for the town of Wyoming's massacre as Fort Pittston(battle) became Pittston??? Please don't think I am so closed minded; especially about age...that was not what I meant.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I already read that and IMHO..IT is wrong...that is why I started the thread to "hash it out". How long have you lived there? Maybe terminology changed? But from 1957 till 1982 the Wyoming Valley is what NYRangers and myself and Margritte25 have stated. Where are us...LOL...old-timers...LOL.
I have never heard of the Scranton, Moosic, Carbondale being included as part of the Wyoming Valley and I'm close to being an old timer.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:23 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
And I didn't grow up in this area. I have never heard of Scranton or the area immediately northeast, ever referred to as being part of the Wyoming Valley. I always thought the Wilkes-Barre, Pittson and Nanticoke areas as the the Wyoming Valley, hence the name of the mall.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
I have never heard of the Scranton, Moosic, Carbondale being included as part of the Wyoming Valley and I'm close to being an old timer.
I agree...that was how I understood it....maybe the census or some other entity has changed the terminology?? NYRangers mentioned The Wyoming Valley Mall(Wilkes-Barre); I just remembered a school district...the west side /across the river from Wilkes-Barre; Isn't the name...Wyoming Valley West????

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-21-2009 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania