Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That I need to check...Exeter is south of West Pittston; so that is why I said the northern most section is there. I never heard of Exeter, norty of West Pittston..I thought Falls was next..I could be wrong..It's been awhile since I visited..I'll check my maps.
Well it isn't much, if your going up Wyoming Avenue when you get to the "Welcome to West Pittston" sign at the Y after Turkey Hill if you went left at the Y onto Tunkhannock Ave. everything on the left is Exeter and everything on the right is West Pittston. That meets up with Exteter Ave./Rt.92 just above Blue Ribbon as Paul described. I believe that is where West Pittston terminates and everything after that is Exeter on both the left and right sides as you continue up 92 from there. I believe Exeter ends where the Coxton RR bridge is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
My father grew up in the small part of Exeter near the river that is just up from Blue Ribbon. My sister and brother-in-law currently live in this general neighborhood of Exeter now. Within about a block or so of passing Blue Ribbon Dairy you cross into Exeter for about a mile before hitting Exeter Twp. (Harding).
I understand now...Harding and Upper Exeter...I never remembered that at all,now I see Falls, Pa is further North still....I was thinkinf Falling Springs was at the town of Falls...MY mistake.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well it isn't much, if your going up Wyoming Avenue when you get to the "Welcome to West Pittston" sign at the Y after Turkey Hill if you went left at the Y onto Tunkhannock Ave. everything on the left is Exeter and everything on the right is West Pittston. That meets up with Exteter Ave./Rt.92 just above Blue Ribbon as Paul described. I believe that is where West Pittston terminates and everything after that is Exeter on both the left and right sides as you continue up 92 from there. I believe Exeter ends where the Coxton RR bridge is.
I looked on the map...you and Scran are correct...I totally forgot and I forgot about Upper Exeter also. I also balled up the town of Falls with Falling Springs Waterfall...near the Coxton Bridge(over the Lackawanna river) and old Coxton Yards.

We would sit on the escarpment at the top of the waterfall....great view. Sorry, I did not remember correctly....but The thread was meant to find out if the parameters of the Wyoming Valley were changed or updated.

Like blip says....wikipedia states that the Wyoming Valley INCLUDES Scranton???? Maybe someone with computer savy could fix it for posterity and historic sake. Again, sorry for forgetting about Upper Exeter.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Like blip says....wikipedia states that the Wyoming Valley INCLUDES Scranton???? Maybe someone with computer savy could fix it for posterity and historic sake. Again, sorry for forgetting about Upper Exeter.
Since wikipedia can be changed by anyone it's one reason not to use it as your only source. It's a good resource but what I find better is the cited resources you can find listed at the bottom of most articles. I once changed some information on the anthracite article that someone else promptly changed back. Being I've been in the industry for almost 20 years and my family has been in it since 1920 I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about. I have no interest in changing anything else since, a lot of editors run that like their only little fiefdom.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
i search for indian artifacts in northeastern Pennsylvania and live in Wilkes-Barre. From a pre historical(everything before 1600 a.d. standpoint everything between shickshinny to forest city(and outside the valley(s) was inhabited by a people we call the "Wyoming Valley Complex". It may not be all one valley but even prehistoric man saw the area between shickshinny and forest city was made secluded by the surrounding mountains .

I agree it is not one traditional valley but you can not deny the whole area is pinched between two mountain ranges and creates a valley between them.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:58 PM

267 posts, read 765,951 times
This is from the Scranton Times...

Has Moosic, Old Forge as "Down Valley"
Scranton and Lackawanna County | My Town - The Times-Tribune

Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,277,426 times
I have always thought of the Wyoming Valley as Wilkes- Barre and its suburbs. that is the popular opinion in NEPA anyway.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Being from Scranton, nobody up this way considers anything in Lackawanna County to be the Wyoming Valley. I'd say Pittston is about the northernmost point of the Wyoming Valley.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times
I agree its 2 valleys but even prehistoric man saw it as one big "complex" and defense (not so good as it turns out) against there enemys.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 576 times
My family lived in Wyoming Valley since the mid-1800s. Wyoming Valley was always considered from Pittston to Nanticoke. Scranton was never considered part of Wyoming Valley. In addition to being a separate valley (Lackawanna Valley), it was also an economic and social division. The mine workers and mid-management lived in Wyoming Valley. The owners of the mines lived in Scranton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania