Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:14 PM

25 posts, read 51,501 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted on here in a while, been busy with work and school. This June, I'll living here in PCP for 2 years. I love everything about this place except the school taxes. The people here are VERY friendly! My Fiance and I have made many friends in here and it's a very nice place to live. I've read a lot on the internet and on this forum when I first bought my house and I was scared! I thought I made a big mistake. I was wrong! This is a very nice place to live. It's quiet, very peaceful. People walk up and down the block with their dogs and/or their kids and everyone always says hello to each other. We're very good friends with our neighbors. We have BBQ's in the summer time in our backyard over looking the gamelands and you can hear a pin drop, it's so quiet here. It's a very nice place to live. The problem is, people look at what happened in the past, people that don't even live here anymore and people that never did live here, and they pass judgement because god forbid things change! I live here now. It's not a vacation home, it's my full time home and for anyone that cares to listen, PCP is nothing and I mean nothing like what these people are saying. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is not an all white community. It's very diverse here and because of that, people automatically stereo type and judge the neighborhood and it's not fair. I think it's very rude and immature for people to bash someone else's home based on past happenings and they don't even live here. It's not fair! I'm from Long Island, NY (Lindenhurst) and there's drugs and violence there too. It's everywhere! But that doesn't mean it's a bad place to live. Just like here. There's violence, drugs and the occasional teenager speeding up the road with his radio on but that DOESN'T mean it's bad here. Wake up people.........SERIOUSLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:37 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugashane View Post
Your right, my apologies lol I wrote that last one very tired.My reference to the road was 611, not 209 and I meant to write bartonsville, not brodheadsville.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:47 AM

472 posts, read 779,200 times
Go gettem LinnieLee33 I told you don't believe everything you read on here. I am so glad you listened. God Bless

Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
[quote=Sarge621;38902041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
APCP is what it is...There is many good things about it. First you have to understand the area and the local news..First off if your arrested for peeing on a tree your gonna be in the newspaper,,this isn't the city...
Every single drug thing makes the news...The drama in a ruralish area doesn't get lost in a hail storm like a city has.

I do not know this to be true but I was told by a APCP resident about a year ago that someone big in the Pocono Record has had it in for the APCP Community. Something about bad real estate dealings and problems with the board led to a very vindictive campaign against the community. I am not a daily reader of the paper but I did pick up on something.
I have said this before on other threads: As a community you have to work at changing your image. Fortunately; now might be the time. Perhaps the other resident was right about the Pocono Record and a grudge? But the Pocono Record, as a newspaper/new source, is almost dead. Looking at what they offer now and how many classified adds they have; how long do you think they have left? Plus they don't even have local news anymore - it is more boot stepping with the national media (just political BS).

Of course that leads to the question of where should we turn for news of the area? I see that Channel 69 has stepped up it's coverage. I think that 16 has backed off a little.

But you still need stories like Boy/Girl Scout meetings, church meetings, blood drives or whatever. Even community getting together fairs or food festivals would work?

Old 03-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Unfortunately fisheye not enough residents of APCP come on this forum. Although they really need to I am not in the position at this time to get the news out there. I have a very sick mom out of state and I work out of state so I am never available to get to the meetings. Eventually I will try and get to the meetings to speak and possibly see if I can write an article in the community paper. I'm sure people are tired of just hearing me defend my community. It was great to see LinnieLee33 step up. What she wrote is exactly how I feel. She nailed it!!! But it would be nice to see someone else step up and voice their opinions about living in APCP. But like I am always defending it seems like the same ole people are always on the offensive. I will be here to keep it all honest. Reality is its not perfect but the truth is it still is a very nice place to live. It is a diverse community with some really awesome people from all spectrums of life. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:00 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Unfortunately fisheye not enough residents of APCP come on this forum. Although they really need to I am not in the position at this time to get the news out there. I have a very sick mom out of state and I work out of state so I am never available to get to the meetings. Eventually I will try and get to the meetings to speak and possibly see if I can write an article in the community paper. I'm sure people are tired of just hearing me defend my community. It was great to see LinnieLee33 step up. What she wrote is exactly how I feel. She nailed it!!! But it would be nice to see someone else step up and voice their opinions about living in APCP. But like I am always defending it seems like the same ole people are always on the offensive. I will be here to keep it all honest. Reality is its not perfect but the truth is it still is a very nice place to live. It is a diverse community with some really awesome people from all spectrums of life. I wouldn't want it any other way.
Sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is also having problems. Good luck with the cheer leading! It is in everybody's best interest.

Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 AM

Default The Ball is in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother. My mother is also having problems. Good luck with the cheer leading! It is in everybody's best interest.
This morning I wrote to the community administrator about writing a small article in the Pocono Country Place newspaper, that comes out every 2 months. It is about time people stand up for their community and to have their say as a property owner. We must stand up to the bitter people on here posting about what once was APCP. I hope the community admin and the residents take the time to stand up for themselves and protect their investments. Its about time they push back.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-16-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:39 PM

I am proud to announce that my email to APCP was taken seriously and that it is the intent of the community admin to begin a campaign of positive and fair media treatment my community deserves. I have all intent on being a part of it if asked to do so. I'd love for Linnielee33 to join the crusade. The time for change is now. Thanks to all who encouraged me to stand my ground and to speak out. Appreciate the support...

Old 03-30-2015, 08:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
[quote=fisheye;38994573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post

I have said this before on other threads: As a community you have to work at changing your image. Fortunately; now might be the time. Perhaps the other resident was right about the Pocono Record and a grudge? But the Pocono Record, as a newspaper/new source, is almost dead. Looking at what they offer now and how many classified adds they have; how long do you think they have left? Plus they don't even have local news anymore - it is more boot stepping with the national media (just political BS).

Of course that leads to the question of where should we turn for news of the area? I see that Channel 69 has stepped up it's coverage. I think that 16 has backed off a little.

But you still need stories like Boy/Girl Scout meetings, church meetings, blood drives or whatever. Even community getting together fairs or food festivals would work?
If you have cable, Blue Ridge Channel 13 does a good job of covering Monroe County. They broadcast things like the Stroudsburg St. Patrick's Day parade, local high school sports, etc.

It might be worth a shot contacting them, next time you have a community event. Easter egg hunts, clothing drives, and so on seem to be their bread and butter.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 PM

17 posts, read 20,267 times
Oh please this is actually a topic on citydata? That is so disappointing. I grew up in PCP and went to the so called bad school Pocono Mountain West (class of 2011) and can say that it's bad reputation is just racism plain and simple. I have sinced moved to Pittsburgh but my parents still live there and I visit them often. PCP got a bad rap just because a large percentage of blacks were purposely segregated their by realtors who took advantage of their lack of knowledge of the area and made sure to only show blacks looking to move to the Pococnos houses in that development. So of course by local whites thinking at the time if a community has a large percentage of blacks and spanish population coming from NY/NJ it just has to be the ghetto. And that is how PCP got a bad rap. And before anyone tries to tell me differently, just remeber that I unlike you actually grew up in the neighborhood during the time of mass white flight and hysteria that the "blacks were coming", so I unlike you had a front row seat to what all went down and can speak on it 13 years later since the day my family moved to PCP. I unlike you, played in the streets with the other children well into dark, rode my bike freely around the neighborhood, attended parties at the "clubhouse", got excited by sightings of the resident black bear (aww is he still there?) and all around had great preteen and teenage years that never resembled anything like the BS that has always been perpetuated by the local newspaper and surrounding racist counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania