Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,098,909 times

Advertisements

My buddy and I are doing some climbing this weekend but I think that by next week we'll be in the river. They are calling for rain towards the end of the week and our avergae has been up for 2008 by at least 6 inches in the area so hopefully the water level will hold. Its just under 3' today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
My buddy and I are doing some climbing this weekend but I think that by next week we'll be in the river. They are calling for rain towards the end of the week and our avergae has been up for 2008 by at least 6 inches in the area so hopefully the water level will hold. Its just under 3' today.
The forecast is for some pretty moderate-to-heavy rain for Friday evening and Saturday. Hopefully that will help to keep the water levels at a perfect level for the RiverFest. I hope you all have a wonderful time!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The forecast is for some pretty moderate-to-heavy rain for Friday evening and Saturday. Hopefully that will help to keep the water levels at a perfect level for the RiverFest. I hope you all have a wonderful time!
Anytime you want to go down the river Paul I'll take you. Its not difficult and your in shape so why not? I have 4 kayaks and all the gear that is needed for 4 people. Let me know.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Anytime you want to go down the river Paul I'll take you. Its not difficult and your in shape so why not? I have 4 kayaks and all the gear that is needed for 4 people. Let me know.
Thanks for the offer, Dan. I just might have to take you up on that sometime, as I've always wanted to do some kayaking. I have a major job interview on April 22, so after that I'll have a better idea of what my typical work schedule will be like in the summer (if all goes well it will FINALLY be a "regular" shift instead of not being able to make plans more than two weeks in advance working these swing shifts). I don't have the best sense of balance or hand-eye co-ordination though; I'm already picturing myself rowing myself around in circles!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Its not hard at all. Honestly the kayaks that I use are very stable and you would have no trouble. Paul I'm home most days so PM a few days ahead of time and I'm there. Honestly I think you should do it for no other reason then you would be familiar with another plus for the city of Scranton.

Its a great natural resource that is right in the middle of the valley and the city and most people just drive by, over or along it and never really see the beauty of the river, they have no idea that there is Class A trout fishery right in their back yards.

The river above and thru the city is a beautiful thing to see, especially in the early morning hours.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Its not hard at all. Honestly the kayaks that I use are very stable and you would have no trouble. Paul I'm home most days so PM a few days ahead of time and I'm there. Honestly I think you should do it for no other reason then you would be familiar with another plus for the city of Scranton.

Its a great natural resource that is right in the middle of the valley and the city and most people just drive by, over or along it and never really see the beauty of the river, they have no idea that there is Class A trout fishery right in their back yards.

The river above and thru the city is a beautiful thing to see, especially in the early morning hours.
Very true. Most people I know here in the Wyoming Valley look at the Susquehanna River and think "Icky!!!" I'm sure the same goes for those of you "up da line" who enjoy the river but are regarded as being crazy for going anywhere near it by others who have never set foot in it. As for me, I park across the street from the major new riverfront project they've been doing in Wilkes-Barre, and I truly can't wait until it's finished. Neither can many of my friends and professors here on campus. I'm hopeful that once people are able to use the walkway right beside the river that they'll grow a newfound appreciation for it. Yeah, the Butler Mine Tunnel in Pittston sucks, but I think the river is probably much cleaner now than it has been in years. I don't think you'll realistically ever see people having regatta races in the Susquehanna as they do in Newport, RI, but canoeing, kayaking, etc. should be encouraged---it would be a good source of new tourism dollars in both Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties if the rivers are promoted more.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM

411 posts, read 1,290,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks for the offer, Dan. I just might have to take you up on that sometime, as I've always wanted to do some kayaking. I have a major job interview on April 22, so after that I'll have a better idea of what my typical work schedule will be like in the summer (if all goes well it will FINALLY be a "regular" shift instead of not being able to make plans more than two weeks in advance working these swing shifts). I don't have the best sense of balance or hand-eye co-ordination though; I'm already picturing myself rowing myself around in circles!
Hey Paul...round and round is okay...you just don't want to go over and over..like a windowshade..that isn't good

You should take Dan up on the offer. Great way to appreciate the area from a different perspective..one that can only be gotten via a boat.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hey Dan, where do you climb? We use to boulder on the peneplain above Roaring Brook above the Holiday Inn in Dunmore. They must be glacial erratics. Conglomerate boulders for the most part. Not sure if that area is posted.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

The cliffs in the notch by Chinchilla and the cliffs in the notch going up to Justice. There are some good buoldering areas of the morgan highway as well. We used to climb in Nay Aug but once they put the davis trail in there is noway to climb without being seen.

There are some lead climbs and I have bolted a few in the past but for the most part its all top roped.

There also is a fair amount fo ice climbing when we get the cold weather in the area as well.

I spent years climbing at the quarry in Penn State and in NH, UT, CO and did some mountaineering in the Mount Baker wilderness area in WA for a summer. Many trips up Mt washington in the middle of the winter as well.

Here is a funny story. I used to live on St. Thomas and was working construction and running a few boats and I missed the climbing so we had our gear shipped down and in between St. John and St. Thomas is this rock outcrop that had cliffs that shot up 50' out of the water. We would run the zodiac upto the rocks and place a cam or two to tie the boat off to and just climbed from the boat. It was nice lead climbing too. No rappell down, just jump. The water was 80' deep at the cliff base.

I just don't have the time like I used to and I'm sure you know what I mean.

I miss my 20's.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:33 PM

Thought I would include a few more pictures of the Lacky. Some are from Last year's Riverfest, and some from previous year's event. The blurry one was a scan from a trip my brother and I did on the upper section between Stillwater Dam above Forest City and Simpson. It is a very beautiful stream up there.

Picture 1. Man over board - someone separated from their canoe right after the start of last year's Canoefest

Picture 2. To Dan, that would be the same hole we have discussed at very low water last year.

Picture 3. My buddy Dan and his exchange student from Germany at the start of the race in Mellow Park..two years ago...btw...Hannah loved the river and Pennsylvania

Picture 4. Me heading downstream in the upper reaches of the Lacky..It is fantastic up there (sorry about the quality - its a scan from a picture)

Picture 5. Me above the first bridge in Jessup (I think that is where it was)
Attached Thumbnails
scranton living?-dscf4627.jpg   scranton living?-dscf4628.jpg   scranton living?-dan-hannah.jpg   scranton living?-me-downriver.jpg   scranton living?-meonlacky3.jpg  

Last edited by NEPA-x-pat; 04-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: descritiptions of photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania