Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM

60 posts, read 158,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconosmama View Post
I agree you never know who your neighbors really are until you're in.
Actually, you may never know your neighbors even after you're in. I've been here (Milford) 4 months and haven't met anyone yet. Yes, that's partly my fault for not being more proactive, but I never see anyone out and about so there hasn't been much opportunity. Kinda weird compared to the rural Midwest, but I'm adapting.

Toon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Maybe it is different here, but back where I am from school districts truly indicate the wealth and education of a neighborhood.

The Hat

Old 01-24-2008, 04:41 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,130,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
I saw an piece on the today show regarding checking out neighborhoods/neighbors before you move. I have had a hard time getting on the website: rottenneighbors.com

Also, there was a real estate agent on the show that suggested before anyone moves into a new neighborhood to go there at rush hour, at night on the weekends and get out and talk to people. Everyone can give their slant on whether a neighborhood is good or bad on this forum - but the best thing to do is to walk around and ring doorbells and talk to people.

I only wish I had done this before I moved.

The Hat
That is good advice and exactly what I did. It took me and my wife years before we decided where we wanted to live we looked from AZ,FL, upstate NY
different parts of PA, New Hope, Doylestown..etc, but each place we were interested in the first thing we would do is: check crime stats and sexual predators online. stay a weekend check out the areas morning noon and night. walk around the areas, talk to merchants, talk to the police there, I had already knew about the areas even before the realtor took us there.once we saw a home we liked , spoke to the neighbors, checked the surrounding neighborhood to see what was around the area. That is what you must do .

Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 AM

Co artist, thanks for sharing your personal story. Making a home is a big inviestment and I wish we had the foresight to do what you did. Looks and sizes of houses are deceiving. If we had done our homework we would have put on our running shoes!

The Hat

Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Quote:
Maybe it is different here, but back where I am from school districts truly indicate the wealth and education of a neighborhood.

The Hat
Yes..I agree...on Long Island this would certainly hold true. But here, say for instance the North Pocono school District, or the Wallenpaupack or Western Wayne school District....they all span a VERY large area. Everything from McMansions or even Mansions, to trailer parks. Not to mention...people who come from everywhere.

While being very selective with 'who' we live with sounds like a great idea, this can certainly backfire when raising children. One thing I am greatful for since moving to PA, my children are accepting of all, no matter what their income is. They don't judge anyone by their purse, sneakers, or jeans. I'm so greatful to leave that back on L.I. The Western Wayne School District has 44% of it students living below the poverty level according to statistics. (Ohhhh...how I love statistics!)

Old 01-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Yes..I agree...on Long Island this would certainly hold true. But here, say for instance the North Pocono school District, or the Wallenpaupack or Western Wayne school District....they all span a VERY large area. Everything from McMansions or even Mansions, to trailer parks. Not to mention...people who come from everywhere.

While being very selective with 'who' we live with sounds like a great idea, this can certainly backfire when raising children. One thing I am greatful for since moving to PA, my children are accepting of all, no matter what their income is. They don't judge anyone by their purse, sneakers, or jeans. I'm so greatful to leave that back on L.I. The Western Wayne School District has 44% of it students living below the poverty level according to statistics. (Ohhhh...how I love statistics!)
I think it is good that you are teaching your children to be accepting of everyone. I will teach my daughter the same thing, except that I hope to instill street smarts in her. It doesn't matter how much a person makes but what matters is their moral values and how they treat people. I like that analogy you said about L.I. because I see many Long Islanders and Staten Islanders bringing that mentality to PA.

The Hat

Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
I think it is good that you are teaching your children to be accepting of everyone. I will teach my daughter the same thing, except that I hope to instill street smarts in her. It doesn't matter how much a person makes but what matters is their moral values and how they treat people. I like that analogy you said about L.I. because I see many Long Islanders and Staten Islanders bringing that mentality to PA.

The Hat
Exactly! I too agree with I Love PA...all my children were reared with the old "don't judge a book but its cover". But on LI materialize seems to be the driving force behind so many people it is scary. My two eldest (18&19) have struggled not to try and "keep up with the Jones" which often made them stand out. It always makes me wonder what is missing in their lives that they are trying to fill with stuff!

My daughter was going to stay on LI till she received her Associates from Suffolk. Since Mommy and Daddy left her, the blinders are totally off and she has decided to move up here with us. She said that she always knew that many people looked down on others because of clothing, towns cars yadda yadda yadda; but now that she is footing the bill she has realized it truly is an insane life style and she wants no part of it.

I am so proud of her...she is getting off the Island young and can learn from the down to earth folks here in NEPA what the good life truly means!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Exactly! I too agree with I Love PA...all my children were reared with the old "don't judge a book but its cover". But on LI materialize seems to be the driving force behind so many people it is scary. My two eldest (18&19) have struggled not to try and "keep up with the Jones" which often made them stand out. It always makes me wonder what is missing in their lives that they are trying to fill with stuff!

My daughter was going to stay on LI till she received her Associates from Suffolk. Since Mommy and Daddy left her, the blinders are totally off and she has decided to move up here with us. She said that she always knew that many people looked down on others because of clothing, towns cars yadda yadda yadda; but now that she is footing the bill she has realized it truly is an insane life style and she wants no part of it.

I am so proud of her...she is getting off the Island young and can learn from the down to earth folks here in NEPA what the good life truly means!

I have a lot of family on the Island and this is just my perception maybe I am wrong. It seems to be a "fast lane" there. Sweet sixteen parties, more expensive than weddings. Do children really need all that. Or is "keeping up with the Jones" Well, I think it is wrong when a parent wants to be a friend to their child and not a parent.

Another craze on L.I. is that boyfriends/girlfriends moving into each other rooms......shacking up under their parents roof. I find L.I. in general very materialistic. And, I have seen that same attitude come up to this area.

LoveInBloom, I applaud you for teaching your daughter values. Being down to earth is a great attribute and will pay off in years to come.

The Hat

Old 01-27-2008, 05:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Long Island is rediculously materialistic!!!!!! The Sweet 16's were out of control 10 years ago! The kids grow up thinknin they are entitled to everything. They all turn into Bridezillas. I find the gift registries obnoxious, and the list of wants completely rude and unrealistic. Ok..gift registries are here to stay, bt I think asking for CASH is just plain rude. They have lost their grip with reality and with what is really important in life. I am so glad my children were not raised there.
boyfriends and girlfriends moving into each others rooms?? Now that is just insane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania