Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
For those who think there is no culture or arts in the area, I offer the following venues. This does not include many of the other area venues or events we have in the immediate area.

The F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts

Little Theatre of Willkes-Barre -

Music Box Players - A Community theatre group appearing at The Music Box Dinner Playhouse

Sordoni Art Gallery - Wilkes University

Wyoming Valley Art League |

Widmann Art Gallery | King's College

Northeastern Pennsylvania Philharmonic |

Fine Arts Fiesta | Enjoy the Enrichment

Gaslight Theatre Company - Home

Nuangola Grove

As for the apparent lack of good food in the area, I direct your attention to the following:

Peculiar Catering Pittston NEPA Scranton Caterer Wedding Pennsylvania Pop Up Restaurant | PCC is a bit different from the rest, taking classic comfort food and putting a peculiar twist on it. We also pride ourselves in using locally sourced and fresh

http://whattheforktruck.com/

279 Bar & Grill

Thai Thai Restaurant

Le MANHATTAN BISTRO | Foodly. Friendly. Frenchly.

Circles on the Square, Wilkes-Barre, PA

Bart & Urby's | Downtown Bar & Bistro

Canteen 900 - Real Food. Real PeopleCanteen 900 | Real Food. Real People

Cork Bar and Restaurant

The River Street Jazz Cafe | The River Street Jazz Cafe
Good post...as are others in this and many similar threads and info sources. This complaint about dining, culture, shopping etc. comes up a cupla/tree times a year. Many old posts address it (Note to OP: read lots of old posts).

Given this, there should be a sticky thread in this 'moving/relocation' focused forum on some common, recurring topics, rather than repeating the questions and expecting folks to answer repeatedly...people can add/update as appropriate (heyna?).

The OP asked about W-B but Scranton (geographically and 'culturally') is similar and linked by the many smaller 'suburban' towns between, which are an integral part of NEPA culture...both good and bad. The list of places and things is at least as long and could be posted here (again). Besides this "QOL" stuff, many intangibles like unhurried lifestyles, decent small colleges, youth sports, beautiful adjacent scenery etc etc. (what is important to YOU?).

Of course there are exceptions at both ends of the spectrum.

There are good some excellent food places (Yelp, Tripadvisor, Urbanspoon, Google, etc. are places to start. Depending on where you live, you may have to drive 10-30 minutes occasionally to try some. And, sure there are a lot of Italian places but that's historical. Menus are changing quickly as the area 'evolves'.).

However, NEPA (nor many similar size cities) are NYC, Boston, Philly, or Pittsburgh (arguably even parts of Lehigh Valley). Anyone who doesn't get this is a little slow. Besides dining (and COL, shopping, schools...etc) the same goes for "culture" and things to do. (what is important to YOU?)

For info use Tripadvisor, Yelp and other review sites, who keep building databases of these...not all are great sources but they are useful input in assessing an unfamiliar area. Then there are always the town, city and county web sites. IF there was a NEPA sticky, these could all be placed there too...but I infer the C-D folks really don't want to do this..yet anyway. Heck there are even (perish the thought) NEWSPAPERS, including online versions.

...and for those who want to live somewhere else, but do big city things sometimes, few places are as convenient to most large metro areas of NE USA as NEPA. Maybe that's why there are so many tricking and warehouse business there ... ya think? (what is important to YOU?)

Back to the OP's situation for a moment...

Quote:
Just for some perspective: I live in Brooklyn, in a high-crime, dilapidated area with some of the highest real estate prices in the country. Where you are lucky to find a 2 bedroom hole in the wall for $2500.

So Wilkes-Barre looks mighty good.
(what is important to YOU?)

Some how I don't think the quality of the pizza or museums are so bad that s/he shouldn't CAREFULLY continue to consider living in NEPA...somewhere. It is a big area. Prospects must do homework, homework, homework (including a few visits and if possible renting a while...even talk to the neighbors and police when you find what you think is 'the place'). Follow this by realistic expectations and a good memory of the BAD stuff one left behind...not just the good stuff.

Life is full of tradeoffs and decisions. Perspective and priority matter. NEPA ain't perfect...no where near perfect. It's somewhere between lousy and very good, depending on one's expectations, priorities, and measurements, at a given point in time and life...just like the rest of the world.

One more comment to the OP: Jobs are hard to find in NEPA especially at 'city' pay. Be sure you have or don't need one before you jump ship. It can take a long time if ever to find one.

Sorry for the tome. I would have made it shorter but I didn't have the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
This complaint about dining, culture, shopping etc. comes up a cupla/tree times a year. Many old posts address it (Note to OP: read lots of old posts).
IMO this areas greatest asset is nature and the semi rural locations outside of the Valley. . It's not for everyone but if that is something you enjoy this is the place for you. Spend a week on the river in a canoe. It's a very unique experience. The river is very much under utilized.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM

331 posts, read 639,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette73 View Post
I'm just suspicious of some of the low real estate prices I see and I'm wondering "what's the catch"? Or whether there are certain areas that are better to stay away from.
There's nothing really there in terms of employment. It's a small city, too, at about 40k. Much of the really cheap housing there is run down. You get what you pay for.

I think if you're from NYC/BK, it's going to be a bit of a culture shock going from where you have 10 million folks around you to having a fraction of that, and most of them families who have lived there for generations.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusingRotary View Post
There's nothing really there in terms of employment. It's a small city, too, at about 40k. Much of the really cheap housing there is run down. You get what you pay for.
Yes and no. A property in the right neighborhood in or near a major city might go for 1 million and a comparable property here with same lot size, condition etc. might cost you $250 to $300K. It's the location that makes the difference....

Old 07-30-2015, 05:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes and no. A property in the right neighborhood in or near a major city might go for 1 million and a comparable property here with same lot size, condition etc. might cost you $250 to $300K. It's the location that makes the difference....
Houses in very livable condition can be bought here for under $80,000, seeing is believing and I have seen. I have looked at houses near the New Jersey Beach and couldn't believe the asking prices for the quality of houses. Near shack shanty level homes for $300,000, look at a "livable" one and you were past $500,000 and they were still tiny. This was 10 blocks from the beach too, not like you could smell the salt air or get an easy walk to the ocean. You were far enough away that you still needed a car and the price was still unreasonable.

We were living in an apartment in Montgomery County just north of Philadelphia when we first started looking and even there we looked at a dilapidated rowhome for $150,000. The train tracks right in the backyard and you could hear the neighbors talking at the dinner table. No privacy or peace and quiet, close to a busy road and still expensive for what you got. We looked up here because we like the nature and couldn't believe what we could get for under $80,000. Living proof here that affordable housing doesn't mean there must be something wrong with them.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
Default NYC to WB

Hi, I'm new to this forum. This is my first post. I'm getting ready to buy a house, somewhere in Luzerne County / Wyoming Valley and came here looking for similar answers. The difference is, I was born and raised here. However, I moved to Central VA in '98 and returned here in '12. So, I will say this. It aint what it used to be. I was / still am appalled at the deterioration of the area. As several others have said, the political machines, oand verall mindset of the natives will never allow the area, and WB in particular, to ever reach it's full potential, else, it wouldn't have been allowed to deteriorate to the point it's at now.

I came back here after a car accident that left me disabled at the urgency of 20+ years friends. I live in an apartment not 3 blocks from the home I used to own, in what, at one time used to be a very desirable location. When I told friends I was looking at this apartment, they warned me to stay away, that it was in the ghetto, etc. Well, the ghetto is about 2 blocks away, but I can honestly say that it's a quiet neighborhood, and I haven't heard much about any kind of crime here. I go out, alone, during the day. I've approached neighbors, to pet a puppy, ask a question, yada, and have never been afraid, have always been treated with respect and kindness. Neighbors have approached me, to open a door, or offer help of some kind, when they see me out and about, alone, in my jazzy. Maybe I've been lucky. Maybe the people aren't as bad as they're made out to be and the deterioration of the area itself is what gives it that kind of reputation.

It's definitely true that there are some really bad areas that need to be avoided, but that's anywhere, isn't it?

I'll also say that, my job required me to travel Central VA and I've been in the absolute worst neighborhoods there, including Richmond and Charlottesville. WB is worse, both in appearance and crime rate, than any of them.

I think that, to a degree, how safe you are, not only depends on the area you chose, but your overall attitude and how you treat others. If you're going to go around acting fearful, like everyone is a threat, that's how you're going to be perceived, and the wrong people are going to find you. If you aren't tolerant, vigilant, don't exercise common sense, you're inviting trouble.

Real extate prices are great here. But, not just because it's a crime ridden ghetto. It's a low economic area. The biggest reason I'm choosing to stay, rather than go back to VA, aside from my friends being here, is that I can buy twice as much house, twice as nice a house for half as much money as I can in VA.

What people from out of the area don't realize, too, is that WB isn't surrounded by rural areas. Community butts up against community, so you aren't limited to WB to find a place in a populated area.

So, I've run my mouth much more than I'd anticipated when I started, and still haven't asked my question.

I'm looking at houses on Meade and Diebel Sts. in the city and on Luzerne St on the WB / Hanover Twp border. Yay or Nay to any or all?

Dorothy

Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Don't even look at North... anything--Grant, Sherman, Meade--in the heights. They're too close to Sherman Hills. Some of the South blocks are OK, and others are split. My mother lived on South Street between Sherman and Grant. She never had a problem. South between Sherman and Meade is probably fine, but my friend said there is a problem with a couple of rentals in that block. My S-I-L lives on Kent lane. She had a break in about ten years ago. There was nothing before and nothing since.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:44 PM

14 posts, read 20,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
...and for those who want to live somewhere else, but do big city things sometimes, few places are as convenient to most large metro areas of NE USA as NEPA. Maybe that's why there are so many tricking and warehouse business there ... ya think? (what is important to YOU?)

Back to the OP's situation for a moment...

(what is important to YOU?)

Some how I don't think the quality of the pizza or museums are so bad that s/he shouldn't CAREFULLY continue to consider living in NEPA...somewhere. It is a big area. Prospects must do homework, homework, homework (including a few visits and if possible renting a while...even talk to the neighbors and police when you find what you think is 'the place'). Follow this by realistic expectations and a good memory of the BAD stuff one left behind...not just the good stuff.

Life is full of tradeoffs and decisions. Perspective and priority matter. NEPA ain't perfect...no where near perfect. It's somewhere between lousy and very good, depending on one's expectations, priorities, and measurements, at a given point in time and life...just like the rest of the world.

One more comment to the OP: Jobs are hard to find in NEPA especially at 'city' pay. Be sure you have or don't need one before you jump ship. It can take a long time if ever to find one.

Sorry for the tome. I would have made it shorter but I didn't have the time
Good access to the city, while not being in the city, is a plus.
Access to nature, plus.
Fewer dining/cultural options, not a big deal for me.
I just don't want to end up with more of the same that I'm trying to get away from--i.e. dirty crime-ridden streets. Now I know that WB proper is not my only option and there are plenty of nicer areas available. The main perks: more house for less money, and being close to job. I love the idea of walking to work in the morning. (Yes I already have a job prospect, although it's not definite yet. Otherwise this conversation would not be happening.)

Thanks to all who replied.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:12 AM

31 posts, read 35,099 times
I am late the party...but here are some of my observations, having moved to Kingston (just next to WB) in October 2014.
  • WB does have some bad areas, but also has decent ones. I like the downtown area - it's got history and the buildings are beautiful. But...it can be sketchy in the evenings so you need to be careful. That said, I've NEVER been harassed or felt threatened when going to dinner to the movies or the Kirby center. I use the local YMCA downtown and that's been a great experience.
  • WB has an awesome seasonal farmer's market on Thursday's in the square downtown. I love it!
  • WB restaurants are hit or miss. We have found a few gems and are still scouting out more! Recently opened is What The Fork and they have some great, fresh "fast" food; Katana is also next door and they have good sushi. There are many chain restaurants near the mall (just like any other mall area in the country...) if that's your thing. I like small, local, fresh...most places around here claim they have fresh burgers but are really frozen burger patties; same with fries and such. That's the kind of thing I run into...but again, we are still seeking out restaurants we like.
  • People here are not the most welcoming, but I've been lucky enough to work with many other "transplants" so we've been blending just fine! It's like anywhere else, there are good, bad and ugly folks; you just have to seek out the good ones!
  • This area is huge! PA is huge! Things are spread out...we have access to many stores and restaurants here but it's about 45 minutes or more to get to some other stores/activities we like. What sounds like it will be so close, isn't because many of the roads are rural highways. Beautiful rides though...
  • The nature is amazing! There are so many places to go and spend time - hiking, biking, camping, kayaking, etc. That is the part I think I love the most!
So, yeah - it's not one of the "big" cities (NY or Philly or such...) but it's been good so far. My teen is adjusting and like the area (didn't think that would happen) and we are settling in just fine. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help answer them - you can PM me for that.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times
Nice post Gen, I'm happy to see others here who have had a mostly positive experience. Lots of naysayers here as I am sure you have already seen but the area has so much going for it that a lot of the negative people just seem to overlook or miss. Glad you are not missing the good things this area has to offer, I know I'm not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania