Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM

23 posts, read 253,304 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd start an informal poll here on the area's best restaurants. I never place a lot of validity in the reader polls from the local freebies (it may be the most popular, and while I think they've got a great beer selection, I can't in good faith believe that people genuinely consider Cooper's to be the area's best restaurant).

That being said, what do you folks consider to be the area's 5 best restaurants? I'm defining "area" as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, its surrounding communities and parts of the Poconos, but feel free to expand/elaborate. Mine would be:

1. AV (Moosic)
2. Pepato (Clarks Summit)
3. Isabella (Wilkes-Barre)
4. Blu Wasabi (Dickson City)
5. Thai Rak Thai (Scranton)

Would love to hear about some place I haven't discovered or need to revisit.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,468 times
for the eightieth time.......Damenti's, south of Mountaintop. mangia.

Damenti's Restaurant for Distinctive Dining...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Harbor House on Keyse ave.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
1.) Damenti's, Mountain Top (Fine Dining)
2.) Theo's Metro, Kingston (Greek)
3.) Thai Thai, Downtown Wilkes-Barre (Thai)
4.) Mambo Italiano, Dupont (Italian)
5.) Brixx, Downtown Scranton (Pub Food)

Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,128,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
they have a mambo italiano in brooklyn NY which is excellent! I wonder if it is the same owners.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,128,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexcye View Post
Thought I'd start an informal poll here on the area's best restaurants. I never place a lot of validity in the reader polls from the local freebies (it may be the most popular, and while I think they've got a great beer selection, I can't in good faith believe that people genuinely consider Cooper's to be the area's best restaurant).

That being said, what do you folks consider to be the area's 5 best restaurants? I'm defining "area" as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, its surrounding communities and parts of the Poconos, but feel free to expand/elaborate. Mine would be:

1. AV (Moosic)
2. Pepato (Clarks Summit)
3. Isabella (Wilkes-Barre)
4. Blu Wasabi (Dickson City)
5. Thai Rak Thai (Scranton)

Would love to hear about some place I haven't discovered or need to revisit.

Thanks
pepetos is suppose to be good, you can also byob

Old 01-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
for the eightieth time.......Damenti's, south of Mountaintop. mangia.

Damenti's Restaurant for Distinctive Dining...
I looked at the website and, to be honest, the menu doesn't really excite me. Obviously you can't judge a place on paper, but can you tell me (for the eighty-first time) what it is that makes this the best restaurant in the area for you?

Thanks

Old 01-24-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Interested to try the Greek place. Thanks for the tip. Is Thai Thai the new place opened across from Katana? I believe it's from the same people who own Thai Rak Thai. If I'm not mistaken, Mambo Italiano is owned by the same folks who run Bistro Bistro in Kingston, a place I've always enjoyed but haven't been to for a couple years. Gotta get there again, and also want to try out Mambo.

Finally, no disrespect intended, but in the interest of offering alternate views, I think Brixx is really no better than any other TGIF chain in terms of the menu/food quality. Sorry

Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,468 times
Quote:
I looked at the website and, to be honest, the menu doesn't really excite me. Obviously you can't judge a place on paper, but can you tell me (for the eighty-first time) what it is that makes this the best restaurant in the area for you?

Thanks
Exceptional food. Great atmosphere.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Interested to try the Greek place. Thanks for the tip. Is Thai Thai the new place opened across from Katana? I believe it's from the same people who own Thai Rak Thai. If I'm not mistaken, Mambo Italiano is owned by the same folks who run Bistro Bistro in Kingston, a place I've always enjoyed but haven't been to for a couple years. Gotta get there again, and also want to try out Mambo.

Finally, no disrespect intended, but in the interest of offering alternate views, I think Brixx is really no better than any other TGIF chain in terms of the menu/food quality. Sorry
The Greek place is an old popcorn factory that was renovated into a restaurant with a great ambiance. It is located on Mercer Avenue in Kingston, which runs parallel to Wyoming Avenue (Route 11). I believe the prices are a little steep, but I only ever go there when my friends' family treats me.

Yes, Thai Thai is the new Thai restaurant (that was already robbed but I digress) near the Katana in the Midtown Village. I'm eager to use my $50 gift certificate for there that I got for Christmas; my partner is a very picky eater, so whatever he won't touch I'll chomp down on. This restaurant is owned by the same folks who own Thai Rak Thai in Downtown Scranton; they opened this second location to better serve their Luzerne County clientele.

The same folks own Mambo Italiano in Dupont and Bistro Bistro in Kingston. I haven't been to Mambo in ages, but I always enjoyed their food. Say what you will about Brixx, but I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania