Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepa76 View Post
Thing is, when it was lower income white folks sitting on their well kept porches having fights you werent fearful of someone going inside and coming back out with a machete or a gun. Or going and calling all thirty of their extended clan outside to cheer on the event. Single family homes, middle or lower class, were always well kept because people had pride in their homes. A lot of renters today don't have any thought to maintaining the places they're in this month, not when they can just demolish it, skip out at 2am, and just have brother in-law #12 rent out the next flophouse for the twenty member brood. People aren't just sick to death of Juan and Shaquanda for no reason, they've given ample reasons as to why longtime residents don't want them moving in next door or down the street.
WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepa76 View Post
LOL it sounds like Jersey because from there and NY is where it seems like we've been getting the influx of people from, along with Philly. Not sure about Dickson City, we shop up there (Target, Kohl's, Walmart) but never actually get down into the suburbs there. Jessup is still decent, as far as I know. Throop as well. I have old relatives living in Throop and they haven't really said anything about it getting bad. My aunt lives on the border of Scranton/Taylor and she has the same complaints we do about her neighborhood getting bad. Again, not sure about Old Forge, since no one I know lives down there. I think the Saint Ann's area of west side might still be sort of decent. My grandfather's house is right by there and it's slowly creeping in though. His neighbor's are starting to pass away and now he's got a white trash family next door that bought his sisters old house and a guy on the opposite side that's your age that seems ok. A Hispanic family just bought a house two doors down and a korean? family bought a house down the street and imnediatly opened a nail salon in the living room...lmao!
Nice to see you are an equal opportunity bigot. What is happening to Scranton is a result of Scranton...mismanaged government, families not interested in passing on family homes, apathy, neglect, cycle of poverty, you name a social ill, Scranton has it and it has been on the up tick since the industries left.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,613 times
The best thing for Scranton would be less Scranton. A chunk of the proceeds from the sewer authority sale should go toward selective demolition of the over abundance of housing stock. Clear whole blocks and rezone them for double lots, offer KOZs to stimulate new construction, and keep the process going. That is the only way you will see real improvement.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:50 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
oh yeah, that's the ticket...Urban Renewal, It was such a smashing success in the 50s-60s.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:35 PM

What else are you going to do? The average Scranton home does not meet the needs of the modern buyer. Property values dip, and homes are bought up, carved up, and filled with section 8 tenants. Whatever decent families are left on the block usually move out, compounding the problem. The biggest issue is that most lots are very narrow and can't accommodate a driveway and garage - most buyers won't even look at them.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 AM

yes, exactly the same thing is happening where I live...sad, but a reality, houses were built to put a roof over ones head years ago, and for that purpose only for the most part, unless you were rich.

Being a History buff and preservationist, hurts me to see old buildings with character and history being torn down and replaced with souless blocks...but, Charm and History does not pay the bills.

Sorry if I sounded harsh, Scrantonluna.
peace, Magoo

Old 04-30-2016, 10:37 AM

They were built before most people owned an automobile. Heck, even the "new" construction 50s-60s ranch houses often only have a 1 car garage. I'm not saying you have to bulldoze every one, I'm sure on some blocks removing every-other house would have the same effect. Just need someone with a vision and deep pockets. I've said on here for years that if I won the powerball I would buy up all of Pinebrook.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:10 PM

If I hit the Powerball I will bequest you a Magoo Grant to realize your dream...but my Maserati takes first priority.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:27 PM

Haha that's a deal.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:16 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
They were built before most people owned an automobile. Heck, even the "new" construction 50s-60s ranch houses often only have a 1 car garage. I'm not saying you have to bulldoze every one, I'm sure on some blocks removing every-other house would have the same effect. Just need someone with a vision and deep pockets. I've said on here for years that if I won the powerball I would buy up all of Pinebrook.
Some of the houses have been vacant for so long that they're not worth saving. There's no use taking them down to the studs when there are no redeeming architectural features. I watched my grandparent's rather nice brick home rot for years. It was built in the late 19th or early 20th century. Nice house, but nothing very special about it. I think it's still standing...and vacant and rotting.

Hopeless romantic that I am, I still miss the grande dame which used to stand on the corner of South Street and Park Avenue in Wilkes-Barre. It was the loveliest house on a street full of lovely homes. When it had been vacant for years, it was razed and an ugly, squatty, two story medical office went in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania