Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:41 PM

472 posts, read 779,200 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if anyone was driving for Uber in Scranton and is it worth doing. I'm thinking of doing it once I retire to pass time and make extra money. I'm such a people person... Any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
Was wondering if anyone was driving for Uber in Scranton and is it worth doing. I'm thinking of doing it once I retire to pass time and make extra money. I'm such a people person... Any input...
I doubt that you'll make much driving for Uber. If you drove in a bigger city, it might be worthwhile. My son's friend, Joey, got sent to live with the grandparents in Kensington, Philly, when he was a kid. He drove for Uber for about a year and made some serious dime because he picked up in all of the dicey neighborhoods. There were some good tips. They were thankful that someone would go to the 'hood. I don't see that happening in Scranton. I don't think you'd have enough business to make it worthwhile. Maybe weekend nights?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge621 View Post
They are trying to go robotic! Of course it will not happen overnight and could be many years away.

Why don't you look at security for Sanofi through Manpower? I have no idea if they are hiring; I could check for you. I'm currently laid off for a month or two and then will probably get another month off in December. It gives me some extra funds and I don't mind the production work; it keeps me in shape or, at least, still walking!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
They are trying to go robotic! Of course it will not happen overnight and could be many years away.

Why don't you look at security for Sanofi through Manpower? I have no idea if they are hiring; I could check for you. I'm currently laid off for a month or two and then will probably get another month off in December. It gives me some extra funds and I don't mind the production work; it keeps me in shape or, at least, still walking!
The driverless UBER cars are actually launching here in Pittsburgh in the next week or two. They will be offering free fares for anyone willing to help test them out. I see the vehicles driving around streets near my neighborhood all the time.

Next will be automated semis. I still have no idea where the millions who rely upon driving-related jobs are supposed to be absorbed into the workforce.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The driverless UBER cars are actually launching here in Pittsburgh in the next week or two. They will be offering free fares for anyone willing to help test them out. I see the vehicles driving around streets near my neighborhood all the time.

Next will be automated semis. I still have no idea where the millions who rely upon driving-related jobs are supposed to be absorbed into the workforce.
I still hold a Class A license. I am glad that I do not have to drive to make a living anymore; our world is changing very fast. It was bad enough that that they opened the doors to seek out cheap labor; this will be the start of the end. Big business, using this new form of 'cheap' labor, will not stop until everybody is out of work. Even if we could turn back the hands of time in the US; other countries would not and, therefore, we would no longer be competitive - the genie is out of the box.

Of course it will only take one major accident to send this new industry back to the drawing board. I am not that confident that this will not get off the ground without a hitch. Show me any electronic gizmo today that doesn't have problems? Moving 80,000, pounds without any driver at 65 MPH or faster, and electronics that can fail or succumb to hackers; could be dangerous - of course they can say the same of human drivers. I am aware that the statistical analysis points to fewer accidents with the robotics - maybe I just resent and fear the change?

Old 08-25-2016, 10:27 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Pittsburgh? Why not Philly? Too much traffic in Philly?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:55 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
I have a propensity for Driving people Crazy...

my cross to bear.

My ex tells people I drove her to drink...
That was my pleasure.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 08-26-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-26-2016, 05:25 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Pittsburgh? Why not Philly? Too much traffic in Philly?
Carnegie Mellon University.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:47 PM

472 posts, read 779,200 times
Uber in Scranton people. I tried, I failed if you needed to survive doing it in NEPA you wouldn't make it. I did have fun, met awesome people but to make $$$ no can do. I have gone back to my roots. Jersey City boy at heart. I drive my old neighborhood and think about my youth. Its actually relaxing and soothes my mind. I am considering coming down 2 days a week and doing about $200 a day. Actually its a pretty constant, steady pace, its fun and time goes quickly. Love it... 2 more days to retirement people, no rush I want to enjoy the final moments... I'll miss it as crazy as that sounds...

Old 09-25-2016, 02:35 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,097 times
@Sarge 621...Health and Happiness in your retirement..and you will be surprised how your day will fill up with things to do..even in your retirement..

Jersey City. ..my daughter lives there..husband commutes to his Journalist job at WSJ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania