Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:27 AM
lhp lhp started this thread

13 posts, read 21,072 times

Advertisements

I have read through many threads and I do appreciate the time and information.

There is a chance that we are going to be transferred to this area.

We are from the South (born and raised in Mississippi) and currently live in West Tennessee.

The area we want to settle in needs to be within a 20 minute drive of the Allentown-Bethlehem area.

What would your recommendation be if someone is looking for:

hospital
low crime
Walmart (I don't ask for much)
availability of land (we are tired of living in a subdivision)

We are looking to spend a maximum of $500,000.00.

Our children are grown so the school system is not an issue.
We love laid back, "Mayberry" atmosphere. We are the kind of neighbors who don't ask for anything, mind our own business, but will be the first to help if needed.

We want to know we are safe. We are not into the Arts and don't need to be entertained. We travel a lot...that is our entertainment. So when we are home...we just want a front porch and peace and quiet.

I have also noticed that many of the fairly new homes listed have no fireplace???? Is there a reason???

Thanks for any suggestions. If we do get moved to that area, it will probably be within the next 6 months.

Thanks for the tips about flooding and mine "subs" and the taxes.

Last edited by lhp; 02-24-2008 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
We love laid back, "Mayberry" atmosphere. We are the kind of neighbors who don't ask for anything, mind our own business, but will be the first to help if needed.

I am partial to the Lake area which is west of Milford/Dingmans. Honesdale is on the top of the list and Clarks Summit. Regarding the above issue, when you find a neighborhood that has neighbors like the one's you describe...........please let "the Hat" know.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post

I am partial to the Lake area which is west of Milford/Dingmans. Honesdale is on the top of the list and Clarks Summit. Regarding the above issue, when you find a neighborhood that has neighbors like the one's you describe...........please let "the Hat" know.
Pike County is a good suggestion overall, but it doesn't meet this person's requirements for being within a 20-minute commute of Allentown/Bethlehem. I'd probably suggest Emmaus, Kutztown, or Northampton to them. The Macungie area is nothing but sprawl central with subdivisions galore, as are Forks Township, Palmer Township, and a few other townships. Fountain Hill is very nice too, but there's not much land to be had here; most homes are situated on typical city (50' x 150' or so) lots. They might even want to check into Bangor, Palmerton, or Lehighton, but these three towns are a bit economically-depressed.

Welcome in advance to NEPA! You may also want to post this inquiry on the Lehigh Valley sub-forum, where you may find more who are able to help you with inquiries relating to Lehigh and/or Northampton Counties.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,316 times
You know I always try to be the optimist but realism tells me that if they want a 20 minute commute to Allentown they need to live in Allentown. The traffic on 78 during rush hour comes to a stand still.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Thanks so much for the input. Thankfully, traffic should not be an issue on a daily basis since hubby would be working out of the home most of the time.

I will definately check out the areas you suggested.

(and thanks for the welcome to NEPA)

Highat: If you want neighbors like I described....move in next to us!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 AM

755 posts, read 2,333,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post

We want to know we are safe. We are not into the Arts and don't need to be entertained. We travel a lot...that is our entertainment. So when we are home...we just want a front porch and peace and quiet.
I had to jump in on this one...if you want "Mayberry" then Shohola is for you... As we were told by one of our "two" town police officers jokingly referred to it as "Mayberry" and our two officers could, of course, be "Andy & Barney"...lol...

You will also find a lot for your $500k around here...even new...and won't have to worry about neighbors. We have a little over 4 acres and our nearest neighbors are a minimum of 1/4 mile away.

Your only drawback would be that you would be about an hour and a half from Allentown.

Good luck in your search. If you need a good realtor in this area, feel free to PM me.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:51 AM

201 posts, read 538,951 times
My sister moved to Zionsville a few years ago. Outside her development is not that great, a lot of older houses and some farm land, but hers is nice. She seems to be happy there. Most of the houses in that develpment range from #300,000 to about $750,000.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff18wife View Post
I had to jump in on this one...if you want "Mayberry" then Shohola is for you... As we were told by one of our "two" town police officers jokingly referred to it as "Mayberry" and our two officers could, of course, be "Andy & Barney"...lol...

You will also find a lot for your $500k around here...even new...and won't have to worry about neighbors. We have a little over 4 acres and our nearest neighbors are a minimum of 1/4 mile away.

Your only drawback would be that you would be about an hour and a half from Allentown.

Good luck in your search. If you need a good realtor in this area, feel free to PM me.
I just found out that Shohola may actually be an option. One of the hubby's co-workers lives in Kingston, Ny which is not far from Shohola. So we may not be limited to the 20 minutes from Allentown after all!!!

He flies into Pittsburg on Monday and will be there all week for meetings.

As soon as I get even the slightest hint of a transfer rumor...I am headed to Pa to do some "investigating"!!!

Thanks folks!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
on your budget i would look for a large tract of land near a turnpike exit and build a custom home. i know the wilkes-barre exit has what you ask for, the Pocono exit may, and i'm completely unsure of what is off the lehighton exit.

fireplaces are very do-able in the area. when i lived there and designed custom homes we did a lot of them. i'm surprised your having trouble finding a newer home with one.

i used to live in bear creek and commuted to Allentown for college, then work from 1999-2002. it was about a 45-60 minute drive each way, rarely any trouble on the turnpike and in hindsight i'm glad i didn't do it any other way. I just wish i had my 50 mile per gallon volkswagen diesel then, instead of the 86 ford temp gasser i was driving!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:05 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I would move in the opposite direction from Allentown. In the Doylestown area.....
Furlong.......around there. Drive North to Allentown.
There is good land, and it is a hub to Allentown, and other larger areas.
Walmarts, and Hospitals are there also.
Doylestown is quaint, charming, safe.........
Little book stores, cobblestone roads, outside cafe's.....
Its just a town you fall in love with on first visit.........do search on top here......put Doylestown......I think there should be some pictures of part of the town anyhow.
Best of Luck......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania